longer wheel studs 510

This came to mind after my rear disc brake conversion, i replaced a wheel stud that was stripped and what i got from the parts store was shorter it still works but i want to replace them with a longer one. i've been looking at the nismo ones and wondered if it'll fit our hubs? i know about the nismo size diff of the knucles being bigger on the rear will these studs work or is there a replacement from the local parts store?

Thanks

BTW: i did do a search but i didn't find any topics.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take it back to the parts store and tell them you want a longer one

When i bought the wheel stud, i had the original one w/me. The parts guy the gave me the replacement said the shorter wheel stud was correct and that looking for a diff wheel stud will have issue with the spline being too big or too small. I read that 1997-2005 xterra/frontier might be a little longer i'll have to check this out.

NISMO catalog part numbers for IRS cars. Pulled from the 510, 610, 710 & 200SX section.

40222-RS025 length 59mm

40222-RS015 length 50mm

Thread for wheel nut is M12x1.25

So these lug nuts should fit the 510 hubs?

There are 2 sizes early 240 s13 had smaller splines all around and s14 rear had a bigger spline but same in the front like s13's.

its parts store guy, you have to tell him what you want, not the other way around.

98% of the time hes a dipshit and has no idea what hes talking about.

haha true no use in bitchin over $1.50.

The Dorman #610-320 stud (280ZX rear) is what has been reccomended by some for a longer front stud. 41.5mm v. 32mm for the stock 510 front stud. It turns out this is the stock 510 rear stud as well.

Using the Rock Auto site I come up with the following Dorman P/N's and specs for the 510 & 280ZX.

Dorman #610-320 – 510 & 280ZX Rear

Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.25 / Knurl Dia. 12.83mm / Length 41.5mm / Shoulder Length 14mm

Dorman #610-240 – 510 & 280ZX Front

Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.25 / Knurl Dia. 13.00mm / Length 32mm / Shoulder Length 10mm

Scroll thru the Dorman Catalog on line and you’ll find several M12x1.25 studs. The link below has the studs with the closest matching knurl diameters to the Datsun.

M12x1.25 Dorman Catalog

This one looks promising as a longer rear stud. The knurl diameter is just slightly larger (.07mm or .003").

Dorman #610-403 – ’93-‘95 J30 (front) & ’93-’98 Quest (rear)

Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.25 / Knurl Dia. 12.90mm / Length 45.5mm / Shoulder Length 15mm

This one looks promising as a longer rear stud. The knurl diameter is just slightly larger (.07mm or .003").

Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.25 / Knurl Dia. 12.90mm / Length 45.5mm / Shoulder Length 15mm

thanks Dave i'll look into those pt#'s. if they do pan out i'll let you all know and post pic. :D

I used ARP wheel studs on mine..... can't remember the part # though.I think its 110-7708. The thread pitch is 1.5 so you will need different lugnuts to go with your new studs.

Same here. They were much cheaper than going with NISMO studs, and the same length as well.

(duke and datto) yeah i was reading up on the arp studs,big price diff from nismo,i wouldn't mind switching over to 1.5 but i'll see if there is a decent size on the dorman's since the LAP should have some in stock. Thanks for the reply guys and pics of the arp would be sweet!

(duke and datto) yeah i was reading up on the arp studs,big price diff from nismo,i wouldn't mind switching over to 1.5 but i'll see if there is a decent size on the dorman's since the LAP should have some in stock. Thanks for the reply guys and pics of the arp would be sweet!

No problem man. I didn't take any pics, I didn't think swapping wheel studs was picture worthy. :rolleyes:

ok i looked at the dorman #'s dimedave gave me and the one's for the j30 is about 1/4 longer than the 280zx/510 studs. i might just go w/these $22 for 12. the kurl diameter is a lil bigger but that shouldn't be an issue. it should still be good when i do the 280zx front conversion. Problem solved :thumbup:

When I was planning on using Maxima wheels on the 510, this came up. In my research I haven't found any longer wheel studs in the 12x1.25 pitch of Nissan/Datsun that were long enough to do any good. I did find huge long ones, even bought a set from Ichiba.

www.ichibausa.com

Good quality studs, variety of lengths, rather expensive. And I now have 16 of them not being used! :D Oh well, keep them around for a future project I guess.

It was also suggested to drill out the studs to 1/2 and go with an American stud.

• 2 weeks later...

Beating the dead horse..okay I'm retarded. :)

So I have OEM Datsun in the back, what size studs do I need and what are my options? I need longer ones buy 1"

I have 280z in the front, what studs do I need and what are my options? I need longer ones to match my back. 1"

I would like black to match my rims.

Tell me like I'm a 5 year old. Thanks for your continued patience!! lol.

• Like 1
Beating the dead horse..okay I'm retarded. :)

So I have OEM Datsun in the back, what size studs do I need and what are my options? I need longer ones buy 1"

I have 280z in the front, what studs do I need and what are my options? I need longer ones to match my back. 1"

I would like black to match my rims.

Tell me like I'm a 5 year old. Thanks for your continued patience!! lol.

Depending on whether you want to change from m12x 1.25 or m12x1.50 (thread pitch of the stud) You can get the ARP studs but the thread pitch is m12x1.5 so you must change you lug nuts to fit these and the length will be more than plenty, if you have a stock wheel stud go to auto or whatever parts store that carries this Dorman PT#610-403 – ’93-‘95 J30 (front) & ’93-’98 Quest (rear)

Remember the the Knurl the knuckle part of the stud will be a few cm bigger than stock 510 lug studs and may require a lil bit of elbow grease never use an impact to get a stud in.

i went to the parts house and got some studs from a ford there a little bigger knurel wise and they needed new lugs but they were almost an inch and a half longer and it cost me 20 bucks to do the rear

• 2 weeks later...

Good info here. Does anybody know if this part # stud will fit into a ZX front hub ?........

Dorman PT#610-403 – ’93-‘95 J30 (front) & ’93-’98 Quest (rear)

Ok went to Kragen / O reileys today & bought 1 stud part # 610-320-1, compared to the stock 280 ZX stud it's 1/2 inch longer so it "should" work for the rims im running.

I also ordered 8 of these.........

Ill be swapping them out Sat. & ill get comparison pix.