Capital15

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

So I found these aftermarket headlight frames with some chrome shiny goodness.

DSCN1813_zpsc6b68ba7.jpg

The holes for the clips that the screws for the signal lens go into are a bit too big so the clips don't fit snugly. I was thinking of putting gorilla glue on the clips to secure them better. I won't be trying to fix these until I see how the frames fit on the car which won't be til this weekend. If anyone has better ideas about getting the clips to fit I'd like to hear them.

DSCN1814_zpseb9238ee.jpg

Went to Autozone this morning to pick up a couple things and asked if they might have clips that small. The smallest they had actually fit perfect! Sweet! Only one hole was still too darn big and the next size up they had was too big. I'll have to check the hardware stores. If not, I'm gluing that shit. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

The next size up they had was waaay too big. I'm going to try and find something a little closer if I can and if it's close enough, like you said, I'ma file that sumabitch! I honestly didn't even think I'd find clips that were close enough let alone actually fit.

Operation Stanley's Facelift complete. Here's the before:

DSCN1816_sm_zpscf27eb66.jpg

Took off the grille and this shit happened. One of these stupid plastic clips broke on the other side.

DSCN1819_sm_zpsf8220323.jpg

So I got some license plate fasteners to pop in that hole and screw the grille down when I put it back on.

Stanley with no face. Started putting on the new headlight frames.

DSCN1817_sm_zpsc919324f.jpg

Masked off the chrome

IMG_1255_zps93757282.jpg

Painting vents kinda sux

DSCN1822_sm_zps70a25b6f.jpg

Here he is put back together and painted with new headlight frames in place.

DSCN1824_sm_zpsb6e1db2e.jpg

Passenger side frame fit nicely. Driver's side not so much.

DSCN1825_sm_zpsd47d1474.jpg

A little bummed about that fit. Everything about that one was a pain. All the holes for the clips for the signal lens screws were too big especially on the driver's side. Got some of those license plate fasteners and they fit nicely except for one. Hole still too big so I secured it with gorilla glue. Stanley was hit on the driver's side about the bumper and the front was pushed so it had to be straightened. I'm not entirely sure if that's why the fit of that frame is so bad or not. The original is a bit off but not as much as this one. I haven't decided if it annoys the shit out of me yet or not. Looks great from the front but when you look at it from the side you see how recessed the frame is. Currently painting my originals as I may pop those back on. Still undecided.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Not sure where these originated but probably overseas somewhere. I saw them on ebay as well as another pair from Taiwan that came with the signal lens. These actually shipped from South El Monte which isn't that far from LA but no signal lens. I went for these cause they were closer and would get here faster. I wanted them in time for Nissan Jam next week. Now I'm curious how the Taiwan ones would fit.

Stanley was hit on the driver's side about the bumper and the front was pushed so it had to be straightened. I'm not entirely sure if that's why the fit of that frame is so bad or not. 

Looking at it, it certainly looks like that shunt has got the fender out of shape. 

Looking at it, it certainly looks like that shunt has got the fender out of shape. 

Some stupid girl ran a stop sign and clipped Stanley in the bumper and moved the whole thing over. I wanted to kill her. This was about 23 or 24 years ago now I guess.

stanleyaccident1_sm_zpsdd842e50.jpg

stanleyaccident3_sm_zps5863a81c.jpg

stanleyaccident2_sm_zps81a5b1a9.jpg

The body shop had to straighten him out. It was really as far as they could go so his smile is forever crooked. But the original headlight frame did have an offset (which I believe is circumstance from that accident) to it but not as bad as this. I may keep them on. It'll just be another one of his quirks. Or until it does bug me and I put the originals back on. I already hit them with chrome paint. Now I have to finish masking the chrome trim area and then hit with black.

Was it yours then as well? If so, I'm very impressed. You've done a great job of keeping up with it.    :thumbup:

Yup! My dad bought him for me back in '89. Stanley was a salvaged vehicle. Someone scrapped him for having a dent in the trunk :sneaky: A guy by the name of Walker rescued him and had him for sale at his small used car lot. My dad saw this and brought him home. I liked him so Walker fixed the trunk, repainted and my dad bought him. My first ever car. About 8 months later my dad passed away so it became all the more special to me other than the fact that it's a great running car. I've had him painted probably 4 or 5 times over the years. When I started my resto a couple years ago I had the seats reupholstered, new headliner, carpet, back dash and visors redone. This is what started my trips to the junkyard to find missing plastic pieces and parts and eventually I found ratsun where I've been able to get a few things and the knowledge from others to get things fixed. Ebay has been amazing for aftermarket stuff. Even bought a NOS radio on there. Haven't seen one since. I bought some brochures off ebay so I could see what the 210 looked like new cause I was going for the stock look. Found rims and wheel caps at the boneyard which was sweeeet! I really like the wheel caps. I've enjoyed making Stanley practically like new again. Although sometimes I just hate to take something apart cause I just know something is going to break and it's usually plastic. Like those grille clips. Urgh! But I love this car and I'll keep him forever....in a garage....where he can't get hurt :hug: But I do run him early in the morning when everyone is still asleep and we have the road to ourselves. Datsun love :wub:

• Like 2

That hit could be cause that headlight frames aren't fitting right. That corner end of frame looks like still push out. Your old frames fit better?

The old frame was a little off on that side but not as much as this new one. I'm pretty certain it's off because of the hit he took. The bumper is still a little off to this day.

You going to Nissan Jam next weekend?

Yup! My dad bought him for me back in '89. Stanley was a salvaged vehicle. Someone scrapped him for having a dent in the trunk :sneaky: A guy by the name of Walker rescued him and had him for sale at his small used car lot.

My dad bought me my first car in '89 too. It's was a '79 210, almost exactly the same color as yours.    ^_^

Sadly, I only kept it for about four years. Sold it to buy my first 510. I'm glad I bought that 510, but would give anything to have that 210 back...   :crying:

I'll be there, my brother what's to take his b310 and my 310 still under construction, bump..

Cool! Stanley won't be the only B310 :)

My dad bought me my first car in '89 too. It's was a '79 210, almost exactly the same color as yours.    ^_^

Sadly, I only kept it for about four years. Sold it to buy my first 510. I'm glad I bought that 510, but would give anything to have that 210 back...   :crying:

I wish we still had my dad's 510. I learned to drive in that car. The clutch was going and my mom didn't want to mess with it so she sold it. She was also getting older and to the point she didn't want a manual shift anymore. I grew up with a crap ton of Datsuns. We had a couple of wagons, a couple of 510s and my 210. We also had an old Chevy truck which my brother took when our dad passed away. I think it was a '67. I wish I had pics of all the Datsuns we had. Parents weren't the best at taking pictures for some reason. I never thought I was that ugly. LOL!

I wish we still had my dad's 510. I learned to drive in that car. The clutch was going and my mom didn't want to mess with it so she sold it. 

Funny, that's sort of how I got the 210...   :rofl:

Previous owner had bought it new, then when the clutch starting going out she didn't want to put a new clutch in it and sold it. I learned to drive stick in it before we fixed the clutch. then learned how to replace a clutch.   ^_^