620 tail gate

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Wondering if there's a clever way to get out the hinge pins on a 620 tail gate? I tried with a drift punch and a BFH and got nowhere. I was under the impression they'd tap right out like hinge pins found in any household door. They didnt budge. If anyone has any ideas on this it would be awesome. I'd hate to have rust streaks running down new paint (if I ever get there, all this prep and little stuff is killing me)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I whacked the hell outta mine, and they didn't even move to the crimp in the end. I dont wanna destroy a perfectly good tailgate either. I was thinking of eliminating them and do a weldable hinge set up from Metal Supermarkets down the road a piece. They're kinda spendy, but are greaseable and give an alomost seamless barrel-like appearance from the outside. I was thinking I'd just weld on the brackets to the ears on the hinge and go with that. A possible solution, but i was trying to go stock and on the cheap here. This project of mine is nickel and diming me to death! :lol:

Guest DatsuNoob

Okay, well maybe I'll remount the gate and give 'em some more whacks. I've got a spare that's pretty beat. Maybe I'll practice on that 1st :D. I was thinking of removing the crimps on the emds too, then possibly replacing them with spot welds once I get new pins. Thanks Jersey.