Whats that rattling noise?

djmoreron

newbie question again...

truck just started making a rattling noise recently. kinda sounds like a loose bike chain. its intermittent... happens when the truck idles or when i let off the gas while driving. sounds like its coming from underneath near the front of the engine. my guess would be timing chain?? :confused: truck drives completly normal. no loss of power or anything. any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The chain tensioner uses oil pressure from behind, (plus a spring) to push against the chain and keep it tight. At idle, the oil pressure will be much lower so maybe that's it. The chain guide may also be worn.

Beware, a very loose chain could rub a hole in the chain cover, not to mention the aluminum filings going through the oil pump on their way to the filter.

That sounds like what happened to my 620 recently.It would intermittently rattle when lettlng off the gas.Turned out to be a broken timing chain guide.Figured that out after I pulled it and threw in a different l18.Change your oil and inspect for small plastic particles.Take off the valve cover and inspect the guides from there.

The newer engines are notorious for timing chain going bad before 100,000 miles. The L-series is longer lasting.

But anyways it is easy to check, just pull the rocker cover and see how much slack is in it.

Or try the turn engine-back and see how far it moves before distributor rotor moves.

If you think about it, chain slop won't affect the dizzy, it's driven by a worm gear on the crank.

Gotta love the double row L and Z timing chains. Pity the KA24s with the single chain.

Even this angle you can see how flat the single chain KA sprocket is. Looks like the L and Z would interchange. How do you adjust for chain stretch on a KA anyway???

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/CopyofIMG_0433.jpg[/img]"]CopyofIMG_0433.jpg