Story time: My 1974 B210 4dr. It ain't easy being green.

Dguy210

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got some work done on the B210 recently. Put together a relay harness for the headlight (and new headlights), and cleaned up some of the wiring, no pics on that yet. Also test fit another grill a friend gave me. I think I like the earlier style honeycomb grill better though.

29d79ced.jpg

Also played around with the mold again. Second try, quick spray job still perfecting this. I will probably sand and touch up and repaint this one for fun.

0b1b8a24.jpg

I still need to figure out something with the fender gap on the front wheel though. With the B210 struts the gap was <1 inch, but with the 280zx struts the gap is >2 inches. The 280zx strut however is shorter about 2 inches overall (I need to find the picture I took for this) but the new strut cartridge definitely seems to raise it more. I'm running the 280zx strut, with B210 strut cup, with cut B210 springs cut to ~12 inches or about the same unloaded height as the 280zx stock spring. Front tires are 175/65/r14 rear are 185/70r14. The ride is pretty decent right now, I'm just not a big fan of the gap. The tires on the front are brand new so I really don't want to change them again. I figure the options are 1. cut the springs more, or lower the strut cup, 2. put a bigger tire (test fit one this does work), 3. go to different rims with a larger tire. I'd rather not remove the spring again to cut it or lower the cup, as I fear the ride quality might get worse, and it is just a big pain in the ass to disassemble the strut. I'm sorta going with this as an excuse to get new rims, maybe in a 15 as I have a bunch of decent tires for those kicking around.

Before:

2f00af00.jpg

Current:

1821f9ef.jpg

Probably ok at 10 feet, but I think I can improve the next batch significantly. Need to go pickup some paint, brushes, sandpaper and real resin. Total cost is $0 as so far I've just been using crap I had lying around. The epoxy is just too viscous to capture some of the detail, and does not sand that well. The first mold has some serious flaws, but seems to be holding up pretty well surprisingly though. Still this is mostly just for fun and is my first time casting anything. I think it may be time to try the 120Y emblem.

17939799.jpg

I still need to figure out something with the fender gap on the front wheel though. With the B210 struts the gap was <1 inch, but with the 280zx struts the gap is >2 inches. The 280zx strut however is shorter about 2 inches overall (I need to find the picture I took for this) but the new strut cartridge definitely seems to raise it more. I'm running the 280zx strut, with B210 strut cup, with cut B210 springs cut to ~12 inches or about the same unloaded height as the 280zx stock spring. Front tires are 175/65/r14 rear are 185/70r14. The ride is pretty decent right now, I'm just not a big fan of the gap.

On mine, I cut the springs a lot shorter than that. I cut it just short enough that it can be put together without a spring compressor. That gets you this:

normal_trippy_002.JPG

With your tires being a tad taller than stock (and taller than mine), you might want to not cut quite as far as I did though.

On mine, I cut the springs a lot shorter than that. I cut it just short enough that it can be put together without a spring compressor. That gets you this:

normal_trippy_002.JPG

With your tires being a tad taller than stock (and taller than mine), you might want to not cut quite as far as I did though.

I love the ride height on that car. I've decided on cutting the spring. I pulled the front wheel and I've got 8 coils total on the front springs. I'll probably pull the struts and cut say 1 coil off to start with. I've got a full spare set of complete B210 struts, and a stripped set of struts with coilovers and new strut cartridges so no worries if I cut too short.

For the curious the biggest tire possible on the front, even with 280zx struts, is approx a 185/70/R14 (~24.2 in diameter) and it only barely misses the inner foot well (~1/4 inch). Would probably rub at full lock and full bump, which is what I need to get into my driveway unfortunately. The 175/65/r14 (23.0 in diameter) fits nicely with no rubbing so I'll keep that size, which means cutting the spring.

I do have some 15in American eagle (?) spectrums which I test fit, nice and fat but I wish they were in a slightly better offset, as is I would need longer studs and flares. Maybe down the road.

7e526493.jpg

I love the ride height on that car. I've decided on cutting the spring. I pulled the front wheel and I've got 8 coils total on the front springs. I'll probably pull the struts and cut say 1 coil off to start with...

Never a bad idea to cut a little at a time. You can always cut more, but never less. ;)

I think mine has 6-7 coils, but I can double check that if need be. Pretty sure I cut 2.5 coils off the B210 spring to get there.

Just needs final cleanup and paint. Only ended up using an ounce of resin to make also. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the quart :devil:

3c500c80.jpg

So how do you get the aftermarket front valence? Got a 74 B210 coupe, and want the front scoop....

I think Datsunfreak said he bought that off Ebay a long time ago.

New goodies came today:

This thing is freaking gigantic btw:

8074a1c0.jpg

And got this made with a coupon from snapfish, print quality is only ok, but it was only $7:

cc8be46d.jpge5668482.jpg

Just needs final cleanup and paint. Only ended up using an ounce of resin to make also. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the quart :devil:

Make some for the rest of us. :cool:

I think Datsunfreak said he bought that off Ebay a long time ago.

Yes sir. About 10 years ago. No idea who made it, sadly... :huh:

Tried some water based acrylics, kinda meh, but I totally suck at hand painting anyway. I just don't like the flow on the acrylics. The chrome is a chrome spray paint, that actually turns out pretty good, but is not as durable as I would like. I might need to clear coat these.

I'll pickup some model paints and go at it again with a fresh casting. Even though it looks like the original has black on the center of the 0 I think I will leave that off as it looks better without it.

Edit: actually there appears to be a couple of different variants of this badge the one with the "skinner" letters does not have black in the 0 or in the groove of the circular part.

For the final ones I'll probably remold the original again, as there are still a couple of annoying minor defects in the mold.

So current version:

411b3697.jpg

Edited by Dguy210

Make some for the rest of us. :cool:

Yes sir. About 10 years ago. No idea who made it, sadly... :huh:

If I get a super clean mold I might make a few extra, but probably wouldn't do finish painting as so far that kinda sucks. However, they only run about $35 off ebay anyways in really good condition, so I'm not sure how sensible it was to make these anyway, has been fun though.

I totally want one of those front spoilers too. I should just get the golf large duckbill. Have you thought of getting them reproduced in fiberglass?

Also unfortunately it ended up being a no-go on the front bumper <_<. I'm still not sure if I should be upset or proud of the wife because she only wanted to get the NOS one, instead of the used one (the price on the NOS had gone way up from last time ~200$). Talking to her today she told me oh yeah he had used ones for ~$100 but I figured you would want the NOS instead. So looks like I will need to wait again. She did bring this back for me so she gets somewhat forgiven.:lol:

e09ca9c3.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I totally want one of those front spoilers too. I should just get the golf large duckbill.

The duckbill spoilers fit pretty darn good, are hell of cheap, and are super durable.

Fiberglass takes one hit, and one hit only. The hard plastic/urethane duckbill can take lots of abuse. B)

Have you thought of getting them reproduced in fiberglass?

I have, but the fit is not quite good enough. And after seeing what it would cost, I just don't know how many $180-200 spoilers I can sell... :P

I have a 1200 front spoiler from Classic Datsun that I can test fit on my buddy's B210 this weekend and see if it can work? At least that one is readily available...

My 1200 is so low that I am actually leaning towards using a duckbill on it, now... :P

Some new shoes.

Definite improvement. :thumbup:

The duckbill spoilers fit pretty darn good, are hell of cheap, and are super durable.

Fiberglass takes one hit, and one hit only. The hard plastic/urethane duckbill can take lots of abuse. B)

Definite improvement. :thumbup:

That's a very good point, I didn't even think about the durability issue.

I'm not sure how a duckbill will look under the larger bumper, I have them pulled in a bit from stock but it may just not look right. I might wait on the duckbill until I can replace the front bumper, but I'm probably just being a cheapskate.

I'm very happy with the wheels, the front are 205/55R15 +10 offset which calculates out to 23.9 in diameter. They just barely fit, and will just barely touch the footwell at full lock and full dip. I also ended up chopping out one coil, so it's got ~<2 inches of clearance or so to the fender lip. I still need to touchup/repaint one wheel though, I have 3 gold and one black (on the passenger side in the rear).

Hopefully before Canby (work depending) I'd like to change out the fubar'd driver's side fender, which has the classical "leaned on dent" in the middle of the fender, and do some wet sanding.

I'm a little irritated to find out the paint I used is 1) no longer available cheaply (has doubled in price), and 2) after I did some touchup has evidently been reformulated to a slightly different color since last year :sneaky:. This is not sun fading since I garage the car. On the plus, for spray paint the stuff is damn durable (Krylon Camo Olive), and matches the original color pretty close.

Also I need to finish this up:

613e169a.jpg

Chin Spoiler, I saw one on a mid-70s VW Rabbit that was up here in Tucson from Mexico. The owner actually makes those out of plastic. He qouted me about $30 for one, but said it might go $50.00. Web Site from his business card is listed below, but I do not see the chin spoilers on the site.

http://www.torqueautoperformance.mx/

Chin Spoiler, I saw one on a mid-70s VW Rabbit that was up here in Tucson from Mexico. The owner actually makes those out of plastic. He qouted me about $30 for one, but said it might go $50.00. Web Site from his business card is listed below, but I do not see the chin spoilers on the site.

http://www.torqueautoperformance.mx/

Available for $55 here plus $15 shipping. I really just wish someplace local had it where I could go in and buy it, requires a lot less explaining to the wife then when packages arrive :rolleyes:

I think Datsunfreak has pretty much talked me into ordering the damn thing anyways...

http://store.blackfo...k1deladusp.html

I think Datsunfreak has pretty much talked me into ordering the damn thing anyways...

http://store.blackfo...k1deladusp.html

To add further confusion, the CDM 1200 spoiler I bought for my 1200? The one I said I'd test fit on the B210 to see if it fits?

It not only fits, it is IDENTICAL to the one on my old blue B210. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not cheap, but it fits. B)

http://classicdatsun.com/new/1200_Parts.html

Found some centercaps I had that fit, I only have 3 (1 is not so great) so I'm going need to find another 1 or 2 somewhere, I believe these are off the B210 anyways. Also repainted the gray wheel, and the other on that side, and did a quicky polish and cleaning, with some very fine steal wool and some mothers.

0b4ec17a.jpg

268c4bfb.jpg

5055c619.jpg

I've had this NOS cover for a while, finally decided to put it on while I strip and repaint the other cover. Changed the gasket while I was at it, and put in new spark plugs.

Getting ready for Canby. :hyper:

IMG_7241.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg