210's UNITE!!!!!!!!!

Capital15

datb210sun

The trans is in ATL if you have some way to go get it....you are welcome to buy it.

I probably could arrange shipping if you needed to ship it.

I'm not worried about selling it. Just FYI if you wanted it.

Datsunfreak I did not forget the stuff you wanted back. Just every time I am there I am so pissed off I forget lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got some bumper ends from Draker (thanks dude!) that I'm now reconditioning. They were pretty rusty and got as much off as I could. Filled in the scratches and holes and then painted. Because I suck ass at painting I have to redo two of them. I always get too close so I got spray spots. But the other two look fantastic!

6DQLZBC.jpg

kyXRZmn.jpg

lMcF0Yt.jpg

HF8a4ao.jpg

• Like 1

Which 5spd trans you use? 63A? 

Yes. 

have an auto and Wana swap it out too. Hopefully, someone has a write up.

It is fairly easy,if you have a 63A. Driveshaft is the same, mounts are same/similar, it was very straightforward. 

One Saturday morning I swapped the pedals, added a clutch master, hard line, solf line, and clutch slave. Drove it to a buddy's shop with a lift with the 63A in the trunk. Put it on the lift, removed the auto, swapped flywheels, bolt on clutch, put in new trans,, fit up clutch slave and bleed. Job done. 

Yes.

It is fairly easy,if you have a 63A. Driveshaft is the same, mounts are same/similar, it was very straightforward.

One Saturday morning I swapped the pedals, added a clutch master, hard line, solf line, and clutch slave. Drove it to a buddy's shop with a lift with the 63A in the trunk. Put it on the lift, removed the auto, swapped flywheels, bolt on clutch, put in new trans,, fit up clutch slave and bleed. Job done.

Don't have to do anything to the subframe?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know of any aftermarket a/c compressors that will work in the 210? My mechanic has hit another snag in the a/c saga. Compressor is bad :crying:  He's looking to see what he can find but meanwhile I thought I'd ask here in case someone knows.

I found a remanufactured orig Hitachi compressor for my 80 200sx on EBay from the remanufacturer Four Seasons for just under $200 including shipping. They have a tech support line where you can actually speak to a helpful tech, after waiting on hold. But I don’t currently know where that number is. Is yours a hitachi?

I don't remember what it was. I saw those today but I don't think any were compatible with the 210. I did get a lead on a place that can rebuild it. Would be nice to find a new one though. I could call them I suppose and see if they have one. Would be easier than trying to figure it out on the stupid chart on ebay. Take all day to do that.

Easy way to do this:

Get the orig compressor mfgr name and model # from your mechanic

Google that. You’ll be exremely lucky to find a new compressor, but i’ll Bet there’s could be one out there somewhere if you wait long enough . I doubt Nissanpartsdeal.co still has one, but worth checking.

You’ll prob have to get one from a remanufacturer. What’s wrong w yours? Mech prob? Bearing noise? Or jus leaks Freon?

A really good specialty automotive AC place can reseal them, rebuilding is a prob, except by a remanufacturer.

Robert who hosts the IE meet has an AC guy he liked in... Chino?

I don't want to wait forever on something that may not turn up. None of the Nissan sites have any compressors. I looked.

My mechanic said he turned it on and all was ok then suddenly it started making a bad noise. He's going to call up the place I gave him and see what they want to rebuild.

Do you have the info for the AC guy in Chino? I don't know Robert. Might be another avenue to look into.

F.Y.I.  Many times the clutch bearing is what dies on a compressor. If it is only that making the noise, it should be an easy fix, IF a qualified AC guy can find a seal and a bearing for it. A lot of AC guys like component replacement vs. rebuilding or resealing them because a technician can't touch AC seals with bare hands, otherwise they leak.

If the growling noise is internal, be prepared to find a whole new or remanufactured compressor. Either way, you'll need to get the compressor mfg name and model of the compressor from your mechanic, in order for the AC guy to research if he can get parts or not.

I called my mechanic this morning. The place has a new one which is good. I will be on the lookout for your email. I will definitely keep that in mind. The car isn't my daily anymore so I'm not too concerned but if it does turn out to be a giant pain I will look into datsunfreak's suggestion. Maybe Datrod can make me a bracket. He machines stuff all the time. Thanks guys! I always appreciate the info. I'll bring up the Sanden 508 to my mechanic. Maybe we'll start the search anyway. There was actually a guy at JCCS last year that was giving me tips on a/c. I knew I should've wrote it down cause my memory ain't for shit.

Actually I'm seeing some on ebay. Are they all the same or are there variations? 

Not really. Either 508 or 510 (bigger version).

Basically the York piston compressor was the go to aftermarket option in the 70s and early 80s, while the rotary Sanden 508 took it's place as the go to aftermarket option from the late 80s until today.

They are cheap (usually around $225-250 new), easy to get, and they work great

The York is, quite frankly, crap.  :rofl:

They are hard to fix and/or get parts for, they are crazy heavy, and very inefficient. 

• Like 1

Not really. Either 508 or 510 (bigger version).

Basically the York piston compressor was the go to aftermarket option in the 70s and early 80s, while the rotary Sanden 508 took it's place as the go to aftermarket option from the late 80s until today.

They are cheap (usually around $225-250 new), easy to get, and they work great

The York is, quite frankly, crap.  :rofl:

They are hard to fix and/or get parts for, they are crazy heavy, and very inefficient.

The bigger 510 compressor would easily be overkill, and not be worth extra cost for an 80’ 210 if they charge more for it. Not sure if it uses the same mounting pattern?

York compressors were installed on numerous user vehicles new, and commercial trucks starting in the late 60 by the car manufacturers including Datsun in early 70’s, as it was one of a just few comp mfgrs then. Yorks were very effective in small to med cars, but many early evaporators could not cool large passenger compartments like a 510 wagon, vans, big station wagons, etc. and you,d only feel cool air going by the driver and shotgun passenger. Folks in the back would never cool off.

Many York’s were Poorly matched with evaporators that were not capable or dependable, but most were not dependable because of hose barb hose fittings with hose clamps, and then when leaking, then never serviced. Untrained techs repairing new ac units used bare hands, causing new seals to leak right away. York’s created a lot of vibration issues, especially on loose mounts on aluminum support mounting bolts causing broken bolts in early Datsuns. York’s earned a fast reputation for poor functionality, when it was really a comedy of errors that gave them the bad rep, like the Corvair.

York’s were a standard for a couple decades, and I still see some working today. I repaired and serviced them in the early 70’s at a multi European car dealership. Parts were prolific, easy to source, and the units easy to Easy to access and service.

But, when they developed a bearing or seal issue, they were usually tossed by owners due to a high compressor replacement price vs repair. This was due to lack of success by mechanics repairing Freon components. Thus a high repair bill, and most folks just didn’t repair it or simply disabled the entire AC unit.

Z’s and my 80 SX were already using Hitachi compressors by late 70’s, Sanden had taken over the aftermarket ac industry by 80, and York’s technology was already dying fast in 75-76.

DatsunFreak is quite right about the difficulty finding parts for the York today, but I still see Four Seasons and other remanfgrs selling refurbed Units on eBay.

If someone wants ac in their part time Datsun, an orig York could last them the life of the vehicle if the owner only uses AC 3x’s a year in the 1,000 miles they might drive their prize Show baby per year.

if the owner uses his Datto as a DD needing AC in So Cal heat or AZ every day, i’d Find a fabricator to make a new comp mount bracket and install a rotary Sanden compressor like DFreak says for better functionality and dependability.

• Like 1

I will most definitely look into it. The compressor I’m getting is $250 which isn’t bad. I will be chatting with my mechanic about the Sanden and will give him all of your info. He also knows a machinist so that guy might able to make the bracket. Since Stanley isn’t my DD and I only take him out early mornings before all the fools wake up I think I’m ok going stock for now. But I will look into Sanden and getting a bracket in the meantime. The bracket might by the time issue. I was hoping to make JCCS again this hear. I still have to get the fender trim put on the NOS fender I found and then have Stanley painted one last time (I hope).

Thanks again guys for all of the info. I greatly appreciate it and I’ll def be looking into Sanden.

Stock is important to me in the look but under the hood is a whole other deal. As parts become harder to find I may have no choice but to, at some point, change everything but for functionality right now I'm totally open to something that will work better. So I will for sure be looking into what it will take to get that compressor and a bracket made. Waiting for my mechanic to get back to me so we can chat about it. I want to take a road trip one of these days with Stanley and if it's better to have the Sanden then I will do it. But while I'm working out a bracket I can at least have a/c until then.

A road trip with a York would not kill it or Stanley :thumbup:   Just be sure your mech installs a fan shroud if you don't already have one,  I just got my 1980 and 81 service bulletins and they both recommend the fan shroud.  And for sure check the water pump and clutch fan, they are both relatively cheap if you haven't done them previously. If not, might want to do it while you're in it. Over heating is a car killer.   

And... the York compressor would be a stock Nissan feature, all 210 period correct, not a later modification or upgrade... if you happen to like true originality.

Actually, it wouldn't be.. It's not "stock", and it wasn't manufactured or installed by Nissan. It was an aftermarket addition made by the dealer.

The AC is not original to the car (or really any Japanese car of the era) when it was built. It came in a box, usually in the trunk of the car, and was installed by a dealer tech as soon as the dealer took possession. The majority of the interior components (the evap box and controls) were supplied by ARA, the compressor by York, and the other bits by whoever gave ARA the cheapest bid.  

And while a hell of a lot more modern/efficient than a York, a Sanden is still just inside the window of "period correct" for her car. 

Stock is important to me 

See above. 

So I will for sure be looking into what it will take to get that compressor and a bracket made. 

We've made a few from just flat steel stock. Not tough for anyone who is decent at fabrication. 

The bigger 510 compressor would easily be overkill, and not be worth extra cost for an 80’ 210 if they charge more for it. Not sure if it uses the same mounting pattern?

Z’s and my 80 SX were already using Hitachi compressors by late 70’s, Sanden had taken over the aftermarket ac industry by 80, and York’s technology was already dying fast in 75-76.

Two other things...

Yes, 510 uses the same mounts, but is physically larger, heavier, and WAY overkill for a 210. It's really for Blazers, Suburbans, and big old land yachts. 

Also, the Hitachi compressor is the tipoff for factory installed AC systems. Yorks were only used on aftermarket AC installs.