200sx's unite!!!!!!!!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty much everyone knows about Paul Newman racing 280Zs for Bob Sharp. It isn't as well know that he ran a 200SX about the same time. About half way down this page: http://www.datsunhistory.com/Sharp.html it says "Newman had a better year in 1978 when he drove a 280z and a 200sx to division Championships, and qualified well at the Runoffs." and "Then came 1979. Newman's 200sx had all the bugs worked out of it by then, and he won all 8 races he entered in that car, winning the regional title." I can't find any pics of him proudly posing with the SX, but here is one of his car:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/27666849@N04/2923527034/

I've posted this clip before, but maybe a few missed it (or of course want to view again). Another bygone movie star proving the 200SX isn't just beautiful, it is a real performance car too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8z1B7nHoyc

Have sweet SX dreams tonite.

Len

CIMG1807.JPG

I hope you don't mind me posting your pic from your link. It is one of the few things I sort of understand how to do on a computer (and I'm proud of it). I like your convert, at least I guess it is yours, since you list an '81 SX convert in your list of cars. And an interesting list it is. I'm envious. Please post more pics of all your collection. How about more details on the '81 - when it was done and who did it, and what mods were done to strengthen the floor pan? I came very close to buying a an '81 SX coupe instead of the '79 I got. The same gypo car lot had both, but wanted more money for the '81 (a couple of hundred I recall), and he said the '79 was going to Pull n Save, so I had to rescue it. I should have bought both. I remember the '81 had a way more comfortable seating/driving position. I think the FI and 8 plug head kind of spooked me, so I went for the carby '79. But I still want a 2nd gen SX (along with about a half a dozen other Datsun models).

Len

CIMG1807.JPG

I hope you don't mind me posting your pic from your link. It is one of the few things I sort of understand how to do on a computer (and I'm proud of it). I like your convert, at least I guess it is yours, since you list an '81 SX convert in your list of cars. And an interesting list it is. I'm envious. Please post more pics of all your collection. How about more details on the '81 - when it was done and who did it, and what mods were done to strengthen the floor pan? I came very close to buying a an '81 SX coupe instead of the '79 I got. The same gypo car lot had both, but wanted more money for the '81 (a couple of hundred I recall), and he said the '79 was going to Pull n Save, so I had to rescue it. I should have bought both. I remember the '81 had a way more comfortable seating/driving position. I think the FI and 8 plug head kind of spooked me, so I went for the carby '79. But I still want a 2nd gen SX (along with about a half a dozen other Datsun models).

Len

Thanks Len...for posting my EX-convertible...I gave it away to my coworkers 18 year old daughter!She got me in a generous mood! lol She loved the car so much plus since she needed a car for college...I said to myself what the heck!...only condition was when she tires of the car it comes back to me regardless of condition!

I have a feeling I'm the only one on Ratsun who drives a 1st gen 200SX (or maybe the only one who will admit it). Maybe someone will prove me wrong and drive out of the closet with another one. As I've posted before, my SX cost me $100 cash and two 6-packs of Rolling Rock (and most people think I seriously overpaid). It's been a faithful daily driver for several years without needing much work. I don't have any big plans to do much to it - all my energy is going into getting my '72 510 running. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm seeing some SX pics I've never seen before. I see from the Canby 2010 pics there was an early SX there this year. Anyone know the details on it?

200SX_web.jpg

No way dude, that's a steal! Your car is in good shape biggrin.gif

There's one for sale in Orange County on CL right now for 2K. It's green an pretty clean.

• Like 2

Burabuda - Wow, more cool SX pics! The orangey one would be a great stablemate for my F10; same color and in worse shape, so the F10 would look better. I'm concerned about the last pic. Looks like an area where there may be tall cliffs. I hope the little SX survived the day.

leosnake - I like your loan-a-Datsun program. You get Karma points for being so generous which entitles you to buy two more Datsuns to fill in for the missing one. Any rationalization to buy more cars.

ruckycharms - Thanks for the kind words. I'll tell the SX not everyone hates her. Like some people, she photographs better than she looks in real life. Not really in horrible shape, but the driver side quarter panel has been pushed in and sculpted with Bondo. Front bumper mounts are bent so the bumper hangs crooked. Cheap repaint that is fading away. And the interior is pretty ratty. But she just keeps running.

I looked at the Orange County one you mentioned. Good luck to him on getting that price. There is a quite nice one in the next town over from me for about $650, which is a good deal, even for backwoods Eastern WA. Maybe Cali folks will pay that much more than us cheapskates here. I keep hoping someone will buy this local SX so I don't get it in a weak moment. It has an auto, so my wife could drive it, but she isn't at all enthused about the idea. I just don't understand.

Len

unfortunately a dimwitted earl scheib color change from silver to white wtf

and notice the diagonal aftermarket door impact strip that's been riveted on ... thx to the stooge who installed that

ftnfwl.jpg

:crying: = :rolleyes:

Prolly got painted cause the paint was bad, and the impact strip was more than likely, an option that came on the car. Thats a Nice Car!

Sorry man, wasnt tryin to ruffle your feathers :ninja: Its just that you seemed pretty whiny :crying: I have seen 200s that were in ALOT worse shape :( Seems the "Stooge" took pretty good care of that one :D

And atleast the 210 thread is full of cars that we actually OWN! :poke:

I cant stay away from this thread, I Love 200s, they are the only Datsuns Uglier than the 210s :lol:

Edit: The Datsun F10 is in fact, Uglier than 200s and 210s!

I cant stay away from this thread, I Love 200s, they are the only Datsuns Uglier than the 210s :lol:

Hey, my F10 is offended! If the subject is Ugly Datsuns, it doesn't want to be overlooked.

It will be fun watching the eBay thing on this SX. Considering how bad most of them are (nearly all I've ever seen were at wrecking yards, or should have been), this is a decent one. Most of the factory options too. Doesn't have the chrome luggage rack on the trunk, but few people would want that anyway. The early bidding is interesting. 5 bids and they haven't hit $300. Doesn't it seem reasonable that if the opening bid is $200, and there is a reserve, the reserve would be a fair amount above $200? Maybe these bidders are doing some strange head games on the other bidders. I also just discovered the links to vids on his eBay listing. Kind of entertaining seeing a Datsun with most everything electrical actually working.

Len

Hey, my F10 is offended! If the subject is Ugly Datsuns, it doesn't want to be overlooked.

Kind of entertaining seeing a Datsun with most everything electrical actually working.

Len

Sorry to your F10...... Sorry for your F10...... seriously..... Im sorry! ;)

And +2 on the Electrics! :lol:

got this for free last monday

datsun001.jpg

Wow, an SX that looks worse than mine! A Ratsun if there ever was one. What are your plans for it? Full restoration? Keep it as is, drive it Canby next year just to offend all the owners of pretty Datsuns? Park it there with a hidden camera and record the reactions.

Len

Look, all I meant was if they were around more, if we had more owners on here with them I'd feel more comfortable. Seeing the 200sx is like walking into a room where a woman is breastfeeding her child and you look away suddenly. I know it's a natural thing to see them both and there is nothing sexual, you want to look but don't want to stare, it's just weird is all.

• Like 1

Look, all I meant was if they were around more, if we had more owners on here with them I'd feel more comfortable.

So what I'm thinking is the single best thing to legitimize the 1st gen 200SX is for datzenmike to add one to his collection. If one of the most knowledgeable, respected members of Ratsun owned one, other Ratsuners would have to accept them (disregarding, of course, the opinions of non-Ratsunites. Who cares what they think?). How about it datzenmike? Can you just admit you have a secret craving for an SX and buy one, or do we have to take a poll or vote or something and decide for you?

Always happy to try to lead others astray.

Len

^ amen. if the youngsters see a ratsuner they look up to with a 200sx, who knows what can happen

people go on and on about the styling. well keep in mind that the s10 (first-gen 200sx) was one of the few nissans to make it from artist's concept to production car virtually unchanged

if all datsuns were done up that way (they weren't) the s10 wouldn't shock as much

2rcu5ow.jpg

How about it datzenmike? Can you just admit you have a secret craving for an SX and buy one, or do we have to take a poll or vote or something and decide for you?

Len

Hey Len, I said it wasn't sexual. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know I like all things Datsun. The S10 isn't ugly exactly :D It's like eating olives or sushi, it's an acquired taste. I will say that If I found one in good shape like my 710 and cheap I would have it. I like driving around in my 710, people (most over 30) glance at it and you can see them trying to remember.... something... A first gen would be rad to be seen in. I could get used to it but to everyone else who sees it drive by it's like a mouthful of sushi. :lol: