4G63 510

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

did you buy a 3 inch stainless kit? i like all the bends and everything and want to do my own? and what did it run you price wise for the whole kit ? thanks 

I got a kit from http://www.mandrelbends.com

I got an ultimate builder kit for all the tubing in 409 stainless. They don't seem to have that kit anymore. I still have a 180 degree bend and several bend slices as well as lots of short straight pieces. They didn't have the muffler I wanted when I ordered, so I just got one from Summit. If I don't like the muffler, that will be easier to change than other parts.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It's so close I can taste it.

D4449461-A847-4E14-80A1-3136301DFB9E.jpg

I got a locksmith to match the door key to the ignition so I only need to carry one and I won't get confused. It better be worth the $85 he charged me after I did all the work to remove the mechanism and bring it to him.

However, there are still a few small issues I'm sorting through. The wiring is a mess and I'm still sorting how things should flow. It should all work and run, but I will definitely be doing the wiring again at some point soon to clean things up and simplify further. I should be done with everything this weekend.

The only other thing keeping me from seeing if it will drive is the front brake lines. The banjo fittings keep leaking and I can't bleed the lines. I have some SS flex lines from eBay on right now and I'm thinking that's the issue. I've ordered some rubber lines and they should be here soon. Once it runs and I can safely take it up and down the street, I'll get it registered and spend all of my waking hours driving it and making it reliable.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I've been fighting a mess of wires trying to track down why it wouldn't start. Finally after offering a $100 reward, a friend stopped by to help out. Turns out I had a bad connector that tested good for continuity, but wasn't making good contact with the cam angle sensor. Now it makes great noises  :thumbup:

Next is to get it to idle. And then drive. And drive some more. And drive some more  :w00t:

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I put the motor back in temporarily. I still need to sort out the clutch and some other small items, but I couldn't resist putting it back in the car and getting it off the engine stand. It will also give me a chance to finish up some engine bay items and see how the car sits with the new wheels and camber plates.

IMAG0010.jpg

Just wanted to say this is one of the sexiest photos I've seen in a while. Okay, now I'll continue reading :)

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

After some more small items, I took the car out for a drive. Well, the driveway. The car goes in gear and moves under its own power! However, the column decided to lock up randomly, so I couldn't turn the wheel enough to go anywhere. I'll do some searching and maybe post on this issue specifically. It was pretty anticlimactic not being able to get out of my own driveway. It's also got an issue of dying after throttle blips. It's not catching itself. But one problem at a time. I plan to take the #4G63510 to the Nissan meet here in Vegas on March 9th.

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to drive the car up and down the street a few times. I'm still sorting some running issues out and need to move my turning "stops" out more so the tires don't rub when I turn. A few more small things and it should be ready to get it registered :-)

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Some small updates. Waiting on a couple of parts so I can get the car inspected and certified as road ready so I can then get it registered.

I installed some cheap Taiwan "521" mirrors. They're the best looking ones I could find at a decent price. I hate the white trim and gasket, but they'll work. The passenger side doesn't angle enough for me to really see out of it. I'll see if I can modify it or somehow get it to work properly.

4B90F598-B5ED-4811-8771-D0258C320AE2.jpg

A3F775D8-5C2F-4F74-8A06-2A96C9558462.jpg

76E4B412-1D73-4FC1-8A3E-CACE76A3299C.jpg

Other updates to the build include a functioning e-brake, Civic center console, Marlin Crawler R154 shifter bushings, and GM 90amp alternator. I'm sure there's a few other small things that have happened, but that should about cover it.

Other parts arriving this week are hood struts, a windshield wiper assembly, and speed density conversion for the motor. (it doesn't like where my MAF is at). Other than that, the plan is to have it certified and make its public debut at the local Saturday morning car show on April 8th.

• 1 month later...

I've been busy and not updating this thread. Busy DRIVING!!! #4G63510 is road legal and terrorizing the streets of Las Vegas. Well, driving 45mph isn't exactly a terror, but I've got about 85 miles on it since last Tuesday. I'm attempting to smog it tomorrow (when I get a replacement bolt for my downpipe) and an appointment on Tuesday to get registration fully complete. (almost waited until 5/10 to do it, but why wait) I was going to register it as a Classic, but the DMV worker didn't know what they were doing and skipped that part. I do have a custom plate coming for it though (assuming it passes smog)

Still lots to do to make it completely daily drivable, but it runs decent. I even spent about an hour in stop and go traffic on Friday in 90 degree heat without too much of an issue. Had to pick up a part for my 350Z and had a chance to confuse some sales people who thought they knew things about cars when I pulled up in this amalgamation  :P

I'll try to get some more pics out in the wild and hopefully some street pulls when it runs a little better and I've broken in the clutch.

• Like 1

I passed smog!!! Funny that Nevada makes you smog anything 1968 and newer while California is 1977 and newer.

In any case, I have my DMV appointment tomorrow to register it and the personalized plates are already ordered. I tied up a few small items today after my sigh of relief. Literally tied. Tied up the spaghetti under the dash. I'll fix it for good in the coming months. I replaced a few fuses that were underrated for the amp draw. Adjusted the brake pedal to take out some free play. It still needs some bleeding, but it's feeling much better with the 85 miles I've driven it so far. I also put in an adjustment screw for the clutch pedal. I need to put a pedal stop on the firewall at some point, but this makes it feel much better. It also needs a dead pedal. I also wrapped my downpipe in heat wrap to help manage temps. Last up was getting my idle to a reasonable 750rpm instead of the 1k rpm it's been at.

I'll keep putting miles on it and making small changes. I've got a few more parts in the mail like a turbo blanket and some better lug nuts. I got my "official" Datsun keychain from Nissan today and it's stating to look like a car. If everything remains on course, I'll be driving it to the car show on Saturday. Hopefully Peter Brock will be there to give me his input.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I've been busy driving the car and enjoying it. It's currently making about 10psi of boost and easily spins through second gear with the long R154 gears and the 3.5:1 R200. I took it out for my first ever autocross on Sunday and I definitely suck. My best time was on par with the mid pack guys on their first passes, so I don't feel too bad even though I was dead last out of 80 cars.

FE9FB12C-62F2-4D3B-A6E5-072ADE3F668C.jpg

I keep doing small things here and there. I just finished a coil on plug setup that cleaned up a lot of wires and generally makes it look nicer.

CF3B966B-4376-4BF1-BA58-4BA01BEAA08D.jpg

I also dug up this paperwork from the glovebox. Not sure I've ever posted this. It was in the car when I purchased it in 2005 and I've held on to it for nostalgia sake.

75908723-C2C7-47A4-BFFA-5D7D05F4D301.jpg

I've got a possible electrical issue I need to figure out. The car died on the way home from the autocross and had to be towed home. I'm thinking the ignitor module got hot and cut ignition. I fired it up today without any issues, so I'm kind of stumped. Anyway, a small update is still an update  :)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

No major huge updates, but I did install Byron's camber/toe brackets from Futofab a while back and did a proper alignment. I had planned to drive it from Las Vegas to Colorado a couple weeks ago for vacation, but my electrical issue wasn't resolved.

I think I have it figured out now and determined it was the cheap coils I used for my coil on plug setup. I have switched back to the stock coils and waiting for another issue to arise. I plan to take it to the next local autocross at the end of the month.

Next upgrade will likely be BMW projectors to improve night driving. I'm also starting to look at "trimming" the front wheel wells for tire clearance, as I don't have full turning with my larger tires. I'm sure there's a good write up somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. I know several people have done it. Any advice?

Also, does anyone have a good fix for the fuel smell? I'm sure it's just pin holes or something, but it only happens when turning (usually left). I have upgraded to the B2600 fuel filler neck, but not much else on fuel tank.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I met Mr. Peter Brock at my local Cars and Coffee and he gave some kind words to me about my build. I couldn't be happier to receive his feedback.He also mentioned an Open House on October 6th that I will be attending.

Small updates include BMW ellipsoid headlights, a stereo with speakers mounted in a new rear deck panel, some carpeting, and a better EG Civic center console. I'll post more pics when I switch things over to another photo hosting service.

File_000_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Winter break is here, so that means it's time to do a larger project on the car.

Before work can begin, the garage must be cleaned so I'm not rolling in dirt and oil, and so I know where tools and parts are at.

IMG_3713.jpg

Next was to take pics to show where the car is currently (so I can impress myself with the results). Or so I can remember where parts went  :P

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

And next was to start removing stuff. I'm taking some video of the process. If it turns out well, I might post it. It's not too interesting so far, but we'll see.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

Next up is to start grinding, sanding, welding, and filling so I can put on some paint. Just doing some spray enamel in white to clean things up, make it one color, and it will eventually be a white car anyway. The last step before reassembly is to clean up a few wiring and plumbing things that need some attention. Thankfully I've got another week and a half to dedicate to working on this pile so I can enjoy it some more.  :thumbup:

More stuff done. Stitch welded the engine bay. I'm sure I didn't do a great job, but It's done and I did it myself.

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

I also filled a few holes and did some smoothing. I didn't go overboard, I just wanted to clean things up a bit.

IMG_3737.jpg

Then I did some filler and sanding to end up with this.

IMG_3743.jpg

It certainly isn't professional, but it looks decent and it's all one color. I just used some plain white enamel spray paint. It's baking now with a heater on it and I should start reassembly tomorrow. I hope I put it all back where it came from.

As a side note, does anyone have any info on chassis stiffening? I'm still considering this, but I've seen lots of cars without this mod.

Screen_Shot_2017-12-30_at_5.08.42_PM.png

What other methods, short of a cage, can we do to stiffen the 45 year old chassis? S30 guys have frame rails and other braces. Even modern cars have bolt-on chassis braces. I'm not trying to go all out, but would like to do all I can to make this thing handle its best.

And what front end is this? BMW?

114a_Datsun510.jpg

My next option is this. Camaro?

dsc00932.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the BRE style. It sticks out a bit too much. I'm not opposed to it, I'd just like some other options.