Supercharged VG30 ,stretched 720 Pickup

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you decide to narrow the front only after doing the rear end? Would have been cleaner and easier to narrow the whole frame through rebuilding/fabricating new cross members and making new can mounts.

Looking good though and work is very clean

Hi Finney , was hoping not to do any of it, had to do the rear for the wheel clearance , didn't want to change the fuel tank location ,plus the tank is very close to the driveshaft.

I wanted to keep the spare tire under the box ( I plan on doing some long distance road trips ), the front tires stuck out too much by 2.625 combined so I looked for the same wheels with a different offset , no luck. So then I thought I would make new front suspension , too much work and time

Also the front cab mount brackets were pressed hard up against the rockers and were at the wrong angle .

This D21 chassis swap turned out to be a pain in the ass , I too a few weeks ago was thinking maybe just build a new chassis , but that's a ton of work also and you really need a big jig or table to do it right.

But this is working out in a round about way .

My brother lives in OZ

• Like 1

Update

Still slogging away at it , built a cross member for the driveshaft hanger bearing , with a notch for the exhaust and a notch on the top for the lines , still need to put in some slots for extra stuff later , here is the first test fit , had to porta-power the frame apart 1/4 of an inch it collapsed when I cut the factory one out , I measured it all before chopping so I would have a reference .

IMG_2461_zpsbpce9hwh.jpg

IMG_2469_zpstxzpqvyy.jpg

Always clamp stuff down when welding

IMG_2475_zpsf8fvmzr3.jpg

IMG_2481_zpsj4sncyuf.jpg

Once this is welded in I will yank the engine and trans out and do the front coil overs and the lower control arms , looking forward to that.

then the engine and trans go back in to test fit the cab for mounts .

• Like 4

Hot damn dude, I know this has been a trial for you to say the least, but I am fascinated watching how you resolve problem after problem, with exceptional skill and creativity. So it sucks for you but is pretty amazing for us to watch.

• Like 5

Yeah, not to make a direct comparison, but this is like watching a baby climb out of the crib. So awesome seeing someone overcome obstacles with perseverance.

-Peter

This baby climbed out of the crib straight into a doing brain surgery in a day! Amazing talent

• Like 2

Update

Thanks again for all the kind words of encouragement .

Back at it again today , pulled the engine and trans to do the front suspension .

IMG_2529_zpsajmdczei.jpg

Cut the shock tower ends off

IMG_2527_zpseehvi21w.jpg

IMG_2530_zpsjibse4kw.jpg

Plasmaed out the factory bump stops

IMG_2532_zps2ggyi2pd.jpg

Don't worry I will tidy that up and weld in a closing plate , will also add a gusset .

IMG_2535_zpsgrvmrffu.jpg

Mock up or should I say shock up lol lol

IMG_2539_zpsp3capguh.jpg

Machined up a fixture to locate the tube for the new A arm.

IMG_2545_zpsv43ummzt.jpg

IMG_2549_zpsaopuep5b.jpg

New lower shock mounts , remember the trick I showed you guy earlier about doing more than one part at a time. here is a classic example.

IMG_2551_zpsm33rla9h.jpg

IMG_2553_zpsyj4oad4m.jpg

Rough cut them out , tack them together and finish grind them all at once .

IMG_2557_zpsr3y6ekkn.jpg

I don't have some of the CNC plasma or water jet luxuries some people have , here CNC stands for Cut N Caress with a mini grinder.

IMG_2559_zpsq9yijk1m.jpg

IMG_2560_zpsm8jdpon4.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsz3hat2lr.jpg

IMG_2568_zps00ipr6dw.jpg

A fixture for welding the tabs to the plate for the shock to fit into .

IMG_2570_zpswlanlfgq.jpg

IMG_2573_zpsmvddyews.jpg

well that it for today ................cheers

• Like 8

Update

IMG_2577_zpsaquezyl5.jpg

front lower shock mounts

IMG_2580_zpsm78gcftf.jpg

Make new holes for the sway bar bushings to go through

IMG_2582_zps1kal8afm.jpg

IMG_2584_zpsewmhinzl.jpg

Trim the factory shock mounts , not heavy enough for coil overs .

IMG_2590_zpsw6wegns9.jpg

IMG_2598_zpsktaeinip.jpg

Triangulate the lower control arms

IMG_2600_zpskrg4px1y.jpg

and yes I made the tube notcher

IMG_2604_zpsbkpykwz7.jpg

IMG_2609_zpsz2cfqpxz.jpg

IMG_2611_zpssvn0ezvm.jpg

IMG_2615_zpscjbixtn1.jpg

IMG_2617_zpszepwmp1c.jpg

IMG_2621_zpss7koy1j0.jpg

IMG_2626_zps9gyzvlmj.jpg

IMG_2629_zpsbxqxlgvi.jpg

• Like 6

Update

still moving along , should be on upper shock mounts tomorrow

IMG_2678_zps6gjqf1ls.jpg

IMG_2679_zpslsizrypp.jpg

IMG_2681_zpsojdz6bcr.jpg

IMG_2682_zpsdunk9jwi.jpg

these brackets were fun to make ................still more to do with these . there is another plate to go on top of the gussets.

• Like 5

Update

Lower control arms almost done , was hoping to get onto the upper shock mounts today , but ran out of time , until tomorrow .

Home made Dimple Die , not that great on heavier plate , it was designed for sheet metal and aluminum .

IMG_2684_zpsqinabv6z.jpg

IMG_2685_zpsye7vxp9o.jpg

It works but it takes a few shots at it in the press and then I have to flatten the outside .

IMG_2687_zpss09fifp3.jpg

IMG_2691_zpsobwjxeeb.jpg

IMG_2692_zpsbsmhqnpl.jpg

IMG_2693_zpsipblsm8e.jpg

getting excited to put the cab back on in a day or two , and then we will see what the next problem will be .................oh joy

• Like 4

Serious question, not a criticism - what is the benefit of radiusing the tubing, rather than running it straight, to the new bushing?  Is it not, ultimately, enacting the same directional force at the bushing?  I know some people do it for shock clearance or an airbag pad, but doesn't look like you're doing that...

• Like 1

Serious question, not a criticism - what is the benefit of radiusing the tubing, rather than running it straight, to the new bushing?  Is it not, ultimately, enacting the same directional force at the bushing?  I know some people do it for shock clearance or an airbag pad, but doesn't look like you're doing that...

Hi

Yes I could have just run the tube at an angle from the control arm ,( like a traditional A arm )I did it this way in case I ever go to bags.

• Like 2

How much clearance between the new rear arm and the frame when the control arm is pivoted all the way up (suspension bottomed out without bump stops, if you do go with air bags)?

Hi I am going with QA1 shocks for now because I have them already , but with the suspension almost all the way , with a 1/4 inch before hitting the frame with the a arm tube , and the nineteen inch wheels it would be about two inches from laying frame on the ground , I always wanted a vehicle that goes up and down , seems too cool .................

IMG_2694_zpskc3mdopb.jpg

• Like 3