Capital15

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to change the subject-

I, own a 1976 b210 that would normally require smog certification every two years to register it in California.  After some research, on the CA DMV website, I found that my car qualifies to be registered as a 'Historical Vehicle.'  One of the requirements is that the vehicle should be manufactured after 1922 and is older than 25 years.  This enables a smog exemption.  I am glad to have found this option.  Basically all you pay is the standard registration fees that normally apply and a $25 'Historical Vehicle' license plate set.  Sweet deal guys!  Also, there was no vehicle inspection.  Keep in mind that this option is intended for a exhibition vehicle that is street legal.  I think we would all agree that we exhibit our vehicles every time we drive them.

-Octavio

Fair warning; The boys in blue may have a different opinion.   ;)

In regards to the DMV and the 'boys in blue'-  BiB follow the ruling of the DMV.  Nothing else.  The 'Historic Vehicle' plate is, I think, intended for exhibition vehicles that ride on the road that is just the connections and logic I have put together.  There is no mile limitation or anything.  Nothing to make the BiB gripe about.  

CA DMV website Historical Vehicle link.  

Plus, I bet they wouldn't even know what to ticket you for.  Your fate is in your hands- if you can't talk your way out of this one, then…get your 1976 or older vehicle smog certified- happens all the time.  In my opinion, having the 'Historical Vehicle' plate is gonna look cool and ad more 'Aw' to your car's presence.  Maybe it is petty, but I don't have the budget to rebuild my engine, yet, but I want to daily drive it and it runs so freakin well.  Does not NEED a rebuild, I am just paranoid about the smog certification process with such an old car which, in my case, was built with Federal emission, not California emissions requirements.  Figured out a way, and was sharing it with my peers and fellow B and 210 enthusiasts.  Peace Brothers/Sisters.

-Octavio

Come to GA your car may rust faster but no problems getting a tag to drive with. Yesterday I went to my local tag office to get a tag and title transferred to my name. I had no proof of insurance, a mistake on the bill of sale and after the allotted time for transfer. In and out of the tag office in 7min with a new tag,title transfer for $20.00. No emissions ever.

• Like 1

CA DMV website Historical Vehicle link.  

As that site says:

As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Which means it's illegal to have these plates on a car you drive to work every day. That's all I was saying. If it's on a car you only drive every once in awhile (mainly to shows/meets/fun runs) you are certainly within the letter of the law. 

Plus, I bet they wouldn't even know what to ticket you for. 

No current registration.    ^_^

• Like 1

Makes sense.  But, doubt it is illegal.  "primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose"  

Interpretaion of 'other similar purpose' is up in the air, legally.  

Either way, registered, legally.

-Octavio

• 2 weeks later...