how to change your valve stem seals.

Skib

A quick write up on valve stem seals

if your L is burning oil on start up and acceleration its probably your seals. they get old, dry and hard and start to leak.

you can do it head on or off.

if your heads on stuff some rope in the cyl with the piston all the way up to hold the valves in and then remove your valve spring. but thats already pretty common knowledge around here so Im not really covering that part.

(if its not common knowledge to you, go look it up and come back :D )

the old one on the left cracked and broke when removed and was hard and brittle.

the new seal on the right

IMG_0125-2.jpg

and a short video on how to actually change the seals. very easy to do.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow never heard of stuffing rope in the cyl. Have to try that next time. I've always used compressed air. Rig up a compression gauge hose with a fitting and use my compressor at 80 - 90 psi and the valves will never move. of course valves need to be shut first.

Wow never heard of stuffing rope in the cyl. Have to try that next time. I've always used compressed air. Rig up a compression gauge hose with a fitting and use my compressor at 80 - 90 psi and the valves will never move. of course valves need to be shut first.

Also if there is loss of air pressure, leak or whatever you have a problem. The rope trick allows you to leave it overnight for as long as you want or do it on the side of the road.

As soon as the rocker assembly is off, all the valves are closed.

• 4 months later...

i know this thread is older but how may i ask do you get the valve springs back on while the head is on the engine, i had a hell of a time using every kind of valve spring compressor you could think of while the head was off!

I use this kind of compressor while the head is on.

unnamed.jpg

...or do it on the side of the road.

What about camshaft removal, and re-timing the motor? The side of the road is not really a great place to be figuring this out...

Great vid!