84 turbo Maxima: finishing up for the summer

Just wondering, but how do you lay down coats after the first? while the part is hot, or after it's cooled down? I've tried laying down stuff after my chrome basecoat after it cooled down, but the powder never sticks to the part, and if I spray when it's hot, it's really hard to get an even coat =/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Got the transmission pulled out today. Took an hour from car on the ground till it was pulled(50% of the pulling time spent with the driveshaft hoop and rear sway bar... lol).

Now to get started with the shake-n-bake of the two transmissions.

2010-08-11%2013.08.35.jpg

Interesting note, as per the Maxima service manual, 5th gear in an 84 Maxima FS5W71B has a .752 overdrive gear! This transmission "should" be good to 240ft/lbs of torque.

Everything but the input shaft gear and counter-shaft input gear and bearings are perfectly fine.

The spare Maxima 5speed transmission "to be rebuild" that came with the car:

2010-07-22%2015.15.12.jpg

2010-07-22%2013.45.30.jpg

If you hear the input shaft bearing going bad, fix it before it does this:

2010-07-22%2014.30.34.jpg

2010-07-22%2014.43.45.jpg

2010-07-22%2014.30.43.jpg

Got a couple quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax MTF to go back into the "new" shake-n-bake transmission today. Also doing an engine oil change as it probably needs it. lol.

Tomorrow I'll be tearing both transmissions apart and hopefully end up with one good trans with all new synchros and bearings.

I'm in motorsports technician school taking transmissions class, and have a Nissan service manual. Best place to work on it.

This is the spare transmission that came with the car. everything but the shift rods, adapter plate, 5th & reverse will be tossed out. has good 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears with countershaft (but not the input gear for countershaft)... anybody need these?

2010-08-12%2016.49.50.jpg

2010-08-12%2016.49.25.jpg

2010-08-12%2016.49.34.jpg

2010-08-12%2020.28.20.jpg

custom built 1.5" (38.4mm, .4mm oversize but it works) deep socket I TIGged up today

2010-08-12%2013.41.25.jpg

2010-08-12%2015.36.37.jpg

First TIG welds in 4 years... kinda meh.

2010-08-12%2015.36.20.jpg

Its for the big 38mm nut in the center of this picture

2010-07-22%2013.45.30.jpg

I spent the last 2 days reassembling this FS5W71B... learned a LOT.

Parts from both transmissions laid out into one transmission ready for cleaning and then assembly:

2010-08-17%2016.24.27.jpg

Fresh adapter plate bearings & cleaned up hardware:

2010-08-17%2016.23.35.jpg

"adapter plate" with new bearings and bolts staked back in place.

2010-08-17%2016.57.35.jpg

Stack started on mainshaft:

2010-08-17%2016.55.07.jpg

gearsets mostly back on with new synchros.

2010-08-17%2019.05.40.jpg

38mm nut torqued to 112 Foot pounds with my DEEEEP socket then staked on to the mainshaft:

2010-08-18%2009.46.08.jpg

After the shift rods got put on, I drove in the dual retaining pins and used safety wire wrapped through them two times just to ensure they don't go anywhere. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the safety wiring before the transmission went back into the case.

Permatex grey sealant was used on the case halves and front cover.

Transmission spins very smoothly and shifts very nice even with minimal oil from assembly.

Question:

What was the diameter of the front counter bearing on the car. Around '84 they were changed to 62mm and I was wondering if yours was included. I have an '85 CA18ET tranny that was and an unknown year 720 diesel tranny that was.

My info shows 0.864 5th gear for the Maxima. I'm more inclined to believe your manual as the Maxima was really a 280zx with a different body. Maybe count the teeth and be sure.Thanks for the great pictures.

mike

Question:

What was the diameter of the front counter bearing on the car. Around '84 they were changed to 62mm and I was wondering if yours was included. I have an '85 CA18ET tranny that was and an unknown year 720 diesel tranny that was.

My info shows 0.864 5th gear for the Maxima. I'm more inclined to believe your manual as the Maxima was really a 280zx with a different body. Maybe count the teeth and be sure.Thanks for the great pictures.

mike

The 1984 Nissan Maxima service manual listed a .752 5th gear.

I know reverse is different from another FS5W71 trans that I have seen(79 model, C type?)

The two FS5W71B transmissions I used had some slight differences.... the shift rods were different and would not work in the different adapter plates. I think 84 was an oddball year for the FS5W71B... the shift forks had dual roll pins (normally a racing modification done on the first gen Z cars) where the 82 transmission was like any other Z car transmission with single roll pins.

I have all the old bearings so I'll measure the countershaft bearing.

I used the adapter plate from the 84 transmission and the cases from the 82... The rebuild kit with synchros/ bearings was for an "84 maxima" from transtar.

I ended up using the 84 adapter plate with shift forks, mainshaft, cases, and 5th and reverse gears. I took 1st-4th and input shaft/corrosponding gear and countershaft off of the 82 transmission.

From my 1984 Nissan Maxima service manual, there are some additional parts on one of the shafts of the diesel FS5W71B that are not on the L24E version.

The 1984 Nissan Maxima service manual listed a .752 5th gear.

I know reverse is different from another FS5W71 trans that I have seen(79 model, C type?)

The first use of an FS5W71C was in the '84 300zx non turbo VG30 and was not used on any 4 cyl until '96.5

The two FS5W71B transmissions I used had some slight differences.... the shift rods were different and would not work in the different adapter plates. I think 84 was an oddball year for the FS5W71B... the shift forks had dual roll pins (normally a racing modification done on the first gen Z cars) where the 82 transmission was like any other Z car transmission with single roll pins.

Yeah some changes around '84-'85, that's why I asked about the 62mm counter bearing size. Some have a 16mm 1st/2nd shift rod size up from 14mm. The shift forks are also massive. Because the gears can't be made larger in diameter they have been made wider for strength with narrower synchros. The front cover plate has been modified to allow oil splash in at the top and further lube both front bearings.

From my 1984 Nissan Maxima service manual, there are some additional parts on one of the shafts of the diesel FS5W71B that are not on the L24E version.

I have an unknown SD 5spd. from a 720 so what were the additional parts???

^Paint looks nice.

I got a question about the transmission, in mine the gears are worn down more than what yours look like. Is it still worth rebuilding, or finding a better condition one to rebuild?

Thanks. :D

If the gear teeth themselves are worn, they need to be replaced. find another transmission and do a "shake-n-bake" or just use the second transmission.

So the paint is is almost done!

Sanded with 220 on a orbital sander:

DSCF9680.JPG

painted with 2 more coats, and wheels hand painted:

DSCF9683.JPG

WICKED COOL!!!!! FREAKING AWESOME!

DSCF9685.JPG

Stereo head unit and a little 75 watt amp for the 8" woofer getting installed as well, newer door need some welding.

Well the Maxima drove 375 miles today with no issues at all!

The transmission has finally completely self-machined all of the synchros and shifts smoothly.

It seems that the rear main seal is slightly leaking so I will have to look at that when the car is back in December...

• 3 months later...

Stuff on the list for a service on the Maxima coming up:

change oil + filter, repack wheel bearings(maybe replace rear bearings if they are bad enough, eek), grease the front end, mount seat sliders for the driver seat(mounted to the floor now), check on rear main seal (replacing that is going to have to wait till summer, or till money comes up for a gasket and bearing rebuild)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...