Datsun 510 280zx brake upgrade

Hi guys

I have a '72 510 that mostly sees track time. I will post a pic later. Any way, I have the 280zx brakes all around. The car brakes awsome on the track. I don't feel any fade to be honest with you but there is always room for improvement. My question: Is there a caliper/rotor upgrade for these struts? I heard people were installing z32 calipers and rotors with modifications. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Julio

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ZX all around? what do you have on the rear?

what size rims are you running?

Hi RoadRace. I have 15X7 rims. Currently I have been racing with RB's but I just bought a set of ZX turbo wheels (15X6?) which will be seeing the track time. You should be able to run 14's without issues though.

For the rears I also have the ZX calipers. I had a bracket made for the calipers. Are you planning on running ZX all around?

Julio

Hi RoadRace. I have 15X7 rims. Currently I have been racing with RB's but I just bought a set of ZX turbo wheels (15X6?) which will be seeing the track time. You should be able to run 14's without issues though.

For the rears I also have the ZX calipers. I had a bracket made for the calipers. Are you planning on running ZX all around?

Julio

i want to keep the 13's. i have the ZX parts for the front but will probably be running the Brakeman Calipers from Specialty Engineering so i can keep the 13's. i haven't heard of any oem rear disk swaps where guys keep the 13's, so i haven't committed to the rear disks just yet. if you could throw a 13 on the back of your car and tell me if it fits, that'd be cool.

http://www.specialtyengineering.ca/datsun_brake_upgrades.html

i got a set of 240SX 15 x 6 Steelies from the wrecker and i was going to have them widened to 7" and have the offset changed and try them out - but i haven't got there yet.

Yeah, I have basically the same setup but went with Maxima calipers in the rear, the stock 13" steelies don't fit at all. Some diamond racing wheels probably would as I had a set of those back when I had the Miata and those calipers were almost as big.

i want to keep the 13's. i have the ZX parts for the front but will probably be running the Brakeman Calipers from Specialty Engineering so i can keep the 13's. i haven't heard of any oem rear disk swaps where guys keep the 13's, so i haven't committed to the rear disks just yet. if you could throw a 13 on the back of your car and tell me if it fits, that'd be cool.

http://www.specialty...e_upgrades.html

Well it so happens that my brother has 13X7's Libre on his bubble flare 510...and his car is in my garage. This weekend I will be bleeding the brakes getting ready for the track. I will give you an up date. I hope they fit!

any pics of your parking brake set up for the rears? I have ZX front and 200SX / maxima rears and was looking for some ideas. cool.gif

I'm not running a parking brake. I myself am looking for ideas in that department...sorrysad.gif

Well it so happens that my brother has 13X7's Libre on his bubble flare 510...and his car is in my garage. This weekend I will be bleeding the brakes getting ready for the track. I will give you an up date. I hope they fit!

cool - let me know. i'm running american racing 13 x 7 slots

• 2 weeks later...

cool - let me know. i'm running american racing 13 x 7 slots

I have not forgotten about you RoadRace. I have not had a chance to get around to this. I am hoping I can get to it this weekend...