Well back at it yaaaa .............

Still working on the rear suspension

IMG_3527_zps2grcnm3g.jpg

IMG_3529_zps69458aj8.jpg

IMG_3530_zpshg3v6d5f.jpg

IMG_3531_zpsimzevhpn.jpg

IMG_3534_zpsw4lkabgj.jpg

IMG_3536_zps3xdgipah.jpg

Before I weld everything out , I have to figure out the Watts link , and go with pivot mounted to the diff cover or on the frame , my tire clearance is to close to just go with a Panhard rod .

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Update Watts link !!

Well you guys know me ......have to think outside the box or inside the chassis lol lol !!!

Super happy it works , I made lots of areas for adjustment

IMG_3570_zpscgciu3z3.jpg

IMG_3574_zps1joemkea.jpg

IMG_3580_zpssewgmhnz.jpg

DSC03538_zps9xejti32.jpg

DSC03543_zps9zmie3rb.jpg

DSC03556_zpsqsfgnsxu.jpg

DSC03561_zpsthm6efip.jpg

DSC03563_zpsbafqihgo.jpg

here is a vid of it moving at this site ( http://datsunminitruckin.com/supercharged-vg30-720_topic920_page21.html) , it stayed on center , a little hard to balance with no shocks hooked up, this was the first run , I just set it static at the bottom of the travel ( full extension ) and it tracked in the center all the way to the top , I put the laser on it also and ran it up and down . Sweetness if I do say so myself !!

• Like 3

The video doesn't work for me.

I look at this and think how can that work with the pivot arm connected to the rear axle being 2 different lengths from its attachment point, it seems like the axle would either move sideways one way or the other a little, or it would bind.

What kind of mind can make this work, it has to be twisted, in my head I see 2 different arcs, the top longer arm I see when moved up and down a foot a slight smiley face/ flatter arc/curve, but the short arm when moved up and down that same foot, I see a big smile/more curved arc, now being the bottom half of that pivot arm is shorter, it would seem to me that the upper half of the pivot arm(longer half) would want to move a lot more than the upper arm will let it move.

It seems to me that the long arm should have the short side of the pivot arm, at least that is what I see in my head.

• Like 1

The video doesn't work for me.

I look at this and think how can that work with the pivot arm connected to the rear axle being 2 different lengths from its attachment point, it seems like the axle would either move sideways one way or the other a little, or it would bind.

What kind of mind can make this work, it has to be twisted, in my head I see 2 different arcs, the top longer arm I see when moved up and down a foot a slight smiley face/ flatter arc/curve, but the short arm when moved up and down that same foot, I see a big smile/more curved arc, now being the bottom half of that pivot arm is shorter, it would seem to me that the upper half of the pivot arm(longer half) would want to move a lot more than the upper arm will let it move.

It seems to me that the long arm should have the short side of the pivot arm, at least that is what I see in my head.

Hi Wayno

The video is in windows media player , trust me it works , a bit of a brain teaser , I had fun with this one ,especially dragging my ass with a crappy winter cold , how do I post a vid on here ?

Cheers Fast720

• Like 2

Watts link Video Link ........maybe try this

If the video works follow the center bolt on the diff cover , line it up with the ribs on the back of the cab , you can see it goes straight up and down , still have to tidy up a couple of parts machine up some rod end spacers and finish welding it all out.

http://vid1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/philinvic720/MAH03531_zps2feey4vb.mp4

Let me know if that works please

• Like 2

That video worked fine for me.

I thought it would travel higher, if that is all the travel you have then what I was thinking doesn't even matter/come into play as there is no arc to speak of, as the arms/pivot don't move far enough.

I guess I thought too much about the one aspect without knowing the envelope of operation, it would have helped if I had seen the video before posting a reply. 

• Like 1

Hi Wayno

I was amazed at how little the pivot moves in order to maintain a center , I made sue that the link rods were at the same angle , I checked my roll center and its close enough for me , still some fine tuning , this was the first time I cycled it , the jam nuts aren't even tight.

It can get overwhelming all the info out there , I wanted to do something different , and I have room now over the axle if I choose to run exhaust to the back ,as my build hasn't been challenging enough , I thought of it as 2 panhard bars needing to give a little so that they don't bind ? if that makes any sense to anyone .......gotta go fight my cold ( some rest ), thanks for the input

• Like 1

You have more time into this build than all my builds combined.

I would not have said a thing if that pivot arm had had the same length arms on it, but it didn't and all of a sudden all I see in my head are angles, arcs, and movements, it's torture sometimes being me, if I wasn't thinking all the time I might actually get some decent sleep, I wish I could dream this shit, but I lay there thinking about this crap and other crap.

• Like 1

Update

Working on the Parking Brake ............

IMG_3604_zpsghtml9dp.jpg

IMG_3598_zpsccwkc0i4.jpg

605e4a9d-6bc1-4ace-a07a-86d407fc7830_zps

IMG_3602_zpsun5o9k4t.jpg

Going to mount the disc behind the companion flange , will be better for the caliper mount , I will change the pinion seal at the same time.

Stay tuned .....

• Like 2

Update

Still dragging my butt with the flu .......

But I got something done , still working on the parking brake , haven't decide on which caliper I will use .

Anyway here is the master in the bracket so far.

IMG_3605_zps3c5uw8yk.jpg

IMG_3608_zpsggfbelkr.jpg

IMG_3612_zpszdqwz6ep.jpg

hope to get a bunch done this weekend .......

• Like 3

Update

Well I didn't get as much done as I would have liked , still not feeling good ( Cold From Hell )

So here is where we are , got the little disc installed behind the flange and new pinion seal and nut .

I shortened the bolts and the head length to be sure of clearance on the diff .

IMG_3622_zpslzqjs37f.jpg

IMG_3615_zpst8xfd78r.jpg

Also cut the two big lugs off the diff were the antilock brake sensor goes , made a little plug , still have to make the retainer for it.

IMG_3617_zpsdtqc7pub.jpg

IMG_3619_zpsquidczwu.jpg

Painted the nose of the diff while it was stripped

IMG_3621_zpswf2emxwe.jpg

IMG_3627_zpszulxyl7s.jpg

Well that's it for now .............sorry not too exciting

• Like 3