New Guy Questions

UNCIVLIZED1

Alright, I am new to the forum and the whole Datsun thing in general. I just ended up with a '71 Datsun 521 P/U through a trade for my Hardbody. The truck smokes pretty bad at start up and a little after warm up and while driving. It is obvious that it will need to be pulled apart and rebuilt in the near future. I got a quote of just under $1000 to do pretty much everything but new pistons. I dont think that is a bad price but I am wondering what other options I might have.

Are there any nit pick additions that can be made while the motor is out and being rebuilt or what are some pretty straight forward motor swaps that are common in this truck and how difficult are they? I am not looking to make a ton of power or anything, I just like to get the most for my dollar. Being new to this scene I am basically looking to find out what options I have since I will need to do some work to it in the near future. A little research and help from guy's with a background in the area never hurts :). Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board... I see by your avatar you've already looked around a bit...

I'd say $1000 to rebuild the motor is pretty good, but it really depends on what you're planning on doing to it. Parts are getting harder to find for the L-Series, unless you get used ones. Just remember to find a reputable shop to do the work, preferably one that specializes in Datsuns.

Most folks seem to do the carb and cam thing on the motors... that's probably the best improvement if you want to keep the stock motor. If you want to get something different for cheap, get a KA out of a hardbody... you probably had one in your old truck.

The general discussion has a pretty fantastic FAQ thread... check it out, do a bit of reading, and sort out which direction you want to go. After that, we're here to help.

Parts for the L series are not getting hard to find.You can get everything to rebuild it yourself for around $300 through http://www.rockauto.com or other online parts places.Parts for the actual vehicle are hard to get but,the motor parts are readily available.

I did a rebuild a couple years ago on a L18 and it ran awesome.It was much easier than I thought it would be but it depends on your own abilities.$1000 isnt to bad for a shop rate but you should be able to find a rebuilt or used motor for cheaper.

Welcome! Did you trade for Pugz old 521? (the one in you avatar) Rock on if so. I love that truck! Check the FAQ and that will answer alot of your questions.

But the guys here are awesome!

Yeah I ended up with Pugz truck which is the one in the Avatar and I am loving it. It is definitely an addicting truck and that is why I am lookign to do some work to it to make sure it stays in great condition and only gets better.

So far this site's memebers have far exceeded any other forum I have been a part of. Mainly I havent gotten the immature posts that clutter an honest thread and the responses have been helpful. So thanks to the guys who have responded already and for making me feel welcome on the forum.

Welcome.

Always liked that truck. Hope you keep it. it's been passed around a bit.

If I didn't DD mine. it would ride like yours. LOW.

cheap pistons are exactly that CHEAP! blew the skirts off all 6 when I first built my L28et. Maybe you can get by with a set of good rings.?