Brakes - next step

Shawn Abbey

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean its one thing to TRY to search and not find anything, but christ, just got to the section conveniently titled BRAKES, and the very first thread(which is pinned) is disk brakes on a kingpin truck

Now that you mention it... lol

http://community.rat...um-brake-truck/

Now that I got my truck to run, The next step is to get it to stop. Is there a disc brake conversion available? Or, do I have to rebuild the drum system? Any input would be welcome.

What are you attempting to achieve ?

(1) I just want my truck to stop damn it ! :lol:

(2) I don't have a working brake system and wish to upgrade :D

(3) I have a working brake system and wish to upgrade :unsure:

(4) I don't know much about brakes ? :huh:

(5) I am doing the work myself :P

(6) I am having someone else do the work for me

Ya gotta tell us your thoughts , year , what you have to work with , what is CURRENTLY wrong with your truck , how long it has been sitting , what tests you have done , what you wish to do , your ability , and budget ,,,,,,, this will make it a little easier for us to help you achieve what you came here to do ! :D

Ya don't pay much attention to us smart-asses remarks ( just the good stuff ;) ) or let anyone especially me throw ya off ! :lol:

If your new ,,, that's fine ,,, if not abandon ship ! :lol:

OK! OK! Yes I am new, and I did do alot of checking on disc brake conversions. But not on this board yet, sorry to say. cool.gif

Found the Brake section! I didn't know we had a kingpin front end. Good to know! Hadn't studied that since high school auto shop!

Sorry for the brainless question, and thanks for the sarcastic responses!laugh.gif

Sometimes we need a good laugh to get us unstuck and to think a little harder.

Shawn "DUH" Abbey

Sorry for the brainless question, and thanks for the sarcastic responses!laugh.gif

No extra charge!

I'm going the beebani bracket way on my 521, so far have compiled the front and rear brackets, front and rear calipers, 280zx master, just need hoses, rotors, front pads, and 15" wheels. I completely rebuilt my drums tho so I have time to hunt for the best deals

i posted this in another thread but it works here too lol. im rebuilding my all wheel drum simply cuz its cheap for me to do it. i know saying this is gunna cauze all kinds of controversy but o well lol. now my buddy who has a 71 521 for the front disk brakes he just straight swapped, no fancy brackets or anything, the front disk's off a 620 the first year they had disk on them and used one washer to space it somewhere just a regular washer. he used all of the unsprung what not's off it, the control arms spindle rotor caliper and bracket. and it bolted straight up. ive seen it and he did it. believe me or not but thats what im gunna do on mine eventually

wayne came in and talked to me and we decided the reason it worked out is because his truck is bagged so the fact that the torsion bars aren's quite right doesnt matter and a couple other things dont line up but again because its bagged it doesnt matter cuz u dont use those things anyways. mines gunna be bagged so woot