Lowered truck shocks?

Dimerforlife13

Is anyone running a shorter shock for there lowered 620? Mine has 3 inch blocks, a leaf removed, and the front is lowered about the same. Just wondering what everyone is running, if not shorter, any preferences? I've ran GR2's on 3 or 4 of my vehicles and I liked them. Also, for those running rear blocks, are you running square or angle blocks? Mine are square and on all of my other trucks I have always had angle blocks. Would that be causing the vibration I have been trying to fix? I fixed my carrier bearing, but it didn't fix my problem. Help is always appreciated...

-Brett

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 620 uses the shortest shock available. You will have to modify the shock towers to get more travel.

Have you had the tires balanced?

You could raise the carrier bearing to help with the vibes, although I never got any with my flat 3" blocks. Did you remove any springs?

2eDeYe' date='12 August 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1281649827' post='338643']

The 620 uses the shortest shock available. You will have to modify the shock towers to get more travel.

Have you had the tires balanced?

You could raise the carrier bearing to help with the vibes, although I never got any with my flat 3" blocks. Did you remove any springs?

What kind of shocks are you running? Yes I have had the tires balanced, they are brand new. I think it has 1 leaf removed. Can you tell me how many are in a stock spring pack? I think I have 3 leafs and an over ride leaf.

What kind of shocks are you running? Yes I have had the tires balanced, they are brand new. I think it has 1 leaf removed. Can you tell me how many are in a stock spring pack? I think I have 3 leafs and an over ride leaf.

My shocks blew out...I'm putting coilovers on it, but right now it's in peices.

The spring pack depends on the year. Removing one leaf will drop you another inch, most guys start noticing vibes at about that level.

Take a look at Pac's build thread, he made the tower mods look simple. :)

Is anyone running a shorter shock for there lowered 620? Mine has 3 inch blocks, a leaf removed, and the front is lowered about the same. Just wondering what everyone is running, if not shorter, any preferences? I've ran GR2's on 3 or 4 of my vehicles and I liked them. Also, for those running rear blocks, are you running square or angle blocks? Mine are square and on all of my other trucks I have always had angle blocks. Would that be causing the vibration I have been trying to fix? I fixed my carrier bearing, but it didn't fix my problem. Help is always appreciated...

-Brett

I have had a weird vibration in the last 2 datsun trucks i have lowered, and all had new tires/wheesl. I have found on both of them that 1 side of the rear u-joint was nearly frozen up. 1 half was nice and free and the other half was rusted nearly to itself, new u joints and boom no more vibration. I was running straight blocks on both trucks.

Hope that helps.

Bill

I have had a weird vibration in the last 2 datsun trucks i have lowered, and all had new tires/wheesl. I have found on both of them that 1 side of the rear u-joint was nearly frozen up. 1 half was nice and free and the other half was rusted nearly to itself, new u joints and boom no more vibration. I was running straight blocks on both trucks.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Thanks, I'll have the drive shaft out tonight again. I thought I checked them all but we will see, thanks for the advice.

2eDeYe' date='14 August 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1281806598' post='339392']

I can't find it either....Pac where's the build thread???

I looked this morning too & no luck. Hope it didnt get wiped out in the switch over :(

I PM'd him a few pics of when I did the tower mod so that should help him.

I decided to make some shock towers, so here ya go...they turned out alright. It looks like I could have taken a rear leaf hanger. I'm not a huge fan of them but they should work. Still need correct hardware and to turn up some spacers. I did all this so I could use a longer gr2 shock I just happened to have laying around.

1282275532.jpg

1282275533.jpg

1282275535.jpg

1282275536.jpg

1282275538.jpg

1282275539.jpg

1282275540.jpg

1282275542.jpg

1282275543.jpg

1282275545.jpg

1282275546.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hope that helps.

Bill

Hey Bill, I just typed vibration in the search bar and found this, which I am hoping is my problem as well. Could you tell me more about when the vibration happens? What is sounded like? My truck was recently lowered. Mine only happens after 40mph ish, and only when I am on the throttle, in fact if i put the clutch in it seems to stop. It is just like a low drone, not a powerful shaking, but obnoctious as hell. The engine runs super smooth and the tires were just balanced.

Hey Bill, I just typed vibration in the search bar and found this, which I am hoping is my problem as well. Could you tell me more about when the vibration happens? What is sounded like? My truck was recently lowered. Mine only happens after 40mph ish, and only when I am on the throttle, in fact if i put the clutch in it seems to stop. It is just like a low drone, not a powerful shaking, but obnoctious as hell. The engine runs super smooth and the tires were just balanced.

How much was the rear lowered?? Did you put a spacer under the carrier bearing also? That will cause a vibration too.

Straight blocks are completely fine IF you do a carrier bearing spacer at the same time. I have never ran angled blocks, and i fail to see how they could eliminate the vibration problem. I understand what they are doing, but it is nothing more than a bandaid for a crooked driveline.

Run the straight blocks and a bearing spacer so that the driveline is closer to a straight line like it should be.