200sx's unite!!!!!!!!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All S110 engines are a direct swap. Only difference is some of the 1980 models don't have an O2 sensor. Z20E and Z22E run the same wiring/plugs. Ideally you should swap to the Z22 ECU, but you can tweak the MAF to make the bigger engine work, or just drive it as is as long as you don;t beat on it too hard. 

Even the Z24 from a truck is a good option, but will require swapping over your oil pan, intake and exhaust, then retuning the MAF.  :thumbup:

Would love to do a KA24E swap in one. It will bolt up to the stock trans, use the stock engine mounts, and the stock fuel pump. Just need to bolt it in and figure out the wiring.  :thumbup:

there are some changes between the Z20E and the Z22E like 4 or 8 spark plugs, Z20E is group fired injectors, but yes could be over come with ECU and distributor, but in theroy you could use a Z22E ecu and distibutor on a Z20E engine but would be a step back going the other way i think since you would be dropping it to group fire.....

I may get a 200sx '80 or '81 I think. The motor's been sitting for years so toast? What are my options on an old car like this? Sorry for being so vague, I just don't know what I'll do. Need inspiration...

I'll have a Z20 up for grabs soon if you wish to go that way

there are some changes between the Z20E and the Z22E like 4 or 8 spark plugs,

Actually, that's a year thing, not an engine thing. Non-California 1980 models are 4-plug, all the rest are 8-plug. So the Z20E came both ways. 

Z20E is group fired injectors, but yes could be over come with ECU and distributor, but in theroy you could use a Z22E ecu and distibutor on a Z20E engine but would be a step back going the other way i think since you would be dropping it to group fire.

Well, most of the Z24 engines are throttle-body-injected (or carbureted), so even the batch-fire Z20E/Z22E management is really a step up. Almost every Nissan engine was batch-fire up until the late 80s. 

• 2 weeks later...

I sure got a kick out of the article, especially the graph of the 200sx beating the Dodge challenger in the standing 1/4 mile by a fraction of a second! True? who knows. Entertaining?.. for sure! lol .

Anybody still have the battery fluid monitoring sending unit(s) from their 1979-81 200sx they could take a picture of and post? From the manual it looks like it might require a pair?  I've got a 1980 and the guages and system check all seem to work, but I don't have the sending units. My Nissan Parts girl says: Part number is 24412-U7610 and it fits S110 01/79-06/81 and S130 (280zx) 07/78-08/81.  The bad part is she says the part is "disco" by Nissan and I haven't a clue what it looks like.  :confused:

Worse yet...every So Cal. junkyard 280 ZX I've looked in already had the battery cables and harnesses cut, rather than unbolted.  

( I miss my old sheetmetal freak who moved away. Wish I could find another in north county San Diego.) 

Also looking for a good working turn signal switch. (Couldn't resist, Sorry DZM.)