what kind of sunroof is this?

teddatsun

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not oem(stock datsun), it looks to be either a donmar(which are out of bussiness for over 15 years, or it could be a stretch forming/cr lawrence, i used to install both for several years at my shop in san diego, i still have connections to the latter company, and can get complete units, i would need the out side frame measurements, front to back, dvr to pass. let me know and i can help you out, also some of the older sun roofs were marked some where on the glass, or latches, or frame with the company name, but i am pretty sure that with the measurements i can help you out...tom

sky port, like the other above is/was distributed by stretch forming/cr lawrence, i can get complete replacement sunroofs, but alas as they are about 15-20 years old there are no repair parts available, just complete sunroofs...tom

the seals for the out dated ones are not available any longer, but if you have something more recent, then may be available, not sure till i can get a maker and model(or good pictures) , complete units are around $180.00 - $215.00, just depends on the size and shape of the sunroof, i would also need measurements(front to back, and side to side, outside edges) and a drawing of the corner radius, as there are about 50 differant sunroof manufacturers out there, hope this helps a little, they can most times be interchanged as far as replacing one with another(complete units), some trimming of the sheet metal may be required...tom

Where exactly is it leaking? If between the frame and the roof skin, totally remove the sunroof and sand the edges, primer and install new gray colored sealer. It comes on a 1" wide roll and can easily be found. It is very sticky and will solve that problem.

If the seal is leaking, look closely at Your latches. Some are threaded and adjustable. You will see what I mean by closely examining. A few sunroof manifacturers thought ahead on this problem and made the latches where they can be tightened down over time to prevent a leak. One last thought. Most sunroof seals were hollow. Possibly You could inject silicone or something similar inside to bring back the "roundness" of the seal. Hope that helps!!!

• 11 years later...

Everyone-Please see my Wanted to buy ad in Miscellaneous Datsun items. Looking for a LeVan SKYPORT 13-1/2 x 28-1/2 glass just like the one at the top of the page. I know this is really an old post but I'm not having much luck. If you get this message; can you let me know if you have one available?  Thanks for your help, Chuckster

• 1 year later...

FYI, DONMAR is not out of business. That was not a DONMAR sunroof, most likely a 70's era double latch LeVan SkyPort, WCW, DG, Hammond, Martin, Elixer or any of a dozen other companies who used common hardware and glass but made their own frame and seal. Parts are long gone and the only aftermarket pop-up sunroof still on the market is DONMAR's Skyroof® Gen.Z

~ DONMAR Sunroofs & Accessories

• 2 months later...

Sunroofs were real popular back in the 70's and there were many aftermarket brands. When I got my 620, it had one of unknown brand that amazingly hadn't leaked though the rubber was totally UV rotted beyond the glass. If only I could replace the seal it was good. I had the same failure of finding any parts, even considered brewing up my own seal.

Problem ultimately was that there was a big hole in the roof that had to get plugged. I had a roof skin on hand for patching, but know that it would still look like a patch on a big hole.

Searched for a replacement sunroof. Since factories all produce sunroofs I though "Hey why not salvage a roof from a wrecker?" Problem is almost ALL sunroofs drop down inside and slide back to open, and 620's have way too small of a roof. There are very few factory sunroofs that open UP - the Hyundai Tiburon 1st gen was a candidate.

I got lucky and found one of the very last Webasto sunroofs, still brand new, and have that installed now. Bonus is it's larger and slides UP & over the roof when fully open.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, datzenmike said:

Worst decision was to put a sunroof in my 620. Just don't.

Agreed! At some point in my 85' 720's life somebody installed one of these puppies as well. I wish they hadn't. Not only don't I like the way it looks. Whatever filler they added to try and blend it to the shape of the roof created rust spots. I also live in southern Arizona so this is just another way for the scorching sun to come in. Only positive is that I'm short enough at 5'8" to where I can barely see it when standing in front of the truck. I can't see it if I'm standing next to or behind the truck.

90's 300zx's came with factory removable T-Top covers that are installed on the interior of the car. I'm going to see about making some sort of cover for this sunroof. Any ideas of how I should go about making a cover are welcome.

MTO0qE0.jpg

CWEDtoC.jpg