how long is the factory rear axle?

clov311

i just acquired a 1969 1600 and was thinking about a ka/aluminum drive shaft/ford 8.8 rearend combo so i need to know how much i need to get taken out of the rearend. i already found someone to do the work, looks like it will run about 350 for the d/s, dont know on the rearend

so far i've just started work on building a megasquirt for the setup and i'm waiting to sell my s13 to fund this thing.

also who is the best for motor mounts, i've looked at mckenny, spriso, datsport etc.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The H-190 is almost unbreakable. The only reason for swapping to Ford is to get a cheap LSD and rear disc brakes. Why aluminum d/s? Just have a Ford U joint put on the stock one.

right, i want the hole package, big brakes, unbreakable lms, and what ever rear brakes i end up getting then i need to get the aluminum d/s made because i have a ka driveshaft and tranny but the drive shaft is a two peace and there is no where to mount the second point under the firewall

for 350 it would be worth it to get the diff done, the motor in, then just drop it by the drive shap shop to finnish up.

ANYBODY! with experience swapping motors, what kits are the best? i'lll fab what i have too, can a datsun 1600 510 engine swaP WORK IN a ROADSTER

The 510 L16 can be made to fit but you said you have a KA tranny and this won't work properly with the L16.

If you are planning an L16 then a Ford rear end shortened and a custom aluminum drive shaft is over kill. Leave the Roadster rear in there, it would take 4 1/2 L16 to come close to stressing the H-190. The Roadster drive shaft will fit any tranny you use even if shortened.

If you haven't decided on a motor then the rear end can wait.

Clov311,

I love Ratsun but for Roadster know how you need to look at www.311s.org. Look up spriso and check out his swaps and the rearend work that he is doing. There is absolutely no one doing better work, period. He is doing an RX7 rear that is great, disk brakes and LSD. They are getting hard to find out here as he has bought them all up so I am actually thinking about using a Toyota AE86 setup. Should be about the same amount of work as the Mazda.

Mike

aka exit64

Clov311,

I love Ratsun but for Roadster know how you need to look at www.311s.org. Look up spriso and check out his swaps and the rearend work that he is doing. There is absolutely no one doing better work, period. He is doing an RX7 rear that is great, disk brakes and LSD. They are getting hard to find out here as he has bought them all up so I am actually thinking about using a Toyota AE86 setup. Should be about the same amount of work as the Mazda.

Mike

aka exit64

ah ha, i had read somewhere that the fb rear ends would work, but i was to understand that it was only gsl-se's i know of a small junkyard that has a gl i think is somewhat untouched.

i had a s4 tII way back when and loved it.

my plans for a motor has changed back and forth, i have a half built megasquirt 2 so any motor rotary or not is a go, my brother has a 13b-re hanging out but no turbos, i have a t3/t04b hanging out, he has a tII tranny, but i have a ka tranny and s14 driveshaft

so i think a ka will work the best, and i'll slap my turbo on it down the road. this way i wont have to move the fuel lines or run the exhaust around to the left side of the motor, pita.

then some suspension, and a front brake swap of some kind.

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9547&start=0 He sells the rear ends to people that want one already done and ready, LSD is the reason most swap as an LSD for the stock rear-end is very costly.

Also there are almost zero kits for adding on aftermarket parts, as for engines either the miata 1.6/1.8 or KA are the only two with no real major cutting involved that I've seen currently done.

A ford 8.8 isn't much of an upgrade over a H190, an L series would fit and use the same mount kit as a KA but the oilpump would probably hit the cross member unless you move the whole thing back. There is a kit for the DOHC KA try Les Cannady at Classic Datsun in California