help needed...

novita1021

im looking for a carb that fits a l16 motor thats in my 71 dime...it has the stock carb but if im going to replace it minus well get a perfomance carb...so what carbs can fit and where can i get them....:confused:

I have a manifold made for two carbs but only have one flat top SU...and its a hassel to tune them, or so i hear...:(

thanx

-Juan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

witch would be better for my car...its a stock motor..i think i havent do nothing to it but change the oil and spark plugs...when i rev the motor it like backfires or pops....i looked at the exhaust because it doesnt make it to the back its like 8 inches away from the rear end...and i saw that when it pops theres a small burst of flame...my dad says its the carb but im realy not sure....:confused:

That sounds like a timing or points issue to me.The last time my rig shot flames out the tail pipe it was the timing.Bad points can hop spark around awkwardly or very weak making it sputttttter.Check that first.

The flat top SU carbs are crap as I hear.I have a pair of the big ones and cant give them away.Keep the manifold for sure and search around for a nice pair for later days when you have some other upgrades.Get the weber 32/36 carb and it will rock.A decent stock carb will work fine so long as everything else works.

cool man thanks....and yeah it was the timing...i went to get a new muffler on it and the ppl there told me it could be the timming and carb....so i had a friend of mine check the timming and now it purr like a kitten....lol.....thanks for the help....

ohh by the way where can i find a use 32/36 with adapter for mine....

the thing is i only have one flat top...i have two stock mani's and to stock carbs with the glass in the front....ohh and a mani for dual SU's...this guy that also is into 510s told me to keep the dual SU mani for the L series motors...that they are prety hard to come buy....i got mine with the car the guy who sold it to me didnt what was in the trunk...i opened it and alot of extra parts where there....but yeah well im looking for a weber now...:D:D:D

the backfiring of your car maybe is valve timing, the SU's adjusting is easier if you have the unisyn but I guess you dont have that, but they are really esay to adjust, the thing is that most shops does not understand them, they are simple and reliable.

If you want a performance upgrade you need to look at the whole picture.A stock L16 with stock head wont really run any better than with a stock carb.A weber dgv carb is a great all around replacement and will perform awesome through any other upgrades along the way.

There is a ton of things to do but just make it run good first and make that your standby should further efforts fail.;)

Guest DatsuNoob
weber 32/36. even the odd balls that i run are awesome. 32/35 and 33 or 34/36. factory stamped on the base. does anyone else have these? they're both regular looking dgev's.

I got a 34/34 dgev. Linkage was ass-backwards from a 32/36, but other than that not too much different. Required a little grinding of the adapter plate, cause the butterfly wouldn't fully close after letting off the pedal, got a medium stiff return spring and she was sweet azz. It goes great.

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey Novita! I got 2 webers on datsuns w/adapter plates in my area for $50 a piece. May just need a little cleaning, or worst case a rebuild kit, and there's not much to rebuilding one. Either way it would save you some bucks.

I have a 32/34 on my 521 and its great.32/36 on the 510 and its great.I have a 32/36 holley from a Ford ranger and it was great until I swapped in a l18 with 210 head.I keep fouling plugs with whatever carb it has so not sure what that is right yet.

Basically the best carb you can use.A newer stock hitachi from a later l20b or naps will run great so long as it is in great condition.

peters

I maybe used a wrong wording.

all datsun linkages will fit on a Weber 32/36 or the 38DGES.

so you dont have to use the Weber adpter linkage. Justr move them and install the Datsun linkage. (like on a 521 ruck uses a cable assembly) it slides right on that slotted throttle shaft.

as for Choke if you have a 5A vesrion you just buy the cable.Since the 5A is a tru manual choke and connot be converter to anything else. The casting and linkage.Is made just for this model

If you had a electric and want o go to manual and get rid of that coil. you hav toget a choke conversion which some store have it a plstic round cover that hook up to the choke linkage to open the butterly. kinda cheezy but work OK.

as for thru adapter most people think of the weber DGV adapter that mounts to the manifold as if you buy a weber you still need to find this adapter.As you know a DGV doesnt fit on a datsun intake as the bolt hole are to close together