L4N71B Transmission into Early 10-Series Car

zerow

I completely understand wanting to keep it returnable to stock. Would the L3 tail stock swap over? Or had you considered that..

No. The rear of the L4 is (from what I understand) where the overdrive is located. And, if you look at the pics that Datzenmike has posted, the mounting is more in the mid section of the 3N71B, where the same mounting "ears" are at the rear of the L4N71B. I have been having fits with this install, but I do want to be the first '73 610 sedan with the option installed. Mine came with auto stock, so keeping up with the original theme is what I'm going for.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to keep my 610 in original shape, as well as reduce the temptation to drive in a manner that could wind me up in a ditch. I'm keeping the Auto as well, but I'd like more out of it. Just a coincidence that you two happened to be doing this at the very same time. Lucky me :)

As far as the OD is concerned, isn't it in that front section of the transmission? The one that goes between the bellhousing and main body? I wouldn't think the tail stock would house the OD.. I could be wrong, though. I'm sure that you've researched this quite a bit more than I have..

It is in the front portion of the transmission. Correct. But the tailshaft is L4N71B specific. Observe:

transautotopL4N71B84Maximagoonand3N.jpg

(Thanks to Datzenmike) The 3N71B is in the bottom of this pic.

True, but that L3 is from a pickup. The 510's have a shorter tailstock... looks very similar to the L4. I'll go take a picture of one.

That L3 is the same as mine from the 610. You know of a shorter L3? Looking forward to the pics!

Yes. The L3 that comes out of the 510 has a stubby tail shaft. I went out and took some pics, and I'm waiting for them to reach photobucket :rolleyes: , but it looks like while they are similar, they are not the same. The 510 L3 has 4 bolts that hold it to the main body, whereas the L4 looks to have atleast 6 bolts. I think, however, that the 510 L3 mount/crossmember may work with the L4 tail stock. I'll put up pics as soon as they arrive to my photobucket account.

Yes. The L3 that comes out of the 510 has a stubby tail shaft. I went out and took some pics, and I'm waiting for them to reach photobucket :rolleyes: , but it looks like while they are similar, they are not the same. The 510 L3 has 4 bolts that hold it to the main body, whereas the L4 looks to have atleast 6 bolts. I think, however, that the 510 L3 mount/crossmember may work with the L4 tail stock. I'll put up pics as soon as they arrive to my photobucket account.

Please do! Which 510? The PL510 or the HL510?

I was wondering if the shorter output spline from a PL 510 would swap into the L4N71B to get rid of the 26 spline one. I pondered that on the realm.

I have a picture of a shorty 3N71B but it's for a 210 or something. Put an L bell on it and it would fit the 510.:

3N71BDat1200.jpg

transauto4spdL4N71BMaxima.jpg

Bet it's the same length. Bet also that the output spline would swap.

BTW here is a pix of the PL510 auto but it doesn't show much.

trans3N71BLseriesshort72510.jpg

I want to know more about the mount on the first pic.

210, you say? It appears that the 210 mount is the style similar to the 610 mount. Saddle style. If the bolts are the same distance apart like the 3N71B, then it is a viable alternative, only if you obtain the tail section of the L3N71B. I don't mind cannibalizing transmissions, but I'm looking at cost for cost items. I can't go to every yard in the hopes of finding this unicorn when I have the L4N71B right here. I need my adaptor...

Ok, so my pics FINALLY came up on photobucket... :rolleyes:

Here's the tail stock for the L4, which we're all familiar with:

Photo652.jpg

Here's the PL510 tail stock(L3):

Photo651.jpg

These are not interchangeable, apparently. The L3 uses 4 bolts to hold it to the main body, and the L4 uses more.. 8+ I think? I'm still not sure if the PL510 L3 Mount can or cannot be utilized for our purposes..

No interchange on the tailstock for sure. It appears that the mount on the 3N71B is wider (from bolt to bolt) than the L4N71B. This is where my adaptor is going to take up the slack. Pics as soon as it is ready. Gotta get this joker. And soon... :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sooo....

... what ever happened with this?

Zerow has been patiently sourcing parts...

So, now I need to ask others if this list seems correct (I have slept since I pulled this transmission from the yard...these are the parts I have):

Rear Main Engine Seal

Engine to transmission Mating Plate (anyone ever seen a two-piece variety...?? I have one apparently)

End of Crankshaft Adapter for Automatic Flexplate (remove pilot bushing prior to install!)

L4N71B Flexplate with bolts

Front main transmission seal

Torque Converter for L4N71B with bolts to flexplate

Vacuum Hard Lines

Transmission coolant lines to front of car

Associated hardware to bolt engine to transmission

Am I missing anything...??? :confused:

You do not have to remove the pilot bushing.

Tranny interlock and reverse lights.

The floor shift rod will need to be shortened as the main case sits back about 6? inches.

I am making a harness to mate the stock wiring to the L4N71B OD switch (just needs relayed 12 volts for cancel of the OD...), interlock and reverse light switch.

The floor shift rod has to be shortened? I have both the 3N71B and the L4N71B rods - I was just going to use the L4N71B rod...

What what WHAT? An update? :D

Yes, Micro, finally an update...School has been keeping this man down. I felt real damn good after the instructor (its an algebra class...) puts this huge ass formula on the board. And with a smug look on his face tells us that the first part of the equation is for the weekly quizzes and the second is for homework. This is your grade at the moment...Plug in your test and homework scores...I have a 95.86 out of 100 in the class...Woot!

I have a 3 speed auto you can have for parts or whatever.

Thanks Arias! I have a three speed with some hardware left on it still. If I need anything, I will hit you up!

• 4 months later...

Okay...yes, I know, I know...an update...

The transmission and driveline are IN. It was the only way she would be running right now. Now, I have some other hurdles to overcome...like the fact that it is propped up on the rear mount with 36 (or so) fender washers and two bolts...

Now, What I need is a wiring diagram from an 83 Maxima service manual...namely the color codes for the wires at the transmission. It seems to me that the kickdown solenoid wires through the OD cancel solenoid for whatever reason...please correct me if I am wrong...

(What was the word I have to put into a post to get datzenmike's attention...?)

I will post ALL of the pictures from the installation after my visit to the machine shop for the new spacers.

Spoiler Alert: The driveshaft fit perfectly!