200sx's unite!!!!!!!!

On 4/28/2021 at 3:14 PM, datzenmike said:

I doubt they would use these on the CA18ET.

Well, they did. And it's a main factor in why they had some many failures. There's a reason a boosted 1.8L only made 140hp, and that was overly optimistic. Any more boost than that and the rods failed.

The engine was a failure for Nissan, big time. They are absolute junk.

And it is not to be confused with the CA18DET, which it shares zero parts with, and is a 250-300hp beast. 

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

358497634_200sx1500x1125.thumb.jpg.46995f6c16711ec7e6e0d2936629f4cf.jpgFor the first time in about 30 years, I found an S10 in a salvage yard. My very first PL510 had an L20 and dogleg swapped from a 200SX, and I loved that combo. Anyway, the car is mostly there, and I intend to grab:

Dogleg trans

Matchbox dist (if still there; forgot to check)

Louvers?

What else should be saved? 

What crosses over to PL510s? Steering, struts, anything? How similar is that front x-member and arms?

Any other electrical or convenience upgrades over the 510?  Viscous fan coupler?

And there was an HL510 wagon there too. 5 speed...

Edited by ByStickel
8 hours ago, ByStickel said:

For the first time in about 30 years, I found an S10 in a salvage yard. My very first PL510 had an L20 and dogleg swapped from a 200SX, and I loved that combo. Anyway, the car is mostly there, and I intend to grab:

Dogleg trans

Matchbox dist (if still there; forgot to check)

Louvers?

What else should be saved? 

What crosses over to PL510s? Steering, struts, anything? How similar is that front x-member and arms?

Any other electrical or convenience upgrades over the 510?  Viscous fan coupler?

And there was an HL510 wagon there too. 5 speed...

That sunroof is pretty huge!

I don't think much crosses over - the 200SX chassis is based on the B210. It does have a full set of gauges with a 4cyl tach, which could be useful. A lot of the switches could be useful too (I put some of those light-up green switches in my 510.)

The L20B could be useful to someone.

I'm curious if the 5-speed in the HL510 is the same length as the 200SX. They should both be doglegs. I think it should be if it is an earlier L-series model, but I'm not sure.

They're both short-tail, so should be a direct swap for the original 4-speed. Someone correct me if that's wrong. SOME HL510s have an FS5C60L dogleg. They're said to be very weak. The 200SX (and most optioned HL510s) has anFS5C63A, which holds up when paired with most NA L16-L20

Here's the info I've saved on the nissan transmissions. The first is hard to read:

https://forums.nicoclub.com/l16-5-speed-transmission-t375359.html

http://datsunworld.blogspot.com/2016/03/datsun-l-series-transmission.html

That sunroof is crazy. It's all external, with a single, frameless piece of glass that you work from the outside, via a finger hole drilled at the back. Of course, someone left it open for a decade or two.

I feel bad about taking anything from this car due to it's rarity... but rare doesn't always mean desirable or valuable.

Edited by ByStickel

Only a '78 and '79 S10 200sx will have the EI distributors. Only the '79 had the 'matchbox' the '78 was the 'remote igniter'... just as good just different. '77 will be points unless California emissions, they may be remote igniter.

The 'dogleg' 5 speed is an FS5W63A. The only manual transmission in the S10 200sx and the only manual 5 speed option in the HL510.

Only the '79 HL510 had the L20B engine. The L series dogleg in the HL510 is identical to the S10 200sx dogleg, even the ratios are the same

The '80-'81 HL510 uses a Z series engine so the transmission will not mount to an L series engine. The Z series dogleg uses a different 1st and 2nd gear ratio than the L series. It could be considered a slightly 'closer' ratio transmission. 3, 4, 5 and reverse are the same.

The dogleg is adequate for a two liter engine and use in a light car like the HL510 and the S10 200sx. It's no good for heavy duty use as in a truck or with larger displacement engines. The 71B transmissions are far and away much stronger than the 63A so in comparison they are 'weaker' but work well enough. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I think K is the L18? engine code.

K means coupe, not L18. The L16 and L18 510 coupes are KP510. Also the 610 is PL610 for L18, HL610 for L20B. All L-series from L13 up to L18 are P, only L20B is H. 

Also, I believe the L20b was only sold in the North American market. So everywhere else it is a KPA10 or WPA10, etc.. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If that was built by ASC (American Sunroof Corp) who also did factory authorized Mustang conversions (buddy has an ASC MacLaren Mustang),

574081.jpg.b6ae53ed91384996fda78ae5646aa726.jpg

that will be collectible. Note there are bound to be some unique parts that will be hard to come by, including little trim bits. Very rare car!