Supercharged VG30 ,stretched 720 Pickup

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you hammer forming the recesses in the panels, or is it strictly bead roller work? Either way, super nice job.

Hi the panels were formed in a bead roller , I would have done the rear section the same as the front , but I don't have a shrinker yet , and the more you stretch the panel the harder it is to install because it is all twisted and oil canned .

It was hard enough to get these tacked in without twisting the side of the box .

And thanks for all the great comments ......its hard to keep going sometimes when it's always uphill

Cheers Fast720

• Like 3

Update

Set the box on the chassis to see where we were at , looking good so far , lots of wiggle room .

So the box is just sitting there , I put a couple of small bits of wood under it to hold it up close to where it should be to get an idea of what it's going to be like.

IMG_3084_zpsnkhnmfgx.jpg

IMG_3087_zpsybslerbw.jpg

IMG_3088_zps3mu7kjnn.jpg

IMG_3089_zpslmijwczx.jpg

Going to start on the 4 link tomorrow , make some patterns and do some lay out on some plate.

• Like 7

Very sweet!!

I'd love to see some vid of your bead roller in action. :)

Hi ,I would love to have the time to do a little vid for you guys , sorry but I found this vid on line , which is basically the roller I have , it wasn't very expensive around $ 130.00 and came with about 6 different sets of dies , I am going to modify one set and make a set of Flame dies to use with a skateboard wheel.

The possibilities are endless , there is another guy on youtube called Lazze he is great to watch and learn from.

Here are the links

• Like 3

I understand the time constraints. I already know how the bead roller works, just wanted to see your technique with yours.  :)  I've had a bead roller, new-in-the-box sitting on the shelf for years now. lol!!  

Keep up the great work. :)

• Like 1

Update

Started working on the 4 link

IMG_3134_zpsqqzhniwu.jpg

I decided to weld a lifting lug in the box instead of using straps ( it's been on and off so many times lately )

IMG_3135_zpsck5nbxib.jpg

I think my rear diff is bent ? was checking last night and it's not square , so I am going to try clamping it to my bench and hopefully get it right then weld it up.

IMG_3136_zpssr5lopkj.jpg

IMG_3137_zpszs5khhtd.jpg

I can still make up all the parts to weld on the diff and the chassis , as well as make up the bars .

• Like 3

Update

Well the Diff housing was bent , I tried to straighten it but No way , I called the wreakers that I got it from and they are super good guys and got me another one , exactly the same ( just not bent ).

So I decided to shorten this one a different way , I think it was faster , I cut the long side tube and welded it back on , came out perfectly square and the same length as the other short side .

IMG_3140_zps03lattub.jpg

still had to plasma all the unnecessary stuff off and prep for surgery

IMG_3143_zps2dfv3orl.jpg

IMG_3147_zpswn5brldo.jpg

IMG_3148_zps5gkcksx7.jpg

IMG_3150_zpsyf5ctoxw.jpg

I machined up a piece of tube to sleeve the inside to help hold it true

IMG_3168_zpswz51rmg0.jpg

IMG_3171_zpsq9upmaci.jpg

I clamped it together with some channel to help hold it while tacking and welding

IMG_3175_zps2kpto1et.jpg

I decided to Tig weld it instead of using the Mig , more control

IMG_3178_zpssodduufh.jpg

IMG_3179_zpssyeuvtku.jpg

Sweetness

IMG_3181_zpsjcjnv1ib.jpg

IMG_3183_zpsdc05rvhw.jpg

Also made some extra room in the frame rail while I was at it , ( you know incase I can ever afford Air Ride )

IMG_3187_zpsri4dssiw.jpg

A small delay with the Diff but it's no good bent , so onto the 4 link finally tonight.

IMG_3192_zpshjucyn52.jpg

• Like 5

Update

Working on the 4 link Brackets , was handy having a few inches of the axle to test fit parts .

So here are the parts for the Axle

IMG_3216_zps6wgzlike.jpg

IMG_3219_zpss4wooblk.jpg

IMG_3225_zpszx4zl40e.jpg

IMG_3248_zpsxbx2mukc.jpg

Here are the long brackets that are going to go under the frame rails , and again making 4 parts at a time to make them the same so everything lines up . I also made a pattern out of sheet metal to scribe the lines to see better for plasma cutting.

IMG_3230_zpsahdy01se.jpg

IMG_3232_zpsob4xr8x5.jpg

IMG_3236_zpsb1pyfj1v.jpg

IMG_3243_zpsjwc7grfm.jpg

IMG_3245_zpsegfh1tcf.jpg

This is were the long one will go

IMG_3253_zpsvhqmwhiu.jpg

IMG_3251_zpsyxok8esj.jpg

So I have to plasma off the old leaf spring perches and clean up the rails , then tack the new parts on and measure up for the bars .

• Like 6

Update

The 4 link is coming along !!!!

Still have shock mounts to figure out and Watts link , and sway bar .

Well this is what I came up with , it's sitting in it's loaded position with the bars parallel to the ground .

IMG_3262_zpsftegplkl.jpg

IMG_3264_zpsmk5fwc2v.jpg

IMG_3265_zpswpts82or.jpg

IMG_3266_zpsufeq4pz7.jpg

IMG_3271_zpsnob1x4xi.jpg

IMG_3275_zpsmbo6bu6k.jpg

• Like 4