Atomatic to Manual swap

But the 3 speed BW was in the early 510

There were 3? different ones. BW35, Lechtworth (england plant)  and Muncie (US plant). All BW derivatives. Some had coolant lines, some didn't, some had a kick down linkage some were vacuum operated.

Starting with April '71 build dates Nissan introduced their own JATCO 3N71B home made 3 speed automatics to replace the BW-35s. In June of  '81 they switched to floor shifters, so for 3 months there were JATCO 3N71B column shifted cars. Very interesting as the BWs had shift linkage on the left sides and the JATCO was on the right. These cars must have had a special column shift to work them.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David already touched on it with one of my old photos but here is the full set.

On an automatic, the big brake pedal is really far to the left.

When you swap in the manual pedals, the brake pedal is much smaller but also moved farther to the right - crowding the gas pedal.

gallery_159_158_1483039779_9758.jpg

It may look like plenty of room but when when you lift your foot off the gas to hit the brake, you would brush the back of the brake pedal with the top of your shoe.  And depending on where your foot was on the brake, you could hit the gas a little while braking.  Not awesome.

At the time, not knowing what was going on, I thought maybe the pedals were different.  Nope.

gallery_159_158_1483039779_9755.jpg

Then I noticed that there was a big jog in the linkage rod for the manual car.

gallery_159_158_1483039779_9756.jpg

I also noticed that Nissan was nice enough to put three dimples in the floor pan with equal bolt pitch.  Center and left dimple are drilled out for the automatic pedal placement.  The center and right dimple are drilled out for the manual pedal placement. 

gallery_159_158_1483039779_9757.jpg

So swapping to the manual throttle linkage, and moving the gas pedal over one hole pitch, made everything perfect.

gallery_159_158_1483039779_9759.jpg

• Like 1