Sudo 520

Sudo

.... I'll play along with the new sub-forum.....rolleyes.gif

I can't compete with Bob's MX520, but here is my build thread up to date.

This is a 1967 520 from Oregon.

threeQuarter.jpg

The PO drove it to Kansas, traded it in on another car and drove back supposedly.

bumperSticker.jpg

When I got it, she was tired. the original J13 looks to have 217k on the ticker. speedo.jpg

It cost me more in oil to get to work than gas. Marking territory is an understatement.

markingTerritory.jpg

The J13 leaked at the rear main (which I could never find) and burned blue smoke out the back, so needed a ring job. The PCV system was a tube out the top of the cam cover ran down the side of the frame to the approximate location of the exhaust pipe.

engine1.jpg

So you get the picture: the motor was shot. I went down the path of just trying to rebuild the J13, but that quickly became cost prohibitive compared to the relative ease of just swapping in a L20b.

The body is relatively rust free. And I loved her. So: project time. But what to do?

passSide2.jpg

It seems the L20b is the natural choice here. So I set about sourcing one. Posted an ad in my local CL and a nice gentleman from KC emailed me back about having a mostly complete 620 that I could just have if I came and got it. Okay: done.

partsTruck.jpg

I liked NSRz32's build. So, I'll follow that.

First Pure Luck episode: I bought some really sweet 10" Western Turbines off of CL for $80 (or was it $75- I forget) wheels.jpg

Lowered the torsion bars.

torsion.jpg

Had the rear springs de-arched 3".

BEFORE: passengerSide-1.jpg

AFTER: 0322sidejpg.jpg

Swapped out the rear diff with the one from the donor 620.

Sent the motor to the machine shop. Cylinder #3 was shot.

iPhonePics345.jpg

So the thinking was to not just hone it, but to bore it out. Research the Jason Grey info shows the L20B long rod motor to be a perfect candidate for this build.

Sent the wheels to the powder coaters to be satin black.

Sourced a A87 head. Took that and the long block donor L20b to the machinist. I got the Z22E pistons and Z20E rods. Worked with the machine shop to bore it over +2mm.

I call the powder coater to check status on wheels. "Is that the set of 2 wheels?" the guy asks. Panic sets in. "No, it was a complete set of 4." I reply. "Hold on, I'll get the manager." poop.gif

a line from Douglas Adams: DON'T PANIC!

Ran out of money because I bought a 1964 NL320, then a 1971 Goonwub.gif, then a 1978 510. All in the span of 3 months! So, when I said finding the 10" Western Turbines in Wichita was luck; maybe I just have good luck.

Finding a NL320 in KS has got to be rare, right?

320.jpg

We named the 520 Clark and the Goon we named Eddie. STOP the insanity!hyper.gifcalling her Clark is weird...

a call from the powder coater after about 6 weekspoke.gif. "Bring in a receipt and we'll reimburse you". It was pure luck that I found a set of these for sale in Wichita, so I'm not bringing in a receipt for just the amount I paid for them. I find 4 other sets online. Shipping is about as much as the wheels. I take in a receipt for $500. It costs $350 to get my replacement set in my hands.... AND they are only 8.5". So not quite as cool. I look on the bright side: they probably fit better, function better, and I save $225 on fender flares now...

041a8aef.jpg

7774b2a9.jpg

Sold the NL320. Buyer backs out.

bought some fender mirrors, and installed em... did some cleaning.... bought some new adjustable shocks off of RockAuto.com and installed em.

Replaced the ball joints in the Goon. Replaced belts and hoses in the 78 510. Bought and installed new wheels on the Goon.

Sell the NL320 again. Buyer backs out again.

Found some cobwebs under the 520....poop.gifpoop.gif ...Realize I have a stalled project. Consider selling 71 Goon.

Bought the buckets out of an old 73 Honda civic to put in the Goon, now thinking about going into the truck. Still thinking about selling the Goon.

Sold NL320 one more time. Have a deposit equal to what I originally paid for it. I am still owed a balance due....Hopefully that transaction completes this week. This money is earmarked for tools and parts. Namely GETTING THE MOTOR OUT OF THE MACHINE SHOP

and into the truck...

That's where it stands.

0322frontjpg.jpg

I go to 3rd shift weekends next week. I should have Monday through Thursday to work on the 520. Plus the motor in my garage. progress should start again shortly. My frustration level is back down to normal levels. Still thinking about selling the Goon goon_driver.jpg

, OR trading it fro a KA to put into the 78 510.

List of To-Dos: (in approximate order)

complete the engine build out.

Weld in new motor and transmission mounts

install motor and transmission

source a new radiator - then install.

source e-fans and install.

get the drive shaft shortened.

install brake power booster from 620

buy Bebani's disc brake brackets

complete conversion to disk brakes.

recover honda seats and install.

solve seat belt situation (if needed) <- seat belts are needed, just not sure if I'll have to fix anything there or not.

DRIVE IT!!thumbup1.gif

make door panels

fix door rubber situation

repair heater

install stereo - maybe

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading. I'll try to update this thread with more pix and updates as I can. Take care.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Sudo, You have as many things going on as I do, I'll tell you, I would keep the NL320, I just bought one myself. I was looking at that one you bought, just to far away for me. I have the "1969 521 kingcab project" in "project datto" Plugging my thread. :unsure: Nice find that 520, it looks really strait, and it's also a single headlight version, score! Looking forward to your updates. wayno

Hi Sudo, I am installing the 620 oil pan on my L20B in my 520. The 521 oil pan does not allow the motor to sit as far back unless you cut the firewall & the tunnell out approximately 2" more than the 1" for the 620 pan to clear. But this does allow more clearance between the radiator & the front of the motor using the 521 oil pan, but this would take up much needed cab space.

Great post! I finished reading it and found myself out of breath! :poke:

If you need some help on a radiator this Miata radiator should work. It is a different brand than the one in the MX520 but the same size. Any 1990-93 Miata radiator will fit nice in the front of a 520.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aluminum-radiator-MAZDA-MIATA-NA-1990-1991-1992-1993-MT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120546996500QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

520179.jpg

Hope this helps.

Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

anymore onthis one?

yeah, thanks for your interest. I'm on 3rd shift now and working on it. Got the motor

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

and the head

IMG_0595.jpg

from the machine shop. I need a tap and die set so I can chase threads, then I'll start putting it together. I'll probably buy the tools on Monday.

I need to decide on an engine color though...

got the 620 oil pan. Looking at radiators...

progressing slowly cause I am also working on this:

IMG_0598.jpg

Back to Datsun's now though...

I'll post updates as they happen. Thank you for reading.

Hi there Sudo, you should not lay an overhead cam head on its mounting surface unless you have blocks under it protecting the valves that are open. They get bent(the valves) from the weight of the head resting on them. Number 4 valve(intake) is open in the picture. I know, because I have bent them myself doing the same thing. wayno

Hi there Sudo, you should not lay an overhead cam head on its mounting surface unless you have blocks under it protecting the valves that are open. They get bent(the valves) from the weight of the head resting on them. Number 4 valve(intake) is open in the picture. I know, because I have bent them myself doing the same thing. wayno

Thanks for the tip, Wayno. I only took off the plastic wrap to take pix. (you know how ratsun likey pix) The head is still in styrofoam case packing with plastic cover.

Sorry for bitchen at you,:unsure: it made me cringe looking at it sitting on its face with #4 valve open, I'm glad that the machine shop you use packaged it safely,:) no one told me shit at mine, and a couple months later it was back in the shop.:( Hope everything goes together smoothly. wayno

Sorry for bitchen at you,:unsure: it made me cringe looking at it sitting on its face with #4 valve open, I'm glad that the machine shop you use packaged it safely,:) no one told me shit at mine, and a couple months later it was back in the shop.:( Hope everything goes together smoothly. wayno

haha- no worries, Wayno. I didn't think you were bitchin' at me- just looking out for a brother...Yeah it was info/misfortune of others on this site that made me make sure the shop would package it properly. I may not move fast, but I read alot! I can't afford to move fast:you make too many mistakes that way.

"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend?" Sorry to hear about your episode, but talking about it on here "pays it forward" (?) so others don't have the same misfortune.

Man, you have no idea how badly I just want to slap it together and get her runnin'. "Chase threads? Who has time for that shit?" Well, I guess I do, if I want this truck to last....

Reminds me of a joke (slightly off color- kids: earmuffs)

An old bull and a young bull were sitting on top of a hill. They see a herd of heifers in the pasture below. The young bull says, "I'm gonna run down this hill and I'm gonna fuck me one of them heifers. Wanna go with me old fart?"

The old bull replies, "No, you go on ahead. I'm gonna walk down this hill and fuck ALL them heifers." Just gotta keep reminding myself to be the old bull.....laugh.gif

Love it, wish I could take that goon off your hands.

I'm sure we could work something out...tongue.gif

bought a cheap 40 pc. T&D set from HF on Saturday. Broke the handle while a tap was in the block. I rounded of the clamp, WTF!? So I went to Ace and bought an Irwin handle that cost more than the T&D set. Been chasing threads since Sunday. should finish that today. No pix, but I thought about it while chasing: folks are right- you'd be surprised what you pull out of a "clean" block.

BTW- PB Blaster + T&D = WIN.

I'm sure we could work something out...tongue.gif

bought a cheap 40 pc. T&D set from HF on Saturday. Broke the handle while a tap was in the block. I rounded of the clamp, WTF!? So I went to Ace and bought an Irwin handle that cost more than the T&D set. Been chasing threads since Sunday. should finish that today. No pix, but I thought about it while chasing: folks are right- you'd be surprised what you pull out of a "clean" block.

BTW- PB Blaster + T&D = WIN.

Take payment sof $25 a week for it lol. :P

• 2 months later...

alright, Boxboy prompted me to update this thread...

plans have changed. (again)

I bought a 78"510" with a blown head gasket in the L20b with an automatic. I'm now going to put the frankenmotor in the "510" and rebuild the J13 to put back in the 520.

So the 71 Goon is still for sale, though I am not actively pursuing that sell. I told freekwonder whenever he gets the cash its his.

The 78 Datsun 3 door "510" has the automatic, runs and drives -- sort of -- blown head gasket. $250 and it came with the shorty header for the L20b in the hatch area brand new! Its in really good shape body, interior - wise. I like it more than the Goon. (there I said it) and the L22b will drop right in,the only other thing that car will need is a 5 speed and tinted windows... and windshield sealed.

The 67 520 will get its original J13 and 4 speed back, though I did swap out the diff from a 620. It also gets 2 bucket seats and new carpet. No pix yet. Nothing will get done until after the holidays. I put Pathfinder weather seal in the doors for the windows to stop that rattle. need to fix the e-brake too.

So while I updated this thread I think I actually put more content into the "J13 For Sale - FREE" thread..... oops.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sudo, interested to hear about the Frontier weather strip. How did you end up going with that? Junk yard stuff, or new? Is it a close original fit? My doors are rattling pretty good too. I don't drive much in the weather, but when I make the move to doing body and paint I would like to replace the rubber, but I am looking for something cheaper/easier to get than the original stuff.

lol, Don't stress, hopefully I'll have the cash, but we will see how it goes. Not going so well right now.

Where did you get the '78 from? Was it for sell here in KC? I knew of one for sale out here.

Lance- the Goon sold. The CL ad was about to end and some guy came along and bought it. Says he's going to fix it up. I directed him to ratsun for info. Seemed more like a "car" guy than a "Datsun" guy, but seemed like a good guy.

The 78 510 was local. Some guy that was a freind of a friend knew a guy that had one in his back yard that he just wanted to get rid of. $250 with a blown head gasket, but it had the L20b header in the hatch (which is worth about $180) so I bought it but havent done anything to it yet. --- gotta focus on the 520. rolleyes.gif

Come on Sudo your 520 is taking a back seat in your 510!!! LOL

I know, I know Charlie == I am seriously slacking. But the money from the sale of the Goon will enable me to complete the 520 with out further ado.

Pix soon! (like after New Years...)

Thx guys.

Hey Sudo, interested to hear about the Frontier weather strip. How did you end up going with that? Junk yard stuff, or new? Is it a close original fit? My doors are rattling pretty good too. I don't drive much in the weather, but when I make the move to doing body and paint I would like to replace the rubber, but I am looking for something cheaper/easier to get than the original stuff.

Boxboy- I got them for about $1. I bought 2 bucket seats, a luggage rack, some seat belts, 2 center consoles, turn signal switch, steering wheel, and a bunch of weather stripping for doors and for windows all for $50. I showed the guy at the pick-n-pull the haul and he said "how about $50 for all of it?" So I just consider the strips as freebies... but a buck sounds about right...

I had to damn near cut em in half, but not quite, so I couldnt get a full set out of one.... had to use both. Luckily I only needed the outsides. Havent done the doors yet. ....need to get those seats recovered.....