'68 roadster... question about custom brake lines (spriso 300zxtt conversion)

well, I have almost everything i need to do my brake swap. I am using the '82 200sx disc brakes in the back, '90 300zx z32tt brakes for the front, and a 280z brake master cylinder. the only things i still need information about are the brake lines... If someone could post a picture or two of how they routed the lines in a similar setup, i would appreciate that. I also need to know what rubber lines people are using, and how they set them up. I am thinking about replacing all the solid lines it the car, but i have never done this before, so i am worried about doing something wrong and blowing out a line... a co-worker said i need to double flare the brake lines, and it is very difficult to do. any clarification about this would help, and probably lower my stress levels!

the other thing i am worried about is the brake bias. do i need an adjustable proportioning valve to make this work properly? also, will the stock distribution block work, or should i get another?

I have never done anything like this before, so i am using this as a learning experience.

thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about replacing all the solid lines it the car, but i have never done this before, so i am worried about doing something wrong and blowing out a line... a co-worker said i need to double flare the brake lines, and it is very difficult to do.

I have never done anything like this before

search on the realm under 'the bronze'.

Byron redid all his lines (a 510) but should provide sufficient information for your task.

IIRC double flaring was not necessary, but a quality flare tool IS!

• 3 weeks later...

Tomakze

use a wilwood prop valve to reduce flow to rear. wilwood part number 260-8419

To build your own hoses use these Earls part numbers from

www.ANplumbing.com

592032 your male adapter for caliper

609203 your 90 degree hose end

600103 your straight hose end

6000031 your hose

640603 mates to nissan line if it is metric

640503 mates to nissan line if it is s.a.e

Neely

well, I have almost everything i need to do my brake swap. I am using the '82 200sx disc brakes in the back, '90 300zx z32tt brakes for the front, and a 280z brake master cylinder. the only things i still need information about are the brake lines... If someone could post a picture or two of how they routed the lines in a similar setup, i would appreciate that. I also need to know what rubber lines people are using, and how they set them up. I am thinking about replacing all the solid lines it the car, but i have never done this before, so i am worried about doing something wrong and blowing out a line... a co-worker said i need to double flare the brake lines, and it is very difficult to do. any clarification about this would help, and probably lower my stress levels!

the other thing i am worried about is the brake bias. do i need an adjustable proportioning valve to make this work properly? also, will the stock distribution block work, or should i get another?

I have never done anything like this before, so i am using this as a learning experience.

thanks in advance!

You can buy pre-assembled lengths of hard tubing from NAPA or other autoparts stores. Make sure you get the tubing with metric nuts on it M10x1.0 inverted flare.

That way you dont have to flare anything yourself. I did my whole car with this stuff and it works great. They sell couplers if you have to attach one hard tube to another. Flaring your own tubing 80% of the time results in leaks.

Also, dont run rubber brake lines. Use teflon stainless braided line. Give the kind people at Techna-fit a call for the proper fittings at a good price.

I would argue that you dont necessarily need a proportioning valve on the rears, but that is up to you. It is only useful if you are getting too much rear braking.

thanks guys! I have stainless steel braided brake lines now for the front, and now i just need to figure out the rear line. That is no big deal, once i have everything together i will just do a measurement. as for the hard lines, i was waiting for Spriso to post some pictures of how they route their lines on their cars, as they simplify it quite a lot. Spriso brake setups are super clean, and i want to duplicate their layout. I dont think i have the correct tools to double flare the lines though... ive never done that, so i dont even know what is involved. the premade lines from napa may not be a bad idea... that is if i can get the lengths correct.

as for the proportioning valve, I am hoping because i am using such small calipers in the rear i might be ok without one, but i dont really know... i suppose when it is finished, i will just have to slam on the brakes and find out!

and Neeley, thank you so much, i know that will be very helpful!!!

I am still very curious if anyone has any pictures of how the routed their brake lines... that would be very helpful to me!!!