Just Sitting In A Dead 620 Reminiscing

Hey Jayden71...I may very well let the '71 521 go for $400...It's just that the title was signed off on the wrong line by the previous owners...who are Mexican and don't speak hardly any English. They then left town, and the DMV won't complete the transaction until their signature is on the right line. I have the title with yellow highlighter on it put on by the local DMV where they need to ink in their signature.

It'll run once I replace the glass piece that broke on the carborator...it's a red version of the blue one you got. Needs a new battery and the tires go flat after a few days...I'd replace them. Hasn't run in about three years. You say you work at BMCC...does that mean you commute from Baker City to Pendleton on a regular basis?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jayden71...I may very well let the '71 521 go for $400...It's just that the title was signed off on the wrong line by the previous owners...who are Mexican and don't speak hardly any English. They then left town, and the DMV won't complete the transaction until their signature is on the right line. I have the title with yellow highlighter on it put on by the local DMV where they need to ink in their signature.

It'll run once I replace the glass piece that broke on the carborator...it's a red version of the blue one you got. Needs a new battery and the tires go flat after a few days...I'd replace them. Hasn't run in about three years. You say you work at BMCC...does that mean you commute from Baker City to Pendleton on a regular basis?

Are you kidding me? You sign the paper! They wont know...

I no longer work for BMCC. The program I was teaching got cancelled. (stupid red tape!!) No I did not commute. I worked right there in Baker.

I might have to talk to you bout that 521. I could go for savin another one.

2369266629_2eeff52e2c_z.jpg

A pic I took a few springs ago w/wet snow falling. It's been in the same spot in my driveway ever since. I drove maybe 20 miles until the carborator issue occured...strange, a carb rebuild kit empty box was on the front seat when I bought it. All I did to it was replace some broken tail lights I found at a wrecking yard for something like $15 from a yard in Nampa.

Wish it had the bumperettes. The bed is in suprisingly rust-free shape, but the tailgate has some holes in it. Really shined up nice when I washed and waxed it. This is the one with the creamy milky tinge to the windshield. You can see better through it when it's raining and you've got the wipers on. (!)

Schlepping the signature on the title wouldn't have worked...they know me at the DMV and they knew the people who sold it to me pretty well too. I guess maybe they could find the PO's if they registered a vehicle somewhere or got a driver's license elsewhere; just never actively pursued it since it's sitting...but I doubt I'll need to eventually apply for a lost title of something drastic like that.

It didn't affect any of the other glass, just the windscreen, but it's uniform left to right/top to bottom...!

The pegboard/cloth thing under the dash is a speaker for the CB radio the PO put in it. The CB was stolen while parked in an underground hotel guests garage in downtown Portland some 12 years ago. Nothing else was taken...I had a leather coat and a bunch of CD's inside, but they broke one of the little opera windows to gain entry--so it was replaced with a custom cut piece of plexiglass.

A windshield is safety glass and is actually three pieces laminated together. You have the outer glass, a thin transparent sheet of plastic in the middle, then you have the inner glass. All three are bonded together. On older cars, the edge will start to separate and will start fogging. No way to fix it other than replacing it.

My 521's is cloudy as hell, a windshield is definately high on my to do list.

That 521 looks nice!

Took a few more pics today of the truck

Notice! I'm going to take them all off of this truck in around five days to save ratsun.net bandwidth and to clean out my photo storage accounts.

I pressed a finger down on the surface of the bed and actually poked a hole in it! (note the hole in the two big pics) Oops! So...I guess under that caked on dirt the metal's a bit thin. I'm still kinda thinkin about getting this truck running again. One I figure out the fuel delivery situation and replace the head...I'm sure it'll resume its anywhere anytime status.

You can see the driver's door caught the wind and sprung it a little, and those dents on the roof was from a kid standing on it.

4922049357_f3af61f186_m.jpg

4922047731_4616c9b246_m.jpg

4922046025_257210ce68_m.jpg

4922638738_034929c490_m.jpg

4922637060_4d29e12532_m.jpg

4922635474_83816ff933_m.jpg

4922038761_e56a47197d_m.jpg

4922631742_2432e5fdc4_m.jpg

4922034913_3cbd2ca423_m.jpg

4922033171_d6cbcf428f_m.jpg

4922626140_26ee5d75dc_m.jpg

4922624214_d20606dd50.jpg

4922622464_acc9cf2fd0.jpg

4922620532_5707722761_m.jpg

i would so get it going, just because its something you enjoyed. i might be able to help with the parts situation, no body parts but some wiring (dash and engine minus dizzy wiring) and heater stuff. hell i even have a windshield, not perfect (rock chips) but its better than the big cracks ya got now. hell i might even have a door. i would have to look.

Alot of people have told me i should just part my 73 out due to rust and issues i have had with it. when i got mine, the heater, gauges, wipers, and door locks did not work. and it had rotten floors. still does :) but i have found that over the years i have had it, its been a great rig. takes a beating and keeps going. hell right now my motor knocks and she keeps going. been wrecked twice, that i know of and both while i have owned her, both times i put her back together although it was suggested that i part it for something else.

dont give up on it, an L motor or head is EASY to find if ya look. hell someone on here has to have one laying around they wont be using. i paid $100 for a low mileage L not to long ago. who knows maybe theres a parts truck close that you could pick up thats been wrecked or something simple is wrong. just dont give up on her, she might just be the best thing thats happened after some work.

I hear ya loud 'n clear moparvwfreak...and that brings us to the humble roots and intentions of ratsun.net in the first place. A forum to prolong the longevity of Datsuns whether it be mere tech assistance to help someone out with a simple repair on up to full-scale modifications and upgrades. Comraderie leads to motivation.

And that's why if I don't get it running myself, it ought to go to a ratsun forumer. I've got three other Datsuns, so I've got a few toys in the yard.

(I guess if I found an auto crusher forum, how fickle would I be?)

A split-window VW bus in similar condition would be taken apart and reassembled in a heartbeat. Same story for a Dodge Tradesman A-100 van. So why not a classic Datsun truck?

Indeed the motors and parts are easy to find! The first head came from a wrecking yard in Baker City, Oregon for something like $50...and it went for probably 150,000 miles. A little box of metric tools is all you need. At any given time in the towns around my part of NE Oregon, there are dozens of Datsuns with their own section in the wrecking yards.

• 2 weeks later...

Still if you guys down Boise way want the sallyported 620, let me know...

Spotted a '69 521 for sale for $1250 OBO in the parking lot of the local Les Schwab...it was the same truck I spotted crosstown a couple months ago, but disappeared and wondered where it went...a autobody repair guy told me about it/where it was parked. Has been freshly tuned, carb rebuild, drive train overhaul, new brakes....looked great with new tires and OG hubcaps. Should have checked for the cracked dash and scoped out the inside a bit better when I was looking...all lenses perfect. The bad: typical light milky film across the windshield (not as bad as mine, tho'), no bumperettes and a number of little rust holes and paint flakes...and of course the peppered dents on the bed walls induced in the days when Datsun trucks weren't double-walled like the last few years of the 620's. Yep, kinda thinkin about it, but I'd take it straight to the body shop for a cancer check & repaint. Plus I want to look at the underside...

• 2 months later...

listen, i'm going to be the tough love guy on this topic. Quit your whining and get to work on that truck. I am only upset because that truck is beautiful and it is in better shape than my king cab. I never gave up on my pretty little dotty, and it's in worse shape than yours and i'm driving it around with a poo eating grin. you have something great, get it back on the road and enjoy it!! BEST OF LUCK!

listen, i'm going to be the tough love guy on this topic. Quit your whining and get to work on that truck. I am only upset because that truck is beautiful and it is in better shape than my king cab. I never gave up on my pretty little dotty, and it's in worse shape than yours and i'm driving it around with a poo eating grin. you have something great, get it back on the road and enjoy it!! BEST OF LUCK!

OMFG!!!!! .......... Where the fuck have you been hiding???? ......... haven't seen you post since the "Ratsun T-shirts" thread in 2007..... . :rofl: :rofl:

Rockauto.com and datsunrestore.com has alot of the harder to find items you need for your trucks now go get them on the road they wont be there forever if you want pm me a list of what you need and ill help you find them.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/2041964144.html

http://salem.craigslist.org/pts/2025949355.html

http://salem.craigslist.org/pts/2029109921.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...