Datsun 510 Race Car Transmission

I have a 1969 Datsun 510 Wagon Race Car. I race it on an oval 3/8 mile dirt track. I just got this car "done", but I'm already looking to make improvements (DUH). Anyway, it currently has a 5 speed transmission in it. it is not the 280Z style transmission. it has the normal shift pattern with reverse all the way to the right and then down. I raced it for the first time last weekend. I'm turning just over 7000 rpm's by the end of the straight away. I only use 1st and 2nd gear, because third makes me loose too much torque. I have a good 4 speed transmission in my storage building. If I install the 4 speed transmission, is the 2nd gear a little higher gear ratio and will it drop my RPM's a little. I don't want to blow my motor up with this 5 speed, if I can drop the rev's by simply swapping trannys. help me out guys, I'm pretty new to this stuff, although I've got three of the cars already!!!

here's the link to photobucket, if you want to see the Race Wagon.

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac301/Dirttrack510/1969%20Datsun%20510%20Wagon%20Race%20Car/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 280z or zx tranny has the 'normal' pattern with reverse below 5th. I don't know what to say as there were many ratios available depending on which car or year the tranny is out of. Perhaps a picture could narrow it down a bit. If you are only using 1st and 2nd then you don't even need a 5 or even a 4 speed in it.

What differential are you using? Have you thought about running a 4.375 or a 4.625 differential. Sounds like yours is way to high. This would allow you to hit 3rd gear briefly in the straight yet still have two lower gears for added torque.

The 280z or zx tranny has the 'normal' pattern with reverse below 5th. I don't know what to say as there were many ratios available depending on which car or year the tranny is out of. Perhaps a picture could narrow it down a bit. If you are only using 1st and 2nd then you don't even need a 5 or even a 4 speed in it.

What differential are you using? Have you thought about running a 4.375 or a 4.625 differential. Sounds like yours is way to high. This would allow you to hit 3rd gear briefly in the straight yet still have two lower gears for added torque.

If the ZX tranny has the reverse gear below 5th, then what transmission is it that has Reverse above 1st? I was told that was the 280Z tranny. As far as the rear end goes, I have no idea what gears are in there. I just had plans to switch up to a L20B motor real soon and though that if 2nd gear is longer in the four speed, I figured I'd swap the transmission with the motor. As far a shifting goes, the track is not really big enough to do much of it. Normally, when you shift people pass you, so most people just find a gear that works pretty good for the whole track. Last year I raced in an old Dodge Shadow (YUCK) and kept it in 3rd gear, but I was running 13 inch wheels (which in turn lowered my gearing). This Car has 14 inch wheels and I want to try to keep them on it. Thanks for help.

If the ZX tranny has the reverse gear below 5th, then what transmission is it that has Reverse above 1st? I was told that was the 280Z tranny. As far as the rear end goes, I have no idea what gears are in there. I just had plans to switch up to a L20B motor real soon and though that if 2nd gear is longer in the four speed, I figured I'd swap the transmission with the motor. As far a shifting goes, the track is not really big enough to do much of it. Normally, when you shift people pass you, so most people just find a gear that works pretty good for the whole track. Last year I raced in an old Dodge Shadow (YUCK) and kept it in 3rd gear, but I was running 13 inch wheels (which in turn lowered my gearing). This Car has 14 inch wheels and I want to try to keep them on it. Thanks for help.

If you have a tranny with:

1 3 5

2 4 R

then likely you have an FS5W71B from a 620 truck,280z (or zx) or a Maxima. That's a lot of different ratios to choose from. Could have a 2.77, 2.246, 2.071, 1.851, 1.858 second gear ratio in it. If you have a picture of the passenger side of the tail stock I could maybe narrow down what you might have.

BTW the stock 510 4 speed uses a 2.013 2nd gear ratio.

Easiest thing would be to have two slightly larger tires on rims to drop the RPMs. 5 min to switch your ratio back and forth to take advantage of track conditions.

If you have a tranny with:

1 3 5

2 4 R

then likely you have an FS5W71B from a 620 truck,280z (or zx) or a Maxima. That's a lot of different ratios to choose from. Could have a 2.77, 2.246, 2.071, 1.851, 1.858 second gear ratio in it. If you have a picture of the passenger side of the tail stock I could maybe narrow down what you might have.

BTW the stock 510 4 speed uses a 2.013 2nd gear ratio.

Easiest thing would be to have two slightly larger tires on rims to drop the RPMs. 5 min to switch your ratio back and forth to take advantage of track conditions.

I'll see if I can get a couple photos taken this weekend.

DatsunTranny001.jpg

Yup, this (above) is the stock 510 F4W63 4 speed, not a 5 speed.

The 4 speed from a 510 has a square removable bottom pan, speedometer cable on the drivers side (the only 4 speed to do so) heavily ribbed case resembling a waffle and an external 'A' style shift mechanism.

Both are F4W63 4 speeds. The bottom is a 26" one from a 510, the top is about 31.5" and is from a 610/710.

trans4speedlongandshort-1.jpg

Mine measures about 26" long. Thanks for the help. I order the 1978 200sx Performance clutch kit for my car. I was told today that it will work perfectly with my L20B engine and stock 4 speed transmission. Thanks again to everyone for your assistance. I can't hardly wait to try out the bigger engine on the track :hyper: . Hoping for a little horsepower improvement :thumbup: . L20B (W58 head), mild cam, header, and dual DHLA 40mm dellorto carbs. I'm not sure what to expect, but it's got to be better than the old L16 with a single weber 32/36 carb.