1969 SSS Rusty Bird Coupe

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On with the progress. This little birdy needed some electrical attention. Who better for the job, Wagon Jon.

Rusty Bird is a 69 but when we bought it, it had a 71 SSS dash. Nothing worked and with the rebuilt engine, I want to see the temp and oil press along with the fuel level.

On with ripping the complete wiring out.

lasvagas11_2198.jpg

lasvagas11_2197.jpg

lasvagas11_2202.jpg

lasvagas11_2200.jpg

lasvagas11_2201.jpg

lasvagas11_2203.jpg

lasvagas11_2199.jpg

And a cool new shift knob

lasvagas11_2206.jpg

So it took me four days to figure out all the wiring woes on this here coupe! The first two days were fixing all the wires the installer of the SR20 did, and two days to figure out the blinkers, all the gauges, and the tail lights. It is now street worthy. :D James is happier now.

No special wiring kit. Just had to track down each wire to find where it went and where it should go. In the beginning I thought cool a day or so, but in the end it was wow. I don't have patients for these things, if Jon didn't do it the car would have just set. Other then nothing working the car is sweet to drive, runs great and handles better, and has a nice rough look about it.

Thanks Jon

No special wiring kit. Just had to track down each wire to find where it went and where it should go. In the beginning I thought cool a day or so, but in the end it was wow. I don't have patients for these things, if Jon didn't do it the car would have just set. Other then nothing working the car is sweet to drive, runs great and handles better, and has a nice rough look about it.

Thanks Jon

I just take credit for the wiring fix, nothing else. ;)

• 1 month later...

After the rusty bird sat in my glass guys shop for awhile, we finally got it back. He decided to use Virginia's front windshield as a temp-let. We also decided to replace her windshield at the same time, so no more tempered glass front windows

lasvagas11_2811.jpg

lasvagas11_2812.jpg

lasvagas11_2875.jpg

The 510 front glass is just a hair to big, so a box of sanding belts and some patients.

You get a fresh front window.

We've been wanting something different for rusty bird for awhile. So Vic had the day off and here we go.

lasvagas11_2964.jpg

lasvagas11_2965.jpg

lasvagas11_2966.jpg

lasvagas11_2968.jpg

lasvagas11_2970.jpg

lasvagas11_2972.jpg

lasvagas11_2971.jpg

lasvagas11_2975.jpg

lasvagas11_2979.jpg

lasvagas11_2981.jpg

lasvagas11_2982.jpg

lasvagas11_2983.jpg

Once completely finished it will b bare metal, etched, and cleared. The etching creates a gold and blue with bare metal look. Also give the metal a coating that help prevents rust. Something clear does not have. Clear does not help against rust. So we will see if this last or not.

These are other panels i did years ago with metal etch

D12-1.jpg