4G63 510

Well, a full year later and I have made zero progress. Life got in the way and the car has been in storage for a full year now. I'm hoping to have some time this summer to work on this thing, but I feel dejected. I just want to drive this car so bad. So I suppose I should stop bitching and make things happen.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, a full year later and I have made zero progress. Life got in the way and the car has been in storage for a full year now. I'm hoping to have some time this summer to work on this thing, but I feel dejected. I just want to drive this car so bad. So I suppose I should stop bitching and make things happen.

This project did fall flat... we had talked a little over a year ago on the Realm about 4G swaps. Glad to see youre coming back into the game. Welcome back :)

Not quite back. Recovering from a torn Achilles injury. But at least I have time on my hands :) LOTS of time. Guess I should figure out that wiring thing I've been working on :)

I love reading everyone's build threads and getting inspiration and motivation to work on my stuff. I'm getting back to it. Might even bite the bullet and put some parts on the credit card. Can't wait to be one of the cool kids that drives around a 510 ;-)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Updates will be coming. I finally moved into a new place with a garage a couple of weeks ago. I made some work space mods today by raising my workbench 12" for my tall ass. I'll be (hopefully) finishing the wiring very soon. It's mostly there, just need an expert to look it over and take me to the next step. He's done a few 510/Honda fuse panel jobs and will be a great help. I'm not optimistic that it will be running by 5/10 Day, but I'm optimistic it will run (and hopefully drive) by the end of the summer. THERE WILL BE UPDATES!

• Like 1

Just so no one has to read all the posts, my goal with this was to make a "drop in" solution. There are very few fabricated or custom parts on this swap. The coolant routing from the water pump will be custom, the intake manifold is modified, the bell housing is a part that can be bought from Bill Hincher, and I made a trans crossmember for it. But everything bolts in pretty straightforward. I'm working on the wiring right now and I'll take a look at the driveshaft and axles next. Then it's on to the exhaust and intercooler before I fire this thing up. Thinking I might bust out the credit card to speed up the process. I might have a wiring diagram up by this weekend using a Honda fuse panel with the 510 chassis harness.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I promised some updates, and then forgot to post the small one from about 3 weeks ago. I finally got the fuel pump mounted in the stock tank. It's a Walboro 255lph on a Z31 fuel pump mount.

IMG_0670.jpg

In hindsight, I should have done what everyone else does and mount it on the driver's side of the tank. It works in the middle, but I had to bend the fuel level sender to avoid the Z31 baffle-thing.

IMG_0668.jpg

I did have to bend and cut the stock fuel return tube a bit. I also removed the stock fuel pump cage and just used one of the brackets to mount the pump. It also had to be shortened a bit. I did solder the wires to the stock location instead of splicing wires.

IMG_0671.jpg

Here's the stock top with the hardline connectors. It's ready for a power connection.

IMG_0669.jpg

Here's the stock baffle-thing. It's pretty ingenious for a stock solution. I'm hoping it works out well for me. I did have to cut down one of the tabs in the bottom to clear the pump filter. They're there to hold the stock pump in the middle of the baffle.

I still need to get the proper o-ring for the top and find the correct screws to hold it down. I also need to seal up the unused tubes/holes in the tank and get the filler neck situation resolved. But hey, at least I got something done.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great so far, engine remained stock correct, or change anything up for slight power gain?

Basically stock. It has EVO 8 pistons and rods, which are supposed to be a little stronger, but seem to lower compression a little. Should still be around 8.5:1 with the slightly shaved head. No big tricks here, just looking for 300whp (which is probably too much anyway).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been making very slow progress...  I would like to go with a dry sump at some point, but again, I'm trying to keep it simple. I have had visions of running a dry sump using the stock oil pump gears and pickup tube. I just don't think I understand it enough to make an effort right now.

Why not raise the engine a bit? Seems like you have lots of room between the trans and tunnel? Or is it the BMC clearance problem that may result from raising it?

Why not raise the engine a bit? Seems like you have lots of room between the trans and tunnel? Or is it the BMC clearance problem that may result from raising it?

The Toyota R154 transmission I'm using is pretty big. I don't think I have much room. I haven't dug into this for a while, so maybe there's more than I think. I'm just using stock 610 motor mounts that raise it up a bit. Honestly, the pan clearance is not my biggest worry. It will only be an issue if the car ever gets on the road. Or "when" the car is on the road :p

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Im deffinetly doing a similar buld to this but ill go na for now. And im going to use the rx7 tranny with the b2600 bell housing and slave with a slitly extended rod. The rx tranny is strong enuf even if i boost it and it can handle rpms all day. I may have the tranny soon and still serching for a short block for my build. Not having much money doesnt help but ill make it work. Ill even try finding a donar car for the motor and parts ill need.

Updates forsure on this build!

n/a has about 130 at the flywheel bone stock, not really the motor i would go with on a budget, and if you wanted to go turbo later you pretty much have to rebuild a new motor for the oil squirters and proper pistons and so fourth, 

not trying to sway you but ka would probably be cheaper and more powerful  

im building a turbo motor 4g63 for my truck i have done a ton of research 

keep in mind you have to have the intake flipped and unless you can TIG it can get pricey 

but yes please MOAR UPDATES

There are a ton of 4Gxx options. Single cam, dual cam, 1.5L, 1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L, turbo, NA, high compression, etc. You can probably pick up a whole turbo car for under $1k that needs some work (blown head gasket, high mileage, neglect) These are tough motors and TONS of these things were made in the 90s and should be plentiful in any wrecking yard.

The pic that shows room around the transmission is a bit misleading. That was before the 610 motor mounts and I had to work out some clearance with the slave cylinder. It's also about as high up as it will go. This was originally an automatic car. Also, the head on these motors is pretty big, and it's back as far as it will go. I could probably raise the motor a little more, but it's the least of my worries and I'm trying to use as many off the shelf parts as possible.

I'm on summer break (I'm a teacher) and I'm going to tackle this wiring if it kills me. I'll be hanging around some very knowledgeable people and picking their brains to figure out what it is I'm missing. There will be updates.

• Like 1