Supercharged VG30 ,stretched 720 Pickup

update

Worked on the summer hood some more , dollied & heat quenched out some of the stretching , I tried something to finish the edge , was tricky and still needs some tweeking before the skim of filler and primer go on.

I took 1/4 inch steel brake line and cut a slice in it , the formed it to fit over the edge , it is tack welded from behind.

Hard to bend with the slice in it , wants to crush or roll when bending on the sliced side , I think it would be too tough to slice it after bending

IMG_1471_zpsktiowzdd.jpg

IMG_1473_zpsqe54ndrs.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsbqurd8vi.jpg

IMG_1478_zpsz7lxqk2t.jpg

IMG_1485_zpspcmtwkpx.jpg

IMG_1486_zpscvd67dlv.jpg

IMG_1488_zpsbbilxqfy.jpg

IMG_1491_zpsj1rwmcjj.jpg

there is probably a better way to do this ....

• Like 11
  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

update

Worked on the summer hood some more , dollied & heat quenched out some of the stretching , I tried something to finish the edge , was tricky and still needs some tweeking before the skim of filler and primer go on.

I took 1/4 inch steel brake line and cut a slice in it , the formed it to fit over the edge , it is tack welded from behind.

Hard to bend with the slice in it , wants to crush or roll when bending on the sliced side , I think it would be too tough to slice it after bending

IMG_1471_zpsktiowzdd.jpg

IMG_1473_zpsqe54ndrs.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsbqurd8vi.jpg

IMG_1478_zpsz7lxqk2t.jpg

IMG_1485_zpspcmtwkpx.jpg

IMG_1486_zpscvd67dlv.jpg

IMG_1488_zpsbbilxqfy.jpg

IMG_1491_zpsj1rwmcjj.jpg

there is probably a better way to do this ....

I don't think so 

you look like a master at it 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Excellent News !!!!!!!!

I have come up with a solution to rescue Blue Thunder from doom ........the problem is the same as everyone's , these projects need money and tons of time , and time is the biggest one for me , so I am dialing the back on the build to make it less time and money .

Here is the big plan !!!! I bought a 1987 D21 Full load SE V6 5 Speed 2wd pickup , so to save a bunch of time ( that I don't have ) I am going to strip the body off it and swap my VG30 with the blower , chassis already has a VG30 and all the wiring,suspension brake lines ,I am going to graft the 720 body onto the D21 chassis and slam it as much as I can, put my 19 inch wheels and big brakes , so this way I don't have to finish all the cantilevered suspension , run fuel and brake lines , e brake, tank wiring don't have to make half shafts, main drive shaft , no drop links for the bump steer , so much stuff will be off the list  ,will have to shorten the box at the front. I have already started stripping the D21 , it has A/C , cruise , power locks and windows , so all that wiring harness will go in blue thunder .......Sweet , will keep you posted.

IMG_1737_zpshimpaj0w.jpg

IMG_1738_zpskvvu4ccr.jpg

Also rescued my old white D21 by blending a couple of D21's together , it had the Z24 with 475 thousand kilometers on it , so swapped in a KA24E

and a set of wheels from a swap meet and a chin spoiler from a Ford Ranger , ( much modifying ) looks great and runs awesome , funky exhaust too!!

IMG_1713_zpsp4fijqkf.jpg

IMG_1714_zpsj3f6kyqe.jpg

IMG_1708_zpshbwe36n8.jpg

• Like 10

F'n hell Ya! I can hear my GPS systems voice right now "Recalculating route". Glad to see your ass is back in it. If you're busy you need something to counter balance with some fun in your life. You know, all work and no play makes Slow720. 

• Like 1

Damn man, you're welding and fabrication skills are phenomenal, I'm so glad you didn't give up on the project that this is so unique, I can see you're personality oozing out of it. When you see this beast parked you look right past the Lotus, so much more visually interesting. I can't believe you built that whole thing in you're garage!!! Good Idea on utlzing the D21 chassis, ya just simplify everything you can, you already have enough custom mods...lol, just paint it and enjoy driving it, then you can sell you're other D21 and pay to finish the project. Badass man staight up badass...

• Like 1

Working away got the cab off yesterday , next is the box , then shampoo the chassis and pull the dead VG30 out , and the go get Blue Thunder and pull the engine and cab off.

Built an attachment for the engine hoist to lift the cab , worked like a hot dam , my wife and I removed it in minutes !!!!

IMG_20160728_174943988_zpsejpceotp.jpg

IMG_20160728_174933661_zpsbtedwde4.jpg

IMG_20160728_185040409_zps9vfaeo1c.jpg

IMG_20160728_185053789_zpsek6kkgyd.jpg

IMG_20160728_190414496_zpsuxqu6ng3.jpg

• Like 3

Update , working away , got the donor chassis stripped

IMG_1835_zpsgu5i95fm.jpg

IMG_1836_zpstzbm2eg1.jpg

IMG_1839_zpsvgknw4hs.jpg

Unfortunate the previous owner broke off some exhaust studs and tried to fix them , he drilled the head too far !!! right into the water jacket.

IMG_1840_zps49wtn9iv.jpg

IMG_1842_zpszftrlcuu.jpg

I know this stuff isn't too exciting , I am going to pickup Blue Thunder from my other garage today if it isn't raining , so the fun is about to begin !!!!!

• Like 3

Hi Sorry about the missing pic's , I was getting full on Photobucket and deleted some pics , not realizing the would be plucked from the web site also .

So Update time , I picked up a Ford 8.8 inch limited slip rear diff with 4:10 gears and 5 on 114.3 bolt pattern . the diff is too wide for the 720 body ( would be perfect for a D21 ) it measures 58 3/4 inches WMS to WMS the 720 is 56 1/4 inches , so I am cutting it down 3 inches , I am pulling the long side axle tube and cutting 3 inches off and going to put another short side axle in its place , this will give me 55 3/4 inches , so that will be perfect.

here is where I am at so far.

IMG_1848_zps2a0p4jca.jpg

I pulled the shafts and carrier out , ground and drilled the plug welds

IMG_1849_zps9jvbhwq5.jpg

Put the cover back on and stuff the housing with paper towels to stop the swarf from getting in.

IMG_1863_zpst9rm1j3m.jpg

Indexed the axle tube for lining it up later

IMG_1864_zpsc15dejkb.jpg

IMG_1869_zpstbxy8mtw.jpg

Pressed out the tube .

IMG_1870_zpsjj38mwfk.jpg

IMG_1872_zpsjhxjahte.jpg

IMG_1878_zpsazw5opjr.jpg

Next is cutting the tube and buffing it and bevel the edge for reassembly , weld the plug holes .

I will have to move the spring perches and shock mounts , was thinking of a triangulated reverse 4 link and bags ?

we will see how low I can get it first .

• Like 6

Update in case anyone is interested ...........

Cut the Axle tube

IMG_1882_zpsyws2kfo5.jpg

Trimmed of the spring brackets and shock mounts

IMG_1884_zpsqd1jf5yk.jpg

The Axle housing tube is tapered in several places , had to grind it down to size to fit back into the Diff , pain in the but I tried to find an other diff that was damaged on the long side , and would have just swapped the short tube.

IMG_1895_zpstcd9bt2m.jpg

Pressing the tube back into the diff housing .

IMG_1901_zpsfcwvnils.jpg

IMG_1902_zps7qgtroqt.jpg

new spring brackets they are taller which will help in lowering the truck on the axle , I think I will trim them , they are a bit long and will try to flatten the springs , still not sure at this point if I am going to do some kind of link setup ?

IMG_1912_zpsijmbkdir.jpg

had to drill out the stud holes and make the center hole bigger to fit the 8.8 axles , couldn't get the right studs to fit the axle with the same thread as the front hubs

IMG_1915_zpsz2ckervo.jpg

IMG_1918_zpsx9wa8qnp.jpg

It's always something !!!!!!

• Like 4

It's funny how a lot of people talk about how they don't want to do a Ford 9 inch or similar axle because it's too expensive to get shortened. You're over here with a few manual hydraulics making it look like another easy trick in the lineup. Great work man, glad you kept the truck

• Like 4