GM alternator

I see people using the many different GM alternators

Most are using the Saturn about 96 model year. But i see one has to mod the alternator adjust top that holds the alt out to the adjustment arm.

The datsunstore has a 105 amp with the correct bolt adjustment part in the right spot. If one know what model this comes out of then we and others dont have to splice/rig the adjustment arm. More of a direct bolt in.

HRH are you the one that works at NAPA can you research this?What vehicle this come out of.

as for the instruction from (www.datsunstore)the ad it says just unplug the old VR reg connector . I dont know if this is true on a 510 and other vehicles or not.It does not say to jumper the blk/red and yellow/wht wires as most conversions

http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1?osCsid=4da24658578a2043a82f9c23c3920e5e

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you can't use you fan belt tells me that it does not line up perfectly. It looks like a GM unit from '70s and up. Likely for top of the line Olds, Cadillac, Buick, Camper Special Trucks and Police car/Taxi or anything with high draw. This is where I would start looking first.

• 1 month later...

so on both of those write ups there on 280z motors which i think have different lower water outlet's then my l16 has. i swear there used to be a write up that said i could use the lower outlet from the inline 6 on my l16 and it would clear the larger diameter alternator. but i cant find it anywhere i searched for the better part of the day and in the general discussion section under the look here first topic the link for the gm alternator swap doesn't work anymore. all i want to know is if the lower water outlet is the same mounting patern as my l16 except a differnt angle on the lower radiator hose to clear the bigger alternator

• 1 month later...

so on both of those write ups there on 280z motors which i think have different lower water outlet's then my l16 has. i swear there used to be a write up that said i could use the lower outlet from the inline 6 on my l16 and it would clear the larger diameter alternator. but i cant find it anywhere i searched for the better part of the day and in the general discussion section under the look here first topic the link for the gm alternator swap doesn't work anymore. all i want to know is if the lower water outlet is the same mounting patern as my l16 except a differnt angle on the lower radiator hose to clear the bigger alternator

its on write ups under 90 amp alternator L series swap and says their interchangeable. just read that one.

• 4 years later...

I did this mod. I used the Datsun alt mount and added parts of Chevy brackets to allow it to adjust .

I'll try to post pictures. For the alignment. I just used a pricision straightedge to and banked it of the crank pulley . If anyone needs a full detaied write up and procedure. Please Pm me and I'll get to it.

My resion for the mod was , note affording voltage regs. And my direction is to cleane up the engine bay.

• Like 1