75 620 Lil' Hustler

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more recent pics as of today. Got the new steering wheel in, ansa tip, headlights and clear markers for the front... Going old skewl mini with it, but not slammed, still gonna be smooth. Also got the Baby Turbo Mirrors and a Wink mirror with the louvered chrome front cover.

ratsun8.jpg

ratsun9.jpg

ratsun7.jpg

ratsun6.jpg

That's a gem bro. Welcome to Ratsun! You gonna paint it or just roll? How much you pay for it?

Gonna paint it Metallic Charcoal Grey. But gonna roll it with this paint till I get all the other work done with it. I paid 1200 for it. The engine has documented inframe rebuild, new clutch and brakes. Gonna get the Edelbrock Intake with a Weber on it for the fueling. Too much to really list. Next is rims and tires. :-)

Also went all LED for the markers, except the rears. Fronts have the dual socket lights, so I put White 19 LED bulbs for the marker side and Amber 19 LED for the turn side. Looks great at night. Now I am thinking of the clear side and rears that I seen elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks for the welcome and hope I can help in some way soon...

That's a good looking truck. Hope you get the top speed thing figured out. You'll be driving it all the time after that. :D

Are you gonna buff out the blue?

Can you measure your Lil Hustler sticker for me? From the front of the door to the firs L in Lil? :geek:

2eDeYe' date='10 July 2010 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1278812265' post='323896']

Can you measure your Lil Hustler sticker for me? From the front of the door to the firs L in Lil? :geek:

From the lowest part of the letter straight across to the edge of the door is 6-3/8" inches on the drivers side. let me know if you need more measurements...

Gonna get it painted Metallic Charcoal Grey when finished...

ratsun10.jpg

Same color as this truck for example

grey.jpg

Went to the wrecking yard today to pull a third member and found a few trinkets I have been looking for since I got the truck. Finding 620's around here is kinda hard, but somehow they had three of them at my nearest Pick'n'Pull, I was shocked at the vast quantity. Wow I was in heaven having three to pull crap off of... Anyways, I only went there to get the third member out of a 720. I only found three of them also and two of them had the 3.70 ratio and the other had a 3.55. Since the one I found first allready had one axle pulled, I chose the easiest of the two with 3.70. All the stuff I got was in near excellent to excellent condition. Arm Rest/Grab Handles were in perfect shape and still soft. The exterior door handle in excellent shape also. The center console has so gooey orange crap in the bottom pan and a few holes in the top, but can be cleaned, otherwise in perfect shape... Until next trip to pick n jerk....

ratsun11.jpg

ratsun12.jpg

When I went to remove the trim piece from the hood, all the bolts broke. :-( But I found another one in nice shape. Only thing is, I cant find the paint to paint it. So I stuck it back on unpainted, save for another day.

ratsun13.jpg

Also scored a 5 Speed Tranny, so that will go in a few weeks from now. Just need the three plugs along the side someone raped as you can see in the pic...

ratsun14.jpg

It has been a long time since I did the swap of a 4 to 5 speed L trans. Cant remember if its a direct switch or do I need to keep 4 speed stuff for the 5 speed? While I got it down, Im just going to put a new clutch and throwout in it for the heck of it. The 5 speed came from a 78 620.

From the lowest part of the letter straight across to the edge of the door is 6-3/8" inches on the drivers side.

Like so?

LilHustler2.jpg

I'd love a hi res shot dead on. Just wanna refine my version :D

LilHustler.jpg

That console is nice, uncut other than those mounting? holes. Good score ;)

2eDeYe' date='12 July 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1278978271' post='324541']

Like so?

LilHustler2.jpg

I'd love a hi res shot dead on. Just wanna refine my version :D

Exactly. Might be able to expand the photo by clicking on it. It was taken with a 12 megapixel camera and only cropped a little bit. If not I can retake at your request and attach it to an e-mail. PM me if you need...

Been kinda sickly today. Had to go get the other things I hid at the wrecking yard, fortunately I did all the hard work yesterday and hid what I had in a ford maverick so I know noone would touch them. Went back today and they were still there untouched... Got the third member swapped out today with the 3.70 gears and a major improvement on speed. I can now cruise 25mph down my street in second instead of third and 50 is easy in third. In 4th I was able to reach 70 with no problem and still had lots more power to go even faster. Excellent acceleration of the line and on the freeway. Now to get the plugs for the 5 speed and get that in in a few weeks. Also need to find the speedo cog for these gears or the 3.889's so my speedo will at least be close... speeds were tested using my GPS which is fairly accurate within a MPH or two.

Love the truck. Buff that paint out & let er shine! :D My truck has rust in the same spot on the tailgate. Been looking 4 a sticker to put over the holes :blink: I really like the exhaust tip coming out the back. Always wanted 1 but my exhaust guy never lets me do it :angry:

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted. Havent really done anything to the truck since the last post, so nothing changed. I have accquired some more stuff however. Will be doing a full 360 drop of about 2 inches to the suspension this weekend if the rain holds off. Also picked up some old school aluminum wheels and new tires, will be putting them on this weekend also. Will post back picks if all goes well.

The damn carb on this thing is aggravating. Just when I think all is good for a couple days, the damn thing goes out of whack. I had the choke set where it started up great and slowly opened as the engine got warmer as it should. Well now after a few days, the damn thing floods after the first few revolutions of running in the cold and then clears up gradually, but about mid warmth the engine starts to die and wont idle till its fully warm. Once fully warm all is good.

Also, Curious about this matchbox dizzy? Point me to the right post describing this and the swap please?

Hopefully if all goes well with lowering the truck, I might start doing the Self Regulated Alternator swap. I had found at one time when I owned my 78 years ago that there was a direct drop in replacement chevy alternator that will go right in with no hard mods (other than the wiring). Anyone heard of this?

Oh well, getting late and got to go to work tomorrow. Good night all and hope to be posting when lowering is done....

Yeah the search function actually brings up anything and everything with the search words, actually easier to browse through the forums topics than it is to search. Thanks though... Found what I was looking for and book marked them for ease.

Ok, got it all done now! Got the new tires and new/used rims on, then lowered. Let me know what ya think...

This is what it looked like with the rims and tires before I lowered it....

ratsun20.jpg

ratsun19.jpg

ratsun17.jpg

And this is what it looks like after! :cool:

ratsun21.jpg

Got the tires for $170 installed, Rims Only for $65 set and the Center Caps with Knock Offs I got from http://www.spinnercenter.com

cant remember what I paid for them, but it was close to $65 for the entire package. Lug nuts with locking ones was a total of $60.

So for $360 I got a nice deal. I couldnt buy the rims new for that...

I lowered the front by re-indexing the torsion bars, damn was that simple and was done in an hour. The rear was the pain in the ass because I dont have air tools here and took forever tighteneing the new U-Bolt up. 2.5" drop in front and 2" in rear.

• 2 months later...

I am still looking for the direct drop in GM alternator swap without bracket changes. I cant find the thread anywhere on the net and i have done it years ago on my 78.

If anyones finds it please post here.

Since i couldnt find the other thread and my stock alternator took a crap thursday, i had to act fast to get this truck back on the road. I decided to do the Saturn swap!

It was all fairly simple to do but the only thing i found questioned on this swap that went unanswered was, can i remove the regulator completely.

There were six wires going to my regulator. I spliced the ones together as stated in the swap after everything else was done. Left the two attached to the regulator and did a voltage test. I got 14.13 volts at all rpms. With the two remaining wires clip off the regulator i got no change in voltage. So i am assuming at this point that it is safe to completely remove the regulator and toss it in the trash or donate it to the forum for parts.

With all headlights on, wipers on and heater on my voltage only dropped .21 volts at idle and rose to 14.08 at slightly higher than normal idle.

So i would say it was a success! But definately easier removing the lower radiator hose and i had to use a belt that was a half inch larger to finish it.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Got a question i will post below.

UPDATE: Forgot to post this a couple weeks after the saturn swap I did. Upgrade your fuseable link. Mine threw smoke everwhere and sounded like bacon frying. I used a braided cable commonly used for stereo amp wiring with a blade type 30 amp fuse. It all works great now...

What is the easiest way to knock the dents back out of the roof at the top by the back window? I tried pulling them out with air suction but they just pop back in at the slightest touch. Looking for a no filler or minimal filler fix...

Well I just picked up another gem. This ones a 79 KC thats going to be stored for a while. Nothing will be done to it until I get my house. But thought I would share the begining thought of a project 2... The previous owner paid more for the rims alone than I bought the whole truck for! Got the truck for $600....

ratsun17-1.jpg

I see where this works on some and not on others. Most of the ones I seen that didnt work were major wrinkled dents. The ones that did work seemed to one that could be easily popped back out if access was available behind, so I am thinking this works for minor dents without having to remove panels etc... to pop back out...