Supercharged VG30 ,stretched 720 Pickup

I just went back and looked at the list of things that you avoided on the 720 by going with the d21 chassis.......it's starting to look more like a push time-wise. :(   I hope the new direction will gain you back some of the advantage you had originally hoped for. :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the new direction is still a shit load of work !!!!!! So I am starting with a fresh sheet of paper , all the stuff that didn't line up or was just not going to work out got the Plasma Axe !!!!!!

Channeling the frame and Z ing the frame in the middle to get the wheels inside the fenders gutted the torsion bars and cross member ,motor mounts cab mounts , also going to be scrapping the rear leafs .

Was thinking of changing the name of the build to " The Daily Grind " Stay Tuned

IMG_2175_zps4h5fmgkt.jpg

IMG_2178_zpszia7fixr.jpg

IMG_2188_zpsw00trypk.jpg

IMG_2200_zpsqzxdsodi.jpg

Still have to channel the back section of frame to just past where the cab mounts , I figured if I have to body drop the box , I might as well put the cab where I want it .

IMG_2215_zps87newp3o.jpg

IMG_2230_zpsg1bqgsv0.jpg

IMG_2235_zpstlcv9xbj.jpg

I took a total of 2 1/2 inches out of the frame in the front.

IMG_2241_zps2dyr8po8.jpg

I know Wayno doesn't like all the pictures lol lol

IMG_2243_zps847duhg2.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsxasxwki0.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsxasxwki0.jpg

IMG_2260_zps3m6ptocc.jpg

IMG_2267_zps3ghvzysz.jpg

IMG_2269_zps9zubskr3.jpg

IMG_2278_zpseidyisun.jpg

All boxed and readr for capping , still a long flatbar Fish plate to go on the inside of the frame rail

IMG_2298_zpslbm7mifm.jpg

IMG_2308_zps4gy0xhek.jpg

IMG_2313_zps5ngqdyrt.jpg

IMG_2318_zpslkcsppi3.jpg

IMG_2327_zpsvkfztp25.jpg

I took 1 1/4 inches out of the frame rails , so I also lowered the engine and trans , had to make a new mount for the drivers side and relocate both mounting pads.

IMG_2333_zpsg51qgcx5.jpg

IMG_2338_zpsbip234by.jpg

next is a trans cross member and coilovers up front , ditch the radius rods , add an extra tube to the lower control arms.

Well I figured if I was going to go to all this trouble it might as well be what I wanted , was just as well changing chassis as I found a very bad spot of rust on the old 720 , looked good from the out side , shit load of rust on the inside ..............

• Like 7

I'm diggin' this thread. Good work!

Looks like you have a fairly low VIN Hardbody. If I recall correctly, the first year was considered as an 86-1/2, but I don't know if they actually had a VIN of 1987 for the first year of them. Either way, yours is still low for the year. 

Well the new direction is still a shit load of work !!!!!! So I am starting with a fresh sheet of paper , all the stuff that didn't line up or was just not going to work out got the Plasma Axe !!!!!!
Channeling the frame and Z ing the frame in the middle to get the wheels inside the fenders gutted the torsion bars and cross member ,motor mounts cab mounts , also going to be scrapping the rear leafs .
Was thinking of changing the name of the build to " The Daily Grind " Stay Tuned

IMG_2178_zpszia7fixr.jpg

• Like 1

Update Trans cross member

IMG_2342_zpsa2mtxuvn.jpg

I used the piece I cut out to press in the flat bar , didn't work too bad , had to weld a bolt inside to stop it from spreading

IMG_2348_zpsl0kirvlj.jpg

IMG_2350_zpstu3fm6xi.jpg

IMG_2351_zpspbpx8ebh.jpg

IMG_2353_zpsjesepx9w.jpg

The center piece , it's on an angle so I snipped the flat bar in the stretched corners

IMG_2357_zpshefbu0g5.jpg

Still need to make a small pocket on the top passenger side for the brake and fuel lines to pass over, but I have had enough for today.

IMG_2359_zpsnmpjtw1j.jpg

IMG_2360_zpstvtmjkmf.jpg

• Like 4

Update

Trans cross member ready to weld in ( sorry Charlie ) I want the chassis as stiff as possible , there will be lots of room to remove the engine and trans together , I am making the front rad support removable also , so engine pulling will be easy .

IMG_2370_zpsyolfnaz1.jpg

I decided to make a couple of cable ways in the cross member in case I ever want to run something else up the inside of the chassis , like air lines or what ever.

IMG_2372_zpsisrbziug.jpg

I figured that now was way easier than later .

IMG_2373_zpsjnfp6mnh.jpg

IMG_2376_zpsotv0tgvr.jpg

Man o man I do like that plasma cutter

IMG_2381_zpsybbb4csc.jpg

IMG_2392_zpsgeb3upey.jpg

IMG_2400_zpseftqfpwf.jpg

made an extra notch in the top for the lines to pass by

IMG_2409_zpsaimn3spk.jpg

IMG_2412_zpsfmdfhli5.jpg

IMG_2413_zpsruad1wjh.jpg

IMG_2419_zpsn75684xl.jpg

IMG_2427_zpsdd7xwwog.jpg

Will weld that uot tomorrow and then finish channeling the rear section of the frame.

• Like 6

Update

Welded out the trans cross member , and chopped the bearing hanger cross member out ,prepped and channeled the drivers side frame rail.

Man I am tiered of grinding , also hate under coating now big time !!!

IMG_2430_zps5xzsuf6l.jpg

Ah the open canvas .................laid out the channel cuts

IMG_2436_zpss8bbknqn.jpg

IMG_2438_zpsfzkbld2i.jpg

more tomorrow .................

• Like 6

Oh just incase you were wondering .................I really appreciate the feed back , it helps to keep me motivated , I wish I had more time to cruise the site and look at all the builds , it's a great bunch of Ratsun Folks .............and quite a pool of talent , I am often humbled here.

Cheers

• Like 5

Update

Channeled the rear section of frame under the cab , modified the fuel tank forward bracket , I had 1 3/4 inches between the floor of the cab and the top of the nose of the fuel tank. and the tank needs to stay flush with the bottom of the frame rails.

IMG_2440_zpstgykeqjh.jpg

IMG_2443_zps8gi3fqtk.jpg

IMG_2452_zpsvw9ak9w9.jpg

also started getting the drive shaft organized ( to build support cross member ),Nissan is so cool , I took the flange off the 300ZX shaft right after the hanger bearing and swapped it for the D21 flange , direct bolt on .....so sweet. always some bad news, the 300ZX trans is 2 inches shorter than the truck trans , and the ford 8.8 differentials nose is a couple of inches shorter than the D21 Diff. I picked up a combination U joint , one half fits the Nissan yoke and the other half fits the ford yoke how sweet is that ,this means I can put the ford yoke on the end of the Nissan shaft and bolt it right on the diff.

But I am still 2 inches short .was thinking of a driveshaft disc brake setup for the parking brake , that will take up 1/4 inch ....

IMG_2453_zpsxciarzou.jpg

IMG_2455_zpspdnk72sj.jpg

IMG_2456_zps2yvd64op.jpg

And I have already moved the engine back an down 1 1/4 inches , so it looks like a spacer is in order.

• Like 4

I'm one of those people that wants to read the end of the book before the start, just to know if I want to read the book.

So that said, the box was too high, now you have lowered the cab, so now the box is even going to be higher, what are you going to do about the box, as I recall you didn't want to do a box drop?

• Like 1

I'm one of those people that wants to read the end of the book before the start, just to know if I want to read the book.

So that said, the box was too high, now you have lowered the cab, so now the box is even going to be higher, what are you going to do about the box, as I recall you didn't want to do a box drop?

Hi Wayno , yes the box was about 1 1/2 inches too high , and the cab was also too high for the look I am after . I found that the D21 body is much longer from the mounts down by a few inches , so this is why the 720 body sat up like a 4X4 . so I figured if I have to body drop the box 1 1/2 inches it might as well be 2 1/2 or 3 to achieve the end goal .

• Like 1

Hi Wayno , yes the box was about 1 1/2 inches too high , and the cab was also too high for the look I am after . I found that the D21 body is much longer from the mounts down by a few inches , so this is why the 720 body sat up like a 4X4 . so I figured if I have to body drop the box 1 1/2 inches it might as well be 2 1/2 or 3 to achieve the end goal .

I get it, if your going to do a box drop, then why not get the body where you want it first, then do the box drop.

• Like 2

Yes Wayno , that's exactly what I am doing , channeling the chassis so I can drop the cab down farther , I am going to install the front coil overs next so I can set it back on the ground ( so I can roll it out of the way to pick up the cab with the hoist ), then I will set the cab back on the chassis and make new cab mounts , this will tell me how much to body drop the box.

• Like 2