DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0187.jpg

As you can see, the project changes as it goes along, I added just 14" this time so I could set the cab on a 1982 datsun 720 kingcab diesel frame, with the chevy luv stepside box, the power comes from a nissan SD25 diesel engine that I found under a tarp along side this guys house, he sold the engine and transmission for $350. It even started on the first try on my garage floor. The 720 frame came with some good features such as power steering and disc brakes, as this is going to be a 4X4, it will have a toyota front axle with disc brakes. It also has power brakes which took some time to fabricate, and they work great, and can be done to any 521. This is the first time I have posted pictures to the forum, with out the help of mklotz70 it would not have happened.

DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0239.jpg

DSCN0240.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

DSCN0242.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

This is how far I am along now, I am waiting to get it back, the body work is almost done, and will be painted soon, then I get to start putting it togeather, remove the jeep axle and replace it with the toyota axle(6 lug), then I must decide what kind of taillights to put on it, what do you guys think of the 1947-53 chevy truck taillights? I also need mirrors, I have a couple types, but unsure yet. I am getting ahead of myself, I have hardly started on the interior, and still have to figure out if the rear windows are going to go up and down or not.

just wow.

i look at all these project threads and wonder if you guys are professional welders, auto body guys, painters, fabricators, how do you guys know how to do this amazing stuff?

i can't even figure out how to fix all the mirror holes in my doors.

2eDeYe' date='10 July 2010 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1278783077' post='323752']

Excellent! :cool:

Any shots of the suspension work in the front?

The truck is not here right now, when I get it back I will take a few pictures, it is a 1982 diesel 720 frame which has these tangs that stick down for shipping or something like that, I used them for a base, and added braces from there, the back you have to see. I used international scout front leaf springs, they were the shortest ones I could find at the wrecking yard.

Freaking awesome man! I love it!

Windows=up and down....for sure!

Toyota FJ60 front door window rubber fits into the channel of the 521 doors perfectly...BAM! Cut to fit and roll it baby!! :D

The actuator arms are easily cut to fit the tiny space....the mounting of the window crank will matter a lot...after seeing what you have already done, im pretty sure that...you can handle it :cool:

Good choice on the bed too....I usually hate step sides and love the look of the 521 bed hooks....but you really pulled it together on this one...it looks great man!

What are your thoughts on a color?

The truck is going to be stock 520 red, I have a red solid metal 520 dash in it, I beleave it is a stock color, and the body and paint man is going to match it. The rear windows are going to go up and down eventually, and it will be electricly, there is this kit that a guy sells at the portland swap meet that I am going to buy, till then, I think I will have the windows made to fit the channel and bind them in place temporarly. I am hoping to get it back in time to take it to the blue lake meet in portland/gresham, oregon. I am going to make one more kingcab 521, I have the trucks already, this one is going to have the stock bench seat in the back with buckets in the front. I am trying to figure out how to make the drivers side door work with a 3/4 suicide door for rear access, I am hoping with no post, the pas. side is probibly not going to have a door. I am using a 1980 datsun 4X4 frame and drive train I think, this time the frame will have to be extended, I also have another stepside box for it too. There are a couple of pictures that were posted at the start of this thread that show a longer kinkcab, but I cut it back to a 14" extention to make it fit a 720 kingcab diesel frame, but that is next winters project. I still have a lot to do on this project.

How about a pair of these custom power window switches & power windows.

power_window_-_handle_switch_w_box.jpg

G.E.M. STREET ROD PRODUCTS

http://gemstreetrods.com/Power%20Windows.htm

"AUTOLOC" Power Window Crank Switch

These switches allow you to operate your power windows with your vehicles original window crank handle. Thus, eliminating the need to mount aftermarket switches in your door panels.

Features:

Dead lock stop & return-to-center spring design (will not break).

15 Degree up or down activates the switch.

Works with all power window systems.

Smallest system on the market.

Ultra thin design.

Made in the USA.

Billet aluminum.

Limited lifetime warranty.

Power Window Crank Switches

GM 1950 & UP Part # EWS1 $79.95 each

Early GM, Ford & Other Part # EWS2 $79.95

1931-1938 Chevy Part # EWS3 $79.95

1939-1948 Chevy Part # EWS4 $79.95

Early Mopar & Other Part # EWS5 $79.95

Orders or Information - Call 1-800-588-2358

How about a pair of these custom power window switches & power windows.

power_window_-_handle_switch_w_box.jpg

G.E.M. STREET ROD PRODUCTS

http://gemstreetrods...r%20Windows.htm

"AUTOLOC" Power Window Crank Switch

These switches allow you to operate your power windows with your vehicles original window crank handle. Thus, eliminating the need to mount aftermarket switches in your door panels.

Features:

Dead lock stop & return-to-center spring design (will not break).

15 Degree up or down activates the switch.

Works with all power window systems.

Smallest system on the market.

Ultra thin design.

Made in the USA.

Billet aluminum.

Limited lifetime warranty.

Power Window Crank Switches

GM 1950 & UP Part # EWS1 $79.95 each

Early GM, Ford & Other Part # EWS2 $79.95

1931-1938 Chevy Part # EWS3 $79.95

1939-1948 Chevy Part # EWS4 $79.95

Early Mopar & Other Part # EWS5 $79.95

Orders or Information - Call 1-800-588-2358

I'll keep this in mind, remember that these windows are in the back, I am going to use a switch in the dash or connected to the bottom of the dash for each window.

Just looking at the retro look. If you are looking for switches to control all 4 windows from 1 location check out the Saturns SL1 & SL2 4 doors. The window switches are in the center console behind the shifter. Easy to get from JY. Love the 521 Kingcab.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I talked to the bodyman/painter yesterday to buy the paint(starving artist :unsure:) and today to see if he needed help moving the box back, and he told me it was already moved back(I wanted to see it:( ), He told me the door jams, back, and top were going to be painted tomarrow morning, :) and the rest on saterday.:) I was told I can pick up the truck sunday morning.:lol: I have not seen it in a while,:( and am calmly waiting to see what it looks like,:unsure: it turns out it is going to be the same red as my red 720 datsun dually.:) I like that color, some of my friends tell me that there are other colors than red,:( and I tell them there right, theres candyapple red, fire engine red, and blood red. :D When I get it sunday, i'll post some pictures.:) I am hoping to drive it to the bluelake meet, but it will be far from done.:( If I have to I will trailer it there, :( Until sunday, i'll just imagine what it is going to look like. :rolleyes: wayno