84 turbo Maxima: finishing up for the summer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When and where are your meets?

Ya I live out here.

we have had a couple already. Most are well north of the city, as that is where many of the guys live. I live west so it's always a long haul for me. Next one is big and alot of fun. At the horse parkin conyers for the July 4th celebration. They let us inside the festival and all the regular peaple come look and vote for there favorite old school japanese car.

March 6 - Fort Yargo State Park, Winder, GA

May 1 - Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA

July 3 - Georgia International Horse Park, Conyers, GA

September 4 - Mary Alice Park, Cumming, GA

November 6 - Fort Yargo State Park, Winder, GA

This will be the meet set up for 2010.

Engine bay plate:

2010-06-23%2008.54.51.jpg

the R180

2010-06-23%2009.07.06.jpg

fuel pump bolts sheared off, so just ground them flush and welded on some little bolts to make studs. Worked quite well. Also painted a good bit of the rear area with rustoleum undercoating. Just up and to the right of the far right stud, you can see the reinforcing plate so it'll never flex again.

2010-06-23%2010.51.06.jpg

we have had a couple already. Most are well north of the city, as that is where many of the guys live. I live west so it's always a long haul for me. Next one is big and alot of fun. At the horse parkin conyers for the July 4th celebration. They let us inside the festival and all the regular peaple come look and vote for there favorite old school japanese car.

March 6 - Fort Yargo State Park, Winder, GA

May 1 - Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA

July 3 - Georgia International Horse Park, Conyers, GA

September 4 - Mary Alice Park, Cumming, GA

November 6 - Fort Yargo State Park, Winder, GA

This will be the meet set up for 2010.

Awesome, I'll see if we can make it to the next one. :-)

diagnosis is:

Rear end still goes clunk, but it doesn't go ka clunk like it did.

I believe the crossmember is flexing and the snout of the differential is hitting something on the underbody. The crossmember seems way too flexible so I may have to pull that and do something drastic to it.

Yo Dan i'm glad you picked this up! So we will have a handful of maximas in Atlanta old school scene... mine yours and a maxima wagon that may have a new owner soon .. and all will be turbo pending sale and swap of the other one.... bwahah!

diagnosis is:

Rear end still goes clunk, but it doesn't go ka clunk like it did.

I believe the crossmember is flexing and the snout of the differential is hitting something on the underbody. The crossmember seems way too flexible so I may have to pull that and do something drastic to it.

yeah stock suspension is soft as hell in the back per that video lol

This maxima is stiffer than my Z was.... LOL!

IDK what springs are in the back of Matilda(the name for this maxima), but it has 250Lb/in eibachs in the front. illuminas are set at 2 and its pretty stiff. May look at seeing if I can click the rears down one click...

Went to pullapart today since they got an 84 Maxima yesterday and was looking for a front left fender.... and the front left fender was all mushed up.

Got another MN47 head though..... like I need any more cylinder heads.

May go back and get the rear cross-member since the one in Matilda is rusty and kinda messed up.

I've got a bit of experience with rustoleum, so here goes!

Have a spare hood, trunk, and doors for the car so we are painting them first.

This is just a base coat that will be ~50% sanded back down to see if we have any low/high spots.

I welded up a tiny little rust hole in the front of the hood, laid a very skim layer of bondo, and am in process of painting.

2010-07-07%2010.43.26.jpg

Got the Girlfriend to work sanding off the clear coat with a random orbit sander with 150 grit paper :

2010-07-05%2014.09.20.jpg

Thankfully this hood is quite straight. 2010-07-07%2013.16.36.jpg

For those of you that do not know about painting with rustoleum,

use Rustoleum Professional, and a high density foam roller, and thin the paint with about 15%-20% mineral spirits.

When you roll the paint, there will be little bubbles in the paint. If it takes more than a few seconds for the bubbles to pop, you need more thinner.

Here is what my previous rustoleum painting/polishing project looked like on the old 260z:

As painted:

b65534824.jpg

Wet sanded and polished with rather coarse aluminum polish:

b92515592.jpg

b92515035.jpg

b50524279.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Put my old 260z valve cover on the Maxima today.

o71648363.jpg

Prismatic black starts as a coat of chrome powedercoat, then its baked... then the prismatic layer and bake it... then clear powder. My old block just got the first two layers, as clear isn't really necessary on a block. LOL

2010-07-28%2015.39.52.jpg

Need to powdercoat some other stuff now. lol