SD 620's 74 4x4 620 K/C [very] short bed build

Today i was able to help my friend Greg [sD 620 here] do some work on his latest creation. Basically it's a 79 K/C cab mounted to a 74 reg. cab frame. The bed will be shortened in the front & rear. The truck was converted to a 4x4 years ago probably by a company here in San diego. Complete with transfer case & straight front axle w/ leafs... both axle's will be flipped for more lift down the road. The rear of the frame has been cut off & the gas tank has been mounted where the spare tire would usually go. We used the stock tank mounts & braced one of them with a bed mount that was trimmed off.

Bill working on the tank mounts.......

2mh7t35.jpg

5lubrb.jpg

greg & the rear part of the frame wire wheel'd & painted.......

308k6t0.jpg

ka02eo.jpg

next was to set the cab on to we know where to cut the bed........

mcc1ky.jpg

rbd6h4.jpg

This will be a semi fast build, we want it driveable by mid September. Oh, & here's Greg's wife's garden.........

2v80p4z.jpg

:thumbup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, i am looking forward to progress pics of this. I have wanted to a KC on standard frame with the bed shortened on both ends for a long time now.

Keep the progress pics coming.

For sure i will guys. We may get back to it Thursday measuring & cutting the bed. Oh BTW we may do a tilt bed on it just cause we can :rolleyes:

Basically it's a 79 K/C cab mounted to a 74 reg. cab frame

I did the same thing back in 92. Put KC on standard frame. But I just removed all the inches in the front of bed. still turned out great.

Keep us updated on this project please.

Larry

"I did the same thing back in 92. Put KC on standard frame. But I just removed all the inches in the front of bed. still turned out great."

Larry Id love to see pix of that build if you have any.

Good progress today indeed! After measuring & thinking about this step for awhile it was time to get goin. We will save the front 2 inches of the bed, cut out the desired gap in the bed that will allow the bed & frame mounts to line up. We almost mis-cut but we caught it before it was too late... :unsure:

Bill drilled out the spot welds here. When this is welded back to the bed NO welds will be seen. They will all be underneath the bed........

2aahoaq.jpg

to prevent bed warpage Bill welded on an old bed frame as supports......

303loxy.jpg

& welded the gate shut to ensure the bed will stay square when we make the cuts...

wswt36.jpg

did more measuring, marked the lines & then time to cut.......

iclg5j.jpg

315ldeh.jpg

we put the bed back on & BAM the bed & frame mounts line up perfect !!

2cgkkjt.jpg

the 2 inches that we'll trim off the removed bed piece will fill in this gap. There will still be a 3/4 inch gap between cab & bed which is factory.....

a41to6.jpg

& the gas tank clears the bed brace by 1/2 inch !!

2lcw94p.jpg

next step is to bolt the bed down, trim the 2 inch section we need & weld it back onto the bed. This feels like Monster garage ! :lol:

Larry Id love to see pix of that build if you have any.

I got one poor quality pic of the whole truck. Whats a digital camera, in 92. You guys got alot more technical than me and my dad. We just measured, made two cuts and then he made me weld it back together. We use a gas power cut off wheel. The ones that uses a chainsaw motor. Use oxy-acetylene for welds. Turned out nasty.lol

Heres the pic

857afd7ce439aa8941e5.jpg

Larry

TY ratrod. Gregs wife sent me more pix of the build......

me after we put the cab on...

8wwphu.jpg

Greg & myself pondering......

244pt0m.jpg

Greg & Bill.......

2j3pog9.jpg

29yfpyp.jpg

& the bed seams will be welded in.......

2rzqngh.jpg

Ill add that Greg found a windshield, the K/C rear int. panels & a set of bubble K/C windows @ the JY !

Niel- ya i kinda felt the same way but it's not my truck.... :rolleyes:

Steve- i know the front axle will be flipped [leafs on top] & he wants to weld on hoops up front & double shock it. We talked about making a shield for the gas tank already.

Adam- thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Bill & Greg have been gettin it done! They got the back section welded on, bed seams welded up & most of the welds dressed [grinded down]........

2dhty4k.jpg

346aw6d.jpg

svqjbl.jpg

rclb7n.jpg

Next time im there Ill be doing bodywork & i believe Gregs wife will be doing some sanding :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...