KA24DE Tranny

BACARDI_DWB

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with running the rear sump pan on the ka out of the car is the dip stick doesn't go into the deep part of the pan. I haven't really looked at the car block to see if it has a detent for a rear dip stick. It's something I should really look at since I'm always spouting off ka facts :D The rear sump pan has to be "modified" to fit car ka, the bottom end is a bit burlier. A little hammering and it fits perfect :D

If your planning on doing the KA swap in the 521 the tunnel will have to be modified to fit the bigger KA tranny. I used a zx tranny with a nap z bell. From what I've read the nap z tranny would have been fine. The only reason I used the zx tranny was because it was the same length as my 620 trans aka I didn't have to shorten the DL. Since your doing it to a 521 it may be easier to just build a tranny mount and have the DL shortened. Or I have heard (don't know for sure but it seems like it should work, so don't get mad if it doesn't just post up your results so no one else has the same problems) the late model 620 short bed standard cab DL may work since the wheel base is the same length but it has the long tranny. The carrier bearing is different on the 620 but I think it will work better with the car zx trans. Or maybe just the front section will work, it is a 2 piece DL

I want to rebuild a ka for my truck, I've been daily driving it for a year!!! I've defiantly got my moneys worth out of it. If the car block has a spot for the dip stick I may go that route.

Edit: the L20 pan doesn't fit the KA truck block I tried it thanks to Redeye for letting me use his pan for test fitment :D

KA dual cam from the cars is a different block than the frontiers because it has a front cover oil pump like the SR,VG, and many other nissan engines. They dont have the oil pickup tube mount in the center of the block but I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt tap one in. Anyway, the frontier engine would be way easier but they fetch about 450 bucks, where as a car ka doesnt usually exceed 150 bucks. Sometimes you get what you pay for and many times you get lucky with these engines. I have been rather unlucky lately but I finally got a good one from somone I trusted. Oh and NO theres no spot on the car ka for the dipstick, you just gotta suck it up and drill a hole im the block where its supposed to go. It sucks trying to get the dipstick tube out too I always ended up messing them up.

Icehouse are you positive the bell housings are bigger? I know the frontiers is a lil thicker and has some weird ribbing on it but it didnt seem bigger than an L's. I only had to bash my tranny tunnel because I didnt lower the engine like you did and I should have. oh well. peace.

well cause the rear sump oil pan will fit easier in the 521.

or i can just get the 240 motor and put the oil pump and pan off of the truck engine.

i have also heard the l20 pan will fit on the KA motor? anyone know if there is any truth to that?

0 truth to that, the l-20 pan is completely symmetrical where as the KA's has a section cut out of the front.

Icehouse are you positive the bell housings are bigger? I know the frontiers is a lil thicker and has some weird ribbing on it but it didnt seem bigger than an L's. I only had to bash my tranny tunnel because I didnt lower the engine like you did and I should have. oh well. peace.

I mean the zx/nap z vs. the s13 trans. The s13 tranny is much bigger than the zx trans. I didn't inspect the truck ka tranny when I pulled it out. I was just thinking in a 521 it might be better to use the zx+nap z bell to minimize tunnel cutage. The s13 trans are much tighter and handle approximately 100hp more. It just adds the extra cutting and custom DL.