510 front brake vids

mklotz70

I shot these vids several weeks ago with plans to put them up on bluehandsvideo.com, but I haven't done anything with that site yet. I figured I can put them up there later, but for now, I'm just trying to get caught up with pics and vids from the last month or so.

Couple things....these vids are just for reference, you're responsible for checking the manuals for torque specs and proper replacement information. I'm putting these up as a reference so that maybe someone that's not quite sure if they can do it, will see that none of this is that difficult. smile.gif Professional mechanics aren't necessarily any brighter than the rest of us, they just have different training and experience. I'm hoping these vids simply encourage someone to try some of this work themselves smile.gif

Couple of notes:
When you squeeze the caliper in, the fluid goes back into the m/c. You can use lint free blue towels or cloth to "soak"(wick) the fluid out of the m/c reservoir. I twist a blue shop towel(paper kind available at the parts stores) up and stick the tip down into the m/c(with the strainer removed). Once I've wicked out 1/2 or most of the fluid, I then compress the calipers. Keep in mind, that as you compress one side, the other caliper may expand....so you don't want to pull the pads out of both sides at first. Do one side at a time. Pull the pads, compress one caliper, put the new pads in, then go do the other side. If you pull both sets of pads and then compress one caliper, you run the risk of exploding the other caliper.

I use a pry bar in the vid....if you're working with rotors or pads that you wish to reuse, use the C-clamp method with a scrap piece of steel across the piston. You don't want to mess up the rotor or the pad with the pry bar. The also make inexpensive compressors you can buy at the parts store if you don't have C-clamps.

I show using a rear lug bolt in the front hub. They are actually different lug bolts The length of the stud is longer on the rear ones because the drum ads to the length required. We were in a pinch since I had given away all my front hubs when I sold my wgn. You will want to get the proper lug. The method and process is what I'm trying to show. smile.gif

th_100_5631.jpg

th_100_5632.jpg

th_100_5633.jpg

th_100_5634.jpg

th_100_5635.jpg

th_100_5636.jpg

th_100_5637.jpg

th_100_5638.jpg

th_100_5639.jpg

th_100_5640.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You bet.

Vids may take a lot more time to load up, but not having to spend an hour or two typing up all the descriptions....way faster!

love having vids of stuff and always try and make a vid for a write up or have tons of pics just cuz Im a visual person and its easy if I can see whats going on

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I created the Bluehandsvideo.com site for just this type of thing, but I'm not a web designer and I haven't had time to do anything with it. I'd like to start putting this king of stuff on there instead of photobucket..... one of these days :)

• 11 months later...

I gotta say thanks for such great vids! My front lugs were not tightened properly at a local shop & snapped off my car at 60 mph! Luckily there was noone hurt or any major damage. These videos saved me some green. Great job!!!

• 2 years later...