L4N71B Transmission into Early 10-Series Car

zerow

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks for quick response about the od switch wiring. I think i'll just leave it unwired, can't really see why i'd want to turn off 4th gear? I'll go back to PNP and double check for the crank spacer, but I know I grabbed the back of the crankshaft and nothing was there. Nothing like rolling around in the toxic sludge during the rainy season......

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugh! Tried shoehorning in the trans today.......like putting 10lbs of rocking horse crap in a 5lb sack. If the torsion bar crossmember wasn't there it would be no problem. Just not enough real estate under the little truck. I figured i'd either have to remove the flexplate to get trans to slip up past bottom of engine, then bolt it back on between what little to no room there is between engine and trans, or break engine loose and pull it forward. Then bolt everything back together to see if there is enough room to fabricate a new crossmember. This is just my luck lately! Ha ha! Maybe i'll just settle for a 5-speed......really liked the overdrive ratio in 4th gear compared to the manual though...... Looks like it's time to sell trans to recoop some of my $$$

• Like 1

No problem. Put the trans in separately from the engine, like the factory service manual shows.

(Wow...I need to check my threads more often...)

Yes. Exactly. I installed my transmission separate from the engine. Up and into the tunnel, then aligned everything. Verify you are centered between the frame rails. I found mine is between 7-9mm off center, and it affects the driveshaft angle (I would find this out the hard way...and I am still driving it). I just have vibration at 55mph to 60 mph...just go faster to overcome that, I guess...

• Like 1

Maybe i'm being misunderstood. I tried installing the trans separately. The engine is still sitting in engine bay though. The 4spd auto is so much larger towards the rear of the trans versus the 3spd auto, that it runs out of real estate when going into the trans tunnel. Of course the trans tunnel cover is removed to allow more room. With the angle you have to put the trans at to try and slip in there, the tail shaft is protruding through the opening in the floor and the trans body is actually wedged against the floor and crossmember. Has anyone actually put one of these in a 620 before or am I in uncharted territory? I might give it one more shot to see if it can be squeezed between the engine and crossmember.

• Like 1

Getting a 4 or 5 speed out of a '74 and up 620 is very difficult but it can be done, just barely. The automatic L4N71B is about an inch longer than the 3N71B so this isn't good. Try removing the exhaust pipe from the manifold and drop it down.

• Like 1

Maybe i'm being misunderstood. I tried installing the trans separately. The engine is still sitting in engine bay though. The 4spd auto is so much larger towards the rear of the trans versus the 3spd auto, that it runs out of real estate when going into the trans tunnel. Of course the trans tunnel cover is removed to allow more room. With the angle you have to put the trans at to try and slip in there, the tail shaft is protruding through the opening in the floor and the trans body is actually wedged against the floor and crossmember. Has anyone actually put one of these in a 620 before or am I in uncharted territory? I might give it one more shot to see if it can be squeezed between the engine and crossmember.

You are in uncharted territory my friend...

• Like 1

Woo-hoo! Uncharted territory...I seem to have a way of doing this to myself especially on my own cars. I'll try one more time and give an update after the weekend. For reference, I do have the exhaust unbolted and the torsion bars removed for all the clearance I can get.

• Like 1

Well.....gave it the ol' college try again today. I even broke out the Ford tools....I have multiple sizes up to 10lbs. I removed the flexplate from the back of the engine and still could not get the trans to clear the bottom of the engine. The engine needs to be broke loose at the engine mounts and either moved up or forward to just get the trans in. And this would need to be repeated every single time the trans would need to be removed or installed....which would be multiple times for the initial swap. I was hoping for a simpler process as i'm trying to get it back on the road quickly. If the cab was off of the frame would be much easier. But that's not the case for me. So, i'll just have to settle for a 5 speed. That....I know will be a quick swap. Anyone need an AOD trans? LOL!

• Like 1

transautotopL4N71B84Maximagoonand3N.jpg

3N71B at bottom

The length difference is about an inch but the main body of the 3N71B is moved to the rear by the 4th gear section width of the L4N71B above it (between the bell and the main body, top of picture)

The L4N71B has a shorter tail but the thicker main body is back there. No doubt that there is clearance issues. A truck is even worse with a welded in cross member for the torsion bars and tranny mount on it.

If you've gotten this far, why not cut the Trans crossmember and bolt it back in with 4 large bolts

This is better than it sounds if you cut as far right and left as possible and weld something in place to support it then some bolts. This isn't just a tranny mount... it has to hold up the torsion bars too!!!

I still think the floor will need a massage for clearance..

• Like 1