longer wheel studs 510

I also ordered 8 of these.........

Dorman #610-403 – ’93-‘95 J30 (front) & ’93-’98 Quest (rear)

Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.25 / Knurl Dia. 12.90mm / Length 45.5mm / Shoulder Length 15mm

Ill be swapping them out Sat. & ill get comparison pix.

Yeah, let us know how these work out for you. I'll be needing to purchase some studs real soon for my strut swap. Not having to buy new lugnuts would be great!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jefe i sure will. My issue is with the revolution rims im switching over too. They require a deep shank lug nut & longer studs up front [running 82 280 ZX struts]. The rears are fine [stock 510 studs] seeing as they're 41.5 mm long.

One possible issue will be that the stock ZX studs have a knurl diameter of 13.00 mm & the 510/ZX rears [longer studs] are 12.83 mm. The Quest studs are 45.5 mm long & the knurl is 12.90mm which should be a tighter fit.

Pics & info to come.

Ok got the new studs in today. I went with these.......

9bi104.jpg

they are 45.5 mm long. Look at them compared to stock ZX studs [32 mm]...

2s6rjpu.jpg

I put some grease on the base of the stud then used a stock lug to tighten w/ a ratchet until it was tight.......

2epsjsk.jpg

then i put the hub behind the rim & used the ratchet again to tighten the lugs until the new studs sat FLUSH against the back of the hub.

Doing it this way will ensure that they are installed straight......

35lddtg.jpg

Im using a deep shank lug nut BTW on these rims & now i get 9 full turns on the lugs. Much better & safer now all for $20 & a few hours of labor.

Nice! Thanks for the info and taking the time for pics.

You purchased them through kragen right?

YW Jefe yeah got em @ O reileys / Kragen. They had to order them but it only took 1 day to come in.

Ill add that while you have the hubs & rotors off it's a good time to inspect the bearings & at the very least repack them w/ grease.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the awesome writeup PCD! I need to do this to my ZX fronts as I want to run a 1/4" spacer to bring out my SSR's ever so slightly. Man I didn't realize those ZX studs are so short. I was ok on the rears (stock 510 studs) but the fronts, I took one lug off and realized this wasn't going to work :lol:

Thanks for the awesome writeup PCD! I need to do this to my ZX fronts as I want to run a 1/4" spacer to bring out my SSR's ever so slightly. Man I didn't realize those ZX studs are so short. I was ok on the rears (stock 510 studs) but the fronts, I took one lug off and realized this wasn't going to work :lol:

YW Jun i was inspired to go ahead & tackle this mod by Mklotz. & yeah youd think ZX studs would be longer than 32mm :rolleyes:

Mike TY for the pic of the Napa version. This info is PRICELESS & if it wasnt posted in this thread I'd be totally lost in regards to my wagon studs.

I just ordered longer wheel studs. When I removed the studs from the 280zx hub I measured the knurl diameter and it measured .505" so the closest less inexpensive studs are .509" knurl diameter that I found in Summit. ARP 100-7708 set of 5 studs knurl diameter .509" and underhead length of 2.5" for $13.25. I will post some pics when I press them in.

I had posted this info in the 1200 brake upgrade thread I'm doing....but I like the title on this thread...I think people will find the info here more easily...

Here's what it looks like mounted...I don't have the length difference on hand.

101_3670.jpg

Ok got the new studs in today. I went with these.......

be careful with those. I used to love Dorman but lately they have been using cheep Chinese metal, the lugnuts and studs we have bought recently from Dorman have stripped out easily compared to their products of yesteryear.

I bought Raybestos studs for my wagon...the OEM Raybestos studs were good quality and longer than the original factory studs on my 72 wagon.

P.S. ARP makes amazing fasteners, I can't say enough good things about their head bolt and stud kits...only problem is most of their products are usually pricey :(

be careful with those. I used to love Dorman but lately they have been using cheep Chinese metal, the lugnuts and studs we have bought recently from Dorman have stripped out easily compared to their products of yesteryear.

I bought Raybestos studs for my wagon...the OEM Raybestos studs were good quality and longer than the original factory studs on my 72 wagon.

P.S. ARP makes amazing fasteners, I can't say enough good things about their head bolt and stud kits...only problem is most of their products are usually pricey :(

TY for the heads up. I almost went with ARP studs but i was on a time & $$$ crunch & didnt have time/$$$ to go buy new lugs.

Well that & my wagon is a granny car that hardly ever sees the freeway.

butcherboyjc- those should work fine, theyre double the length :D Can you share what lug you end up going with please...? TY

The Dorman studs should be ok, I am running Dorman lug nuts cause I haven't found anything else that will work with my wheels from my suppliers. I just recommend removing and installing them by hand, don't use a air gun cause they strip easily.

"I just recommend removing and installing them by hand, don't use a air gun cause they strip easily. "

Mine came out easily..put the lug on a few turns & gently tap w/ the mini sledge & out they came.

Install was done using a wratchet / socket & a bit of grease on the knurls.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some 50mm 13mm knurl 12 x 1.25 studs

http://www.mysr20.com/product_p/icb-ns-122550s.htm

Thanks for the info Dennis. I picked some up and they are pretty long!

All I need now are the longer bolts for the bumpsteer spacers. I couldn't find the Mcmaster Carr catalog at work though.

97fdc321.jpg

Thanks for the info Dennis. I picked some up and they are pretty long!

All I need now are the longer bolts for the bumpsteer spacers. I couldn't find the Mcmaster Carr catalog at work though.

McMaster Carr doesnt have any bolts with a grip length in that size. If you measure the RCA on the LCA then that is what your grip length will be then measure your flange on the struts for your thread length or just add that much in grip length to equate the size of a RCA and add the stock fasteners. I would give you my info on bolts for my RCA's but I probably wont get them for at least a week. The other parts are on order from there supplier and my entire shipment will not be sent out till it is all ready to go.

As far as lugs I am just running ARP 12m X 1.5 and new lugs since I am going to have to run a 15mm spacer and even 50mm lugs would not give me enough thread for a ZX hub/15mm spacer and rim.

Here are the images wit the new studs.

DSCF4911.jpg

butcherboy, did those go on without a problem? I going with these, as my brother has an extra set of 1.5 superfancytuner lugnuts that he's giving me. And I like the fact that I'll never have a problem with coming up short on threads, ever :D

butcherboy, did those go on without a problem? I going with these, as my brother has an extra set of 1.5 superfancytuner lugnuts that he's giving me. And I like the fact that I'll never have a problem with coming up short on threads, ever :D

If he doesn't reply to you by tomorrow I will do one on my press and see how easy they go in. I have the same studs ready to go right now. I doubt very seriously you would have to bore out the hole any further, the stock knurl is .505 and these are .509.