Went for a drive.

I was off work this week so when driving by the office I saw my boss was in cleaning up his desk. I stopped to tell him that I would in fact be in Mon and that they didn't need to call someone to fill in. No problem, so he says we should take his new mid life crisis car for a spin. Well I'm very down with that, so outside we go and he insists that I drive. (he has the keyless ignition and push button start) I'm a little nervous backing it out but once moving, it all went away. It's a silver '08 Corvette!

It takes about 10 minutes to get 'out of town' and onto the by pass highway that leads to the big inland island highway and I enter it in second and let it bark a bit... second gear! and suddenly my weight almost doubles in the seat and almost instantly over 100kph in an 80 zone so I tone it down and drive to the freeway. On ramp in second and..... stretch her legs!!!! The exhaust sound is overpowering! Squashed in the seat! Don't dare take mys off the road to look at the tach. Third gear feels like second! Incredible crushing feeling! Fourth! Is there no end to the acceleration? The road is open ahead and I find the tach... only 4,500 and the roar of the exhaust and wind is fabulous. All too quickly 5K,... 5.5K ... 5,800 and grab 5th gear. It's not my car and I don't think it would be cool to make your boss have to ask you to slow down laugh.gif the speedo is stopped at 200kpm as we forgot to toggle the mph scale. I slow down and the speedo still hasn't started reading below 200. We come up behind a couple of cars and my boss reaches over and switches it over as we slow. I follow the cars ahead at about 70 (mph now) for a while but what's the fun in that? So down into 4th and signal and pull out into the fast lane and ... peg it! When I passed the front car we were already over 120 and my boss waves at them out the window and says bye bye. We take the north by pass back into town and test out the traction a few times. From a rolling start the tires can't hope to hold the torque and traction control keeps them from spinning madly but spinning all the same with a nice screech all through 1st. The rest of the ride back was on roads not up to driving fast on so I got to get the feel of the steering and brakes. Really liked the brakes!

Back at the office I thank Ian and jump in my 710 automatic for the ride home. My hands start to shake slightly.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not my car and I don't think it would be cool to make your boss have to ask you to slow down laugh.gif

Haha ..... :lol: ...... How did the 710 feel after that drive? .......

I am worried you might show up to Canby in a silver Vette......... .. or start thinking about motor swaps,,,,, the stock KA24DE can spin the tires pretty easy,, ,

and you can get big brakes too

Haha ..... :lol: ...... How did the 710 feel after that drive? .......

It felt... slo........ ish. I don't care, it was a fun ride. I'm retro-actively adding it to my bucket list and crossing it off. laugh.gif

It felt... slo........ ish. I don't care, it was a fun ride. I'm retro-actively adding it to my bucket list and crossing it off. laugh.gif

Yes, I too have had a ride in a few high hp Corvettes, and they are one of the few GM cars I would consider owning. My uncle races a later model Z06, and one of our local faster fellows drives a newer one. Impressive cars.

Yes. It had this incredible exhaust that starts to bark once you get really on her. I found there is a performance exhaust option on the convertibles. Quiet at low speed but: "If you're after every last bit of power from the LS3 V8 , you'll want to consider the new, optional, Z06-style exhaust system. At maximum load, butterfly valves open in two of the four exhaust runners to reduce back pressure, and the result is six more hp and 4 pound-feet of torque, for a total of 436 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque.

Top speed is a cool 190 mph.

Yes. It had this incredible exhaust that starts to bark once you get really on her. I found there is a performance exhaust option on the convertibles. Quiet at low speed but: "If you're after every last bit of power from the LS3 V8 , you'll want to consider the new, optional, Z06-style exhaust system. At maximum load, butterfly valves open in two of the four exhaust runners to reduce back pressure, and the result is six more hp and 4 pound-feet of torque, for a total of 436 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque.

Top speed is a cool 190 mph.

Oh yeah!

Guest 510kamikazifreak

:o

Mike you speeded :lol:

Haha drive it likes a car is meant to be "driven" the max speed is a governor is all :lol: :hyper: :thumbup:

Rentals are the mostest fun doing this :blush:

Banff 8 hrs with stops from North Van :ninja:

I aint gonna post the governor limit tho :devil: :sneaky:

Mike you speeded :lol:

What ever 5,800 or so is in 4th gear and a small bark in 5th. Suddenly I realized that I was going twice as fast as the other cars. Tunnel vision was because my eyeballs were in the back of my scull. Most fun I ever had with my clothes on.laugh.gif

Guest 510kamikazifreak

What ever 5,800 or so is in 4th gear and a small bark in 5th. Suddenly I realized that I was going twice as fast as the other cars. Tunnel vision was because my eyeballs were in the back of my scull. Most fun I ever had with my clothes on.laugh.gif

Fun aint it :cool: :P

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Crappy vid but note how fuckin' fast it passes and in a few seconds it's a blur...

:cool:

Right foot is always heavier for some reason? :D

Sounds like a fun ride, Mike. The LS motor is a torque monster. I love the LS power. I get that thrill every time I drive my 240Z. Third gear is amazing. 4th gear at 6000 rpms starts to get unnerving. The 240Z needs an air dam to keep the front end from feeling floaty over 120mph.

All that and 30MPG too.

I love my japanese corvette.

Good times Mike :thumbup: My mom had a 77 that I got to drive from time to time. I loved it. She was a beauty and you sure got a lot of looks in her. I was never realy impressed with the power though (auto) and my lowered 620 handled better! The new ones are a super car for sure. I guess it's like compairing a stock 510 to a stock skyline? I guess you didn't see me on the highway? drove to port to pick up my 620 cab/fenders/doors/hood. I think I got more looks then when I drove the old vet lol.

P6050080-1.jpg

P6050079.jpg

P6050078.jpg

Sounds like a fun ride, Mike. The LS motor is a torque monster. I love the LS power. I get that thrill every time I drive my 240Z. Third gear is amazing. 4th gear at 6000 rpms starts to get unnerving. The 240Z needs an air dam to keep the front end from feeling floaty over 120mph.

All that and 30MPG too.

I love my japanese corvette.

:D ---> IDK mine felt pretty damn smooth at 115 :P :lol: ( which isn't very fast at all , feels like what is 80-90ish now :lol: )

datzenmike all I gots to say is :thumbup: RESPECT ! :D ( ohhhh and thanks for being that asshole we all swear at as they scream by for a few minutes :rofl: )

I was going to a store to pick up something for Canby and had to drive past the office. Saw my boss's car and went in. He was working on a Saturday. So.... I guess it didn't take much for him to ask me. He did mention that I should take it for a drive when he bought it a month ago in Pheonix and drove it home. I thought 'yeah sure, that'll happen' Hell I would have settled for just a ride. Who wouldn't want to be out and about.

Skib this one felt like that but not at that speed.