210's UNITE!!!!!!!!!

Capital15

Yes, I'm familiar with ARA, I worked for them for a period of time before going to work for a Datsun dealer as an AC tech.

I hate do disagree with you DF, but a number of the big 3 manufacturers installed AC in vehicles using the York compressors. And I never said  the compressor was made by Nissan.

Colourbox has a factory cast iron bracket from Nissan for a 210 that bolts to a York compressor in her AC thread. How do you explain that? 

ARA never made cast iron brackets and neither did the other manufactures of aftermarket automotive AC units like Frigikar, Frigking, Mark IV. They all used flat stock steel plate.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG it takes forever to log in lately! Anyway, parts catalog lists a Hitachi and a Yoke for the 210. I'm assuming that isn't aftermarket if it's in there but I really wouldn't know. That parts book is on crack sometimes. Like when it gives same part number for a 4 door window as a 2 door window and we know that shit ain't right.

I know a couple of fabricators but since I don't even know what's involved in that I'm figuring it takes time cause, you know, we're dealing with people.

I'm putting this in Stanley soon so that 510 compressor will be just fine.

8oOFpL9.jpg

Ha ha! I kid!

But I promise I will get this Sanden at a later time cause it seems like everyone agrees it's the way to go. So I dood it.

I hate do disagree with you DF, but a number of the big 3 manufacturers installed AC in vehicles using the York compressors.

Sorry, I was referencing strictly Datsuns. I am fully aware some American companies used them.  :thumbup:

As I recall, GM and Ford (maybe even Dodge?) also had OE compressors of very similar design. 

Colourbox has a factory cast iron bracket from Nissan for a 210 that bolts to a York compressor in her AC thread. How do you explain that? 

ARA never made cast iron brackets and neither did the other manufactures of aftermarket automotive AC units like Frigikar, Frigking, Mark IV. They all used flat stock steel plate.

Oh really? I did not know/see that. I have never seen one myself, as all the Datsuns I've worked on with "York" AC had steel brackets. Kooky...

I have actually seen aftermarket AC companies make cast brackets, though they are usually cast aluminum, not iron. I have a few cast aluminum Sanden brackets for the L20b, as well as plate steel brackets for Ls and As. . 

After thinking on it some more, instead of fabricating a bracket, I would suggest buying something like this and just redrill the mounting holes to suit the A14/A15.

https://nostalgicac.com/datsun-240z-260z-280z-compressor-upgrade-kit.html

This might work depending if she has a smog pump to contend with. Being an 80 Ca vehicle I would think it would have a smog pump.

Or, $60 for an adapter to bolt the Sanden 508 to a York bracket...   :P

https://www.vintageair.com/brackets/?subcat1=Universal&subcat2=Compressor

15815-VUB.jpg

You might want to look up the orig cast iron bracket in her AC thread before recommending this.

The orig bracket is a knarly thing, not quite as bad as the Nissan 620 cast iron bracket.

That’s why Colour Box was utilizing her Nissan manuals vs. someone’s old feeble memory like mine, or some’s Memory who believes they’ve seen it all ;)

DatsunFreak is correct in his assessment of aftermarket AC units vs, Nissan beginning in the early 80’s. Early 70’s Datsuns did not come with AC installed and was done at the Dealer by their techs, or subbed out to local AC shops, some being ARA shops.

But some early Datsun AC units did use the York compressors too and do show up in some Nissan service manuals. Later model Datsun branded vehicles did come across the pond with AC installed at the mfgr plant. I get this vrbal history from Fontana Datsun Dealership George Goespel at the real SWDP BBQ in Fontana CA. Nissan chartered a entire plane and flew him and his wife and other dealership owners to the plant in Japan for a couple weeks of plant tours and japan trips. this is why I try to make that BBQ every year to hear his Datsun experiences and aDatton history!

I also have a handful of the parts diagrams for different Datsun models from my ARA days.

There are a number of clear indicators to distinguish aftermarket AC units from Nissan. Like the plate steel mounting brackets vs, Nissan’s cast iron brackets, and the 620 bracket weighs nearly 15 lbs!

This might work depending if she has a smog pump to contend with. Being an 80 Ca vehicle I would think it would have a smog pump.

Stanley is a 1981 yo! July to be exact. And yeah, I have to get him smogged every two years. So sick of it.

That explains why I've never seen what you were talking about...   ^_^

Here it is: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/70422-how-to-make-a-ghetto-ac-aka-ghetto-breeze-600/?p=1508297

I had more photos of everything pulled from that car but I don't know if I still have them.

That’s why Colour Box was utilizing her Nissan manuals vs. someone’s old feeble memory like mine, or some’s Memory who believes they’ve seen it all ;)

DatsunFreak is correct in his assessment of aftermarket AC units vs, Nissan beginning in the early 80’s. Early 70’s Datsuns did not come with AC installed and was done at the Dealer by their techs, or subbed out to local AC shops, some being ARA shops.

But some early Datsun AC units did use the York compressors too and do show up in some Nissan service manuals. Later model Datsun branded vehicles did come across the pond with AC installed at the mfgr plant. I get this vrbal history from Fontana Datsun Dealership George Goespel at the real SWDP BBQ in Fontana CA. Nissan chartered a entire plane and flew him and his wife and other dealership owners to the plant in Japan for a couple weeks of plant tours and japan trips. this is why I try to make that BBQ every year to hear his Datsun experiences and aDatton history!

I also have a handful of the parts diagrams for different Datsun models from my ARA days.

There are a number of clear indicators to distinguish aftermarket AC units from Nissan. Like the plate steel mounting brackets vs, Nissan’s cast iron brackets, and the 620 bracket weighs nearly 15 lbs!

One of the guys happened upon a 210 a/c installer manual from some cat on ebay. Lucky for me. Even has all the part numbers. Pretty helpful....not that I doubt your memories at all (much) :D

lhC4H10.jpg

You should’ve thrown them over here!

You have to be the first person since 1982 to want to do this...   ^_^

On most B210/B310s, AC is just extra weight and it's costing you horsepower so everyone ditches it...

Personally, and this is probably why I am beating the Sanden drum so hard, I would try to upgrade every single component of the system to maximize efficiency and reduce weight. Not be looking for good functional stock components. 

And I'd be swapping in a bigger engine (L16/L18/Z20) to help offset the weight gain/power loss.   :lol:

Let's just say Stanley would like you as an owner more than he'd like me. I'd be modifying the hell out of it...   :rofl:

Getting another engine and probably tranny may be in my future but I still gotta pass smog so whatever I get under the hood has to pass emissions. That’s my one biggest problem. And since the Trump admin seems hell bent on killing our air and water maybe we can get the 30 year law passed so it won’t be a problem anymore.

Meanwhile, chatted with my mechanic this morning and there was some miscommunication somewhere and the compressor place didn’t have one like they said. They’d have to rebuild mine so we scrapped that idea and the Sanden it is. He can get a bracket made. He’s got a guy that fabricates parts for him all the time.

Stanley loves me no matter what. Except that one time whe he was in the shop and I had to use a rental to get to school. He had all kinds of pep going home but when he saw the rental in the driveway he got mad at me. Went to drive him to school and all the pep was gone. Had to talk it out. He was better after that. I swear that car has attitude not unlike his owner :)

• Like 1

How do I know which one to get? Found a website that lists a bunch of different ones :w00t:

Sanden SD 508 Compressor
    •    6-Groove
    •    7-Groove
    •    Double V-Groove
    •    Single Wide Groove
Sanden SD 508 Rear Exit Compressor
    •    7-Groove
    •    Double V-Groove

How do I know which one to get? Found a website that lists a bunch of different ones :w00t:

Sanden SD 508 Compressor

•    6-Groove

•    7-Groove

•    Double V-Groove

•    Single Wide Groove

Sanden SD 508 Rear Exit Compressor

•    7-Groove

•    Double V-Groove

You want double V for sure, that way the stock style V belts work. As for top exit or rear exit, that's a better question for the guy doing the install. ;)

• Like 1

So turns out the company that was going to rebuild my compressor had Sanden compressors so my mechanic picked one up. He got it in this weekend and everything is working. He had to change out some belts again and make some hoses but he said he was loving the project cause he likes when he can do all that. I'm more than happy to oblige. He said it’s not as cold as he likes it so he’s working on that but otherwise he’s happy. If he’s happy I’m happy cause he’s picky like I am. This is so exciting! :frantics:  I just can't stand it! Next will be to get the NOS fender on and a repaint.

• Like 1

Colour Box gets chilly in the summer time! Success at last!

Hopefully he installed a new receiver drier? That could contribute to it not being as cold as it should be.

Remind him your evaporator is nearly 40 year old technology compared to today's standards! It won't quite as  nice as modern, but far better than the Ghetto breeze ;)

It needed a new drier too. We had talked about that initially when it was thought that company had another compressor. He’s on it. He knows how to fix old cars which is why I take Stanley to him. Shops these days are all about plugging your car in to see what’s wrong with it. Can’t do that with Stanley. I’m so freaking giddy right now :frantics:

• Like 1

Colour Box gets chilly in the summer time! Success at last!

Hopefully he installed a new receiver drier? That could contribute to it not being as cold as it should be.

Remind him your evaporator is nearly 40 year old technology compared to today's standards! It won't quite as  nice as modern, but far better than the Ghetto breeze ;)

I just went down there on my lunch break to check it out cause I was dying to see/feel the air. It is blowing a little warm but the lines are cool. He can't exactly follow factory freon allowance so he said he's been adding a little at a time to make sure he doesn't go too far. He 's not sure if there's anything that might not be functioning correctly just yet. He thinks it might be the heater not completely shutting down when the a/c is flipped on. He's still working on it.

No, please, keep throwing out the suggestions. It does have the old school condenser but that thing is getting cold too. But like my mechanic said he's been easing the freon in and adding bit by bit cause he can't go by factory standards so that could be a factor and I had to bring him other heater control units that I was hording because the switch that was in Stanley wasn't working quite right for the a/c and the switch that was pulled from the donor car did not work. But I don't think it's the switch doing it but what do I know. He'll get it narrowed down but I did ask if he thought I needed a new condenser and he said he didn't know yet. He's checking all possibilities. So he'll figure it out but if it turns out that's the problem then we'll get one. The compressor and drier only cost $159. That's not bad. I haven't thrown out too much money yet.

I’m actually quite the opposite. I don’t want to cheap out on Stanley. Just turned out the compressor was cheap. I was expecting another $100 at least. Now I’m trying to find a place to paint the new fender without charging an ass ton cuz it needs to be cut and I know full well that even though I give them a paint code it won’t match so I’ll have to get the whole car painted. Trying to find a new place is making me nervous. People don’t take pride in their work anymore. The mess up Stanley and I will yank them from over the counter.

• Like 1