Supercharged VG30 ,stretched 720 Pickup

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys , today I am going to try to the new axle under the doner chassis to see where I am with the clearance , I think I might have to narrow the frame where the wheels are , its going to be tight .

• Like 1

How I read it was that he was going to use a short side axle from another rear axle, so now he has two short axles instead of one long side and one short side, I thought that was a great solution without having to make an axle.

I wondered why he didn't just use the short axle housing also, but maybe there is a reason that he couldn't, I don't know shit about Ford axles.

• Like 2

Hi yes I pressed out the long axle side tube from the center housing and cut 3 inches off the tube , and picked up another short side axle , I looked for another diff with a damaged long side to get a another short side tube , but no luck ,so I had to cut the long tube down and grind it down to the right size to press back into the housing , so no machining splines or cutting axles , just cutting the axle tube and installing another short axle , the inexpensive do it yourself way chop a Ford 8.8 rear diff down 3 inches !!!!!.

So Update , as I expected the chassis on the D21 is way wider than that of the 720 , so I am going to have to narrow the back section of the frame. and move the leaf springs in a bit also .

here is where are at so far today.

modified the rear rotors to fit the Ford axle flanges and got the discs and wheels mounted

IMG_1923_zpsbypkajkd.jpg

dragged the doner chassis in and pulled the stock D21 diff out

IMG_1925_zpsjwhibj5y.jpg

IMG_1933_zpsa5g1sj6q.jpg

got the Ford 8.8 in for a test fit

IMG_1937_zpsaok593vb.jpg

My calculations said I was going to have 1/8 inch of clearance per side , well ether way I have to narrow the back ......Dam

IMG_1940_zpstscc2zna.jpg

IMG_1941_zpsvodcnk82.jpg

IMG_1944_zpsqonwige6.jpg

I ordered some 2 inch Bell-Teck drop spindles for the front , they should be here on Thursday with any luck .

• Like 4

Update , Rear frame section gets narrowed , I decided to do one side at a time , keeping one side together to have something to measure from and know its correct. so here is side one !!!

IMG_1945_zpsrdz5wt8z.jpg

I am narrowing the rear 3 inches , this will be the same width as the stock 720 frame rails , it will help to install the box later.

IMG_1947_zpsofk3vg5m.jpg

On the cross bar behind the fuel tank , I took out 1 1/2 inches from the middle and next will shorten the other end ( close to the passenger frame rail ) so it doesn't affect the fuel tank mount.

IMG_1956_zpspeixdnw9.jpg

IMG_1957_zps8pc75cs7.jpg

IMG_1961_zpsvez0hguw.jpg

Still another inside box section to go on , I will bump up a piece for both once I am into the other side.

IMG_1964_zpsp6ep8y5g.jpg

IMG_1965_zpsqtumlnao.jpg

IMG_1970_zps6wa6zkct.jpg

IMG_1975_zpszrklytg7.jpg

Drop spindles come tomorrow , so should be assembling the front end on Friday and with any luck start transplanting Blue Thunder on the weekend

• Like 5

Ya Charlie me too , yet again I am the pioneer ...............why me , stay tuned this week , 2 inch bell tech drop spindles and my machined front hubs , Z32 brakes and the 19 inch wheels , along with the 300ZX (Z31) engine and trans with the blower are going in and the cab is going to get a test fit.

Going to be interesting ..................I hope the front isn't going to be too frigin wide .....

thanks guys for following along , it can get overwhelming sometimes ......

• Like 2

I installed the Belltech drop spindles on my 66 520 that has the 1980 720 chassis under it.  When I added the spindles I had to upgrade the non vented rotors to the later model 720 vented rotors, calipers, and dust shields.  I also had to have my brother shave my lower control arms in order to run the 1978 620 stock 14" wheels.

Shaved LCAs

DSC02377.jpg

Stock LCAs

720%20Lower%20Control%20Arm.jpg

• Like 1

interesting ,I should have enough room for the end of the LCA in a 19 inch wheel , I was wondering with the drop spindles if the Radius rod would run into the wheel at full lock ? I might have to make the LCA's A arms and ditch the Radius rods . we will see tomorrow as soon as the get here they are going on , also are the tie rod ends are different sizes between 720 and D21 ?

Cheers

• Like 1

The radius rod question is completely dependent on wheel and tire choice.  With the 14's I do not have a problem.  On the Belltech spindles there is a place for turn stop bolts.  This would allow you to adjust the stops to keep the tires from hitting the radius rods.  It might affect your turning radius.

After I get the front end back together I will set the torsion bars to stock factory height setting and at that time I might choose to go to "Z" ed lower control arms.  This will give me an additional 2" drop on the front.  When I get the front where I want it I will take the truck to a local spring shop and have them make a set of custom leaf springs to lower the rear so I have a 1" rake with the rear being higher.  I like this rake and for the Nissan leveling valve (proportioning valve) to work properly the 1" rake is required.

Measure where the LCA is before you cut the LCA, having a drop arm with a drop spindle might get you too low, I can't do it on mine, inner arm drop arm and cross member would be almost resting on the ground, it would not be safe to have both drop spindle and drop arms.

DSCN1690.JPG

DSCN1700.JPG

The radius rod question is completely dependent on wheel and tire choice.  With the 14's I do not have a problem.  On the Belltech spindles there is a place for turn stop bolts.  This would alloy you to adjust the stops to keep the tires from hitting the radius rods.  It might affect your turning radius.

After I get the front end back together I will set the torsion bars to stock factory height setting and at that time I might choose to go to "Z" ed lower control arms.  This will give me an additional 2" drop on the front.  When I get the front where I want it I will take the truck to a local spring shop and have them make a set of custom leaf springs to lower the rear so I have a 1" rake with the rear being higher.  I like this rake and for the Nissan leveling valve (proportioning valve) to work properly the 1" rake is required.

• Like 2

Hi ,Yes they are Bessey Clamps super clamps , unbelievable they can pull 660 Lbs , don't know how I could work with out them .

Xmass in August !!!! got my drop spindles today ,mocked it up and looks like I am going to have to trim the inner tie rod ends a bit , toed out a country mile ,I will set the toe and then laser it to see how much the front sticks out , god I hope it's going to fit under the fenders !!!!.

IMG_2038_zpsnpswwvh1.jpg

IMG_2042_zpsrcmuphvy.jpg

IMG_2044_zpsmxbo5uh6.jpg

IMG_2046_zpsoeb9itf8.jpg

IMG_2051_zpswzjbqdx8.jpg

IMG_2053_zpsf0xuwmsp.jpg

Had to back the torsion bars way off to get the spindles in and the thing is almost sitting on the floor .

Hope to get the engine and trans swapped tomorrow , I have to stay on this thing like crazy right now , must get it back on the road !!!!

• Like 3

Measure where the LCA is before you cut the LCA, having a drop arm with a drop spindle might get you too low, I can't do it on mine, inner arm drop arm and cross member would be almost resting on the ground, it would not be safe to have both drop spindle and drop arms.

DSCN1690.JPG

DSCN1700.JPG

Wayno those lower control arms are crazy !!!

I was thinking the same thing!

• Like 1