Southeast Texas King Cab

front tires look very strange in the wheel wells you sure you measured right?

In that picture, there are some parts unbolted in the front end, and the wheel poking out is making it look worse.

This is it back when I had the other wheels and everything lined up just right.

IMG_20120226_200023.jpg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20130119_164529.jpg

Flying datto. (Insert space jam song)

Took the whole thing back apart yesterday.

Frame fabrication is nearly complete. The last few details can be completed without further test fitting.

This means that I should be hauling it to the galvanizers.

...this week. Sorry, I was interrupted by work.

Funny, while jacking up the front end for some work, I inadvertently found the current balance point.

IMG_20130119_183847.jpg

I'm pretty happy with where it is now. Most of the weight left to put on it is behind that point, so I'm thinking that the weight is going to be rather evenly dispersed to all four corners.

I had worried about it being front heavy.

• Like 1

I must agree.. they're a bit of a pain to install. I'd hate to get a flat in cold weather with these.

Ive got about 4 inches of tire poking out up front, and 6 in the back, so I'll be making my own boso flares most likely. I'm gonna give it a Texas iron worker twist to keep with the theme.

Meanwhile, it's all stripped down again, and I'm finalizing the framework for galvanize.

IMG_20130121_184905.jpg

Mainly just gotta poke holes in all of the enclosed chambers so the zinc can flow through, and make sure there's no more welding or grinding to do.

For those unaware, enclosed chambers in a galvanize pit become pipe bombs. The air trapped inside expands enough to split steel or bust welds. Makes a big boom and destroys hard work quickly.

I realized after it was too late that, if I was able to get a group together, galvanizing is cheaper than paint.

My frame was $163 and I could've galvanised 300 more pounds of steel at that flat rate.

The thing about galvanizing is, while it beats the Shit out if por15 or any of the popular under coating methods, it's really uneven, and not good for surfaces that are going to be part of the vehicle exterior.

Some parts of my frame look like polished aluminum, while others look like modeling clay sprayed with silver spray paint. Awesome for a frame. I wouldn't suggest it for body parts, and a car body usually has exposed parts like the roof and quarter panels to consider.

...Plus, even after I went over it drilling and torching drain holes, the galvanizers still drilled a few more. It'd be tough to make a car body drain out the zinc.

The holes are small,and won't effect the rigidity. A stock frame isn't sealed up anyway, so one wouldn't likely have to do much to prep it.

IMG_20130125_102310.jpg

IMG_20130125_102329.jpg

IMG_20130125_102246.jpg

Also, remember these?

IMG_20120525_131453.jpg

Got those replaced.

IMG_20130124_175508.jpg

IMG_20130124_175456.jpg

• Like 1
The thing about galvanizing is, while it beats the Shit out if por15 or any of the popular under coating methods, it's really uneven, and not good for surfaces that are going to be part of the vehicle exterior.

Some parts of my frame look like polished aluminum, while others look like modeling clay sprayed with silver spray paint. Awesome for a frame. I wouldn't suggest it for body parts, and a car body usually has exposed parts like the roof and quarter panels to consider.

Just seemed like a good way to seal the metal after dipping/stripping the car. It would never see daylight. Warpage would be a deal breaker though...