200sx's unite!!!!!!!!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parting out 1980 200sx S110 Coupe. Automatic, Z20E. Complete car. Runs.... kind of. Engine runs great, but won't idle under 1000 RPM. Cleaned throttle body, didnt fix much. 

I AM KEEPING THE H165 REAR END AND RADIATOR!!! NOT FOR SALE! 

everything else is fair game, whole or parts!

Please PM me, or go ahead and shoot me a text.... 243-468-7243

thanks!

• Like 1

I'm looking for a couple things, I need the trim part of the drivers door that holds the rubber weatherstripping, and drivers door mirror and drivers side tail light. Stuff that I will be getting rid of, rear end, engine and tranny out of a 1980 (z20)

• 2 weeks later...

I may get a 200sx '80 or '81 I think. The motor's been sitting for years so toast? What are my options on an old car like this? Sorry for being so vague, I just don't know what I'll do. Need inspiration...

I've brought 3 Datsuns back from the dead, all of them sitting for years. The main thing is get all the old stale gas out - drain the tank and blow out the lines. The cars I did were carbed, so maybe easier. I've never tried it on a FI engine, but I believe there is a procedure for cleaning injectors. You will need to research that idea. Can you get the "story" from the seller on why the SX was parked? Sometimes it can be something fairly simple like a bad fuel pump or relay and people don't think it is worth fixing. Or maybe they ran it out of oil and ruined the bearings - but won't admit it to you. If you can't get the "story" you will have to see if the engine turns over by hand - grab the fan belt and front pulley and see if you can roll it over. It helps to take the spark plugs out. You want to look at them closely anyway. If 3 look tan or brown and one looks black that is a good sign of a dead cylinder. Looking at the condition of the oil is sometimes an indication of how the engine is. If it is black as coal and really low on the dip stick that isn't an encouraging sign. But remember sometimes people add oil after they run it out of oil and ruin the bearings. They think they can maybe "fix it" with some fresh oil. So the whole thing is a bit of a crap shoot, but kind of fun too. The trick is to try to get it running enough to listen for weird engine noises without spending a ton of money on it. The first thing you need to do if you buy the SX is go to eBay and buy the Factory Service Manual for whichever year it is. You can probably get one for less than $20 including postage, and they are waaay more detailed than a Haynes or Chilton manual. The FSM gives details on how to test all the sensors and relays with a multimeter. Good luck with it.

Len

Thankyou Len. The body is not too bad but I haven't seen it for a while. Stored elsewhere. It was running at one time but started acting up and was put in a shed. I need to get it together and go see it and make an assessment of what it needs and what I am capable of doing to fix it. Motor swap may be the easiest?

cjcs51.jpg

Wow! It's so nice I may be discouraged... :rofl:

Probably working on the motor the SX has will be the easiest choice. If it was running okay and then started running poorly, it could be something pretty simple, even a bad fuel filter. You might ask the seller if they tried to get it fixed, or just decided to park it. But even if it was originally something simple, the chances are gas has evaporated in the fuel system and some things will need to be cleaned. Or maybe not. If the gas in the tank smells stale, drain or siphon it out and put in a couple of gallons of fresh. Take the gas line loose at the engine and stick it in a catch can, then turn on the key to see if the electric fuel pump is working. New fuel filter or filters would probably be a good idea. Then try to start it and see if it comes close to starting. I really don't know if injectors that have been sitting for years are almost sure to be clogged or not. Maybe people that really know FI just go ahead and clean them or replace them. If it starts, but runs poorly, then use the Factory Service Manual to try to figure out the problem. Be sure to check all the vacuum lines for cracks, since a vacuum leak will cause poor running. Vacuum line is cheap enough it should all be replaced with new.

Swapping engines would be okay if you can find an engine you know is better than what you have. Probably the only engine that will be a drop-in may be a 2.2 liter. Even then I'm not sure if all the wiring harness plugins will be compatible with a newer engine. Maybe fine. I suppose a KA24 or VG30 could be considered, but would be a lot more work. I've never heard of anyone doing either of these in an S110, but maybe it has been done. An L20b would be cheap and easy to find, but has a different tilt when it sits in the engine bay and the sump on the oil pan is on the wrong end compared with the SX Z20. Then there are things like a KA24 head on a Z22 block, but you'll have to do a lot of research on that idea.

Keep in mind that an SX with an engine swap won't be worth nearly as much as a 510 with the same amount of money and work into it. I know resale isn't the only consideration here, but just something to think about. Of course a bare 510 shell will be way more expensive to begin with than an SX. Having an S110 SX with a KA or VG30 would certainly be unique.

Len

Swapping engines would be okay if you can find an engine you know is better than what you have. Probably the only engine that will be a drop-in may be a 2.2 liter. Even then I'm not sure if all the wiring harness plugins will be compatible with a newer engine.

All S110 engines are a direct swap. Only difference is some of the 1980 models don't have an O2 sensor. Z20E and Z22E run the same wiring/plugs. Ideally you should swap to the Z22 ECU, but you can tweak the MAF to make the bigger engine work, or just drive it as is as long as you don;t beat on it too hard. 

Even the Z24 from a truck is a good option, but will require swapping over your oil pan, intake and exhaust, then retuning the MAF.  :thumbup:

Maybe fine. I suppose a KA24... Having an S110 SX with a KA or VG30 would certainly be unique.

Would love to do a KA24E swap in one. It will bolt up to the stock trans, use the stock engine mounts, and the stock fuel pump. Just need to bolt it in and figure out the wiring.  :thumbup:

Oem KA mani hits steering box

If that's the worst of it, I'd still say it "fits" okay.   ^_^

Stock KA manifold doesn't seem to fit well in anything with a steering box. On both of my 510s with KAs I used lightly modified off-the-shelf headers (one Pacesetter, one OBX). Exhaust hit the steering box on both. 

Wonder how feasible swapping in a 280ZX crossmember/rack would be...     :rofl: