Group by for 620 Clear Lenses

I was having a hard time finding side markers in "mint" shape for my 620 restoration so I decided to have some lenses made. There is a company in BC that can reproduce through a mold and casting system any lense for any make and model. They can replicate the thatching and diffuser pattern to exact OEM specs. I just had some clear side marker's made for my truck and inquired about doing a set of tails. The tails are a bit spendy but they will provide a significant discount if we can get enough interest to do a group buy. I haven't talked exact numbers yet but wanted to see who is interested in the 620 tail lenses before we go down that road and talk numbers.

Here is a pic of my sidemarkers: These cost me $100 plus shipping and fit the OEM gaskets and trim bezels exactly. I was on my own with that cost but again, a group buy can potentially decrease this number.

620sides11.jpg

620sides21.jpg

The company can make reproductions for all makes and models so if enough people are interested I am sure there will be pockets of folks for the Z's, 620's, 510's etc.

Admins: This was the best place to post to cater to the entire community.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing a frame off restoration so these are completely custom. My front turns, side markers, and tails will all be clear and I have the colored LED bulbs ready to install. Yes, stock is yellow in front and red in back. The nice thing about these is they retain the look and fitment of the OEM markers just minus the color. You can use your existing gaskets/bezels, screws etc. In the mind frame of a full restoration $100 bucks is cheap and I am sure a group interest would drop this price. I am the first guy to have this company make 620 lenses.

good luck dude if it aint free with free shipping no one wants it

Custom peices cost money. There is no getting around that. I have nothing to gain. I am just sharing my restoration adventure.

The fronts I purchased off EBAY and those clear lenses are really nice. Thats the extent of purchasing clear lenses for your 620. The Z's have clear markers and you can get them from Too Intense Restoration but I have not seen anything for 510's or other models. I had no choice but to make the markers and tails. Those who are intersted can reply. If not, that's cool too. Like I said, just giving people options.

when I asked $100 for all four I was asking you a ? are they $100 for all four or just one or what? do you get clear tails in that deal?

4 sidemarkers are $100 + shipping back and forth. Tails are not included. The molding and casting process is time consuming and materials are expensive. As he was explaining it to me, to make it cost effecitve (say for example chevelles or older GMC trucks) he makes 20+ molds because he knows there is a demand and he can turn a profit. When there is hardly any demand, the price reflects this. It is expensive to get these made but nice custom things usually are expensive right?

I haven't gotten a feel for what tails cost yet. We all know how this works. The more people that are serious about getting some sets made, the less expensive it becomes. I'll keep people posted.

Hey 79D50,

Those look nice. Have you inquired with the supplier who is making those for you if the material he makes it with is UV stable and won't cloud over in 6 months? I have experienced this with the lenses coming out of Taiwan and Singapore. I won't purchase lenses from overseas anymore because of this.

BTW, I have a set of clear lenses on my 620 that that molds were made by a toy maker friend of mine who is also into Datsuns. He ended up passing the molds along to Troy at Too Intense Restoration but as I understand, he never did anything with them...

Good luck to you. Lawrence.

Thanks for the reminder on the UV protectant. I will need to ask. Worst case scenario is applying a light coat of clear to both sides to prevent aging.

Let me know what some of you guys want to do and perhaps we can get some deals going here. I have ordered my tails already and payed more than necessary because he was relunctant to make them for just one guy.

I have a keen eye for detail and do not cut corners. I have ordered parts from all over the world for this restoration.

- Bankok

- China

- Japan

- Australia

- Germany

- Mexico

- Puerto Rico

and about 15 states. The most questionable parts come from overseas in Thailand and Bankok. The best comes from Australia, Germany and Puerto Rico. In the way of quality some parts are better than others and overall I am happy with everything. This guy has a quality product and is a straight shooter who communicates well. It has been enjoyable doing business with him.

Custom peices cost money. There is no getting around that. I have nothing to gain. I am just sharing my restoration adventure. The fronts I purchased off EBAY and those clear lenses are really nice. Thats the extent of purchasing clear lenses for your 620. The Z's have clear markers and you can get them from Too Intense Restoration but I have not seen anything for 510's or other models. I had no choice but to make the markers and tails. Those who are intersted can reply. If not, that's cool too. Like I said, just giving people options.

lol i was just yankin yer chain as datsun owners are cheap bastards!! lol but seriously re popping 720 clears would be cool again maybe do up some dome lights!

• 11 years later...