Vin number break down

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my vin is near PL510102_._._._

The PO told me it is a 69 and a 70............. maybe because he replaced one or both quarterpanels

One quarterpanel is a 69.... one is a 70-73 ........ the valence is a 69...... and the PO said it used to have a 69 dash

What year is it? ........... I was hoping the 69 quarterpanel was original......... but after looking at the dimequarterly registry I think both quarter panels have been replaced

The 69 quarter looks original........... the 70-73 quarter has obviously been replaced because I can see the rivets and bondo holding the whole tailight panel/trunk spare tire well.

The PO had done alot of collision repair......... and then painted the whole car white so it looked good when I bought it..

He painted the door jams white....... and he must have removed the door tag........... Would a real 69 have smaller holes for the front turn signals on the core support? ....... because I cannot fit 70-73 turn signals in my core support...

One quarterpanel is a 69.... one is a 70-73 ........ the valence is a 69...... and the PO said it used to have a 69 dash

What year is it?

yours sounds like a johnny cash song.

the year bought is the date that it was registered, incorrectly refered to as the YOM, which isnt always the case.

if sold in feb 70 but was made in 69, likely reg as a 70. so much confusion!!!

yours sounds like a johnny cash song.

One day I devised myself a plan

That should be the envy of most any man

I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand

Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired

But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired

I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

I'd get it one piece at a time

And it wouldn't cost me a dime

The transmission was a '53

And the motor turned out to be a '73

And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone.

So we drilled it out so that it would fit

And with a little bit of help with an A-daptor kit

We had that engine runnin' just like a song

Now the headlight' was another sight

We had two on the left and one on the right

But when we pulled out the switch all three of 'em come on.

The back end looked kinda funny too

But we put it together and when we got thru

Well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail-fin

_______

The guy who put my car back together must have known I was gonna hack it anyway....

He kept telling me it was a late 69 because it had the arrow front side markers,, and square rear side markers.... :rofl:

• Haha 1

Getting a '69 510 . xxxxx Vin. PL510073571 Fuzz

\Maybe 1969 was it was first registered -- BUT ---

The zero in the sixth place indicates that the car was assembled in the first year of 510 model production which would make it a 1968 model production unit. A true 1969 510 would have a VIN of PL5101xxxxx, not PL5110xxxxx.

\Maybe 1969 was it was first registered -- BUT ---

The zero in the sixth place indicates that the car was assembled in the first year of 510 model production which would make it a 1968 model production unit. A true 1969 510 would have a VIN of PL5101xxxxx, not PL5110xxxxx.

I'll let ya'll know this weekend for sure, but thanks for that information. That's exactly what I thought also from lookin up some info on google.

Fuzz

Mike, that's actually not true. Nissan didn't start doing the leading number model year difference until the mid-70s. Prior cars were simply sequential, starting with 000001 and going to 999999. 510 sedans built into July 1969 had zeros; obviously they aren't '68s if the build date (not registration date) was 7/69. Cars with 100xxx numbers started rolling out in July 1969, cars with 200xxx in August 1970, 300xxx in June 1971, 400xxx in April 1972.

Wagons were different, with the numbers starting at a higher level (800,000 through 9xxxxxx).

• 8 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Well my info shows July '69 (start of the '70 model year) starting with 095,000 car number. The '71 model year started in August of '70 and car number 200,011 so based on this you have a '70.

A '69 would have narrow longish amber front fender marker lights located at the front of the supersonic body line and round red side marker lamps on the rear fenders. The speedometer is rectangular and the needle sweeps side to side.

In '70 new DOT guidelines standardized these marker lamps to larger rectangular red and amber. The speedometer is in a square pod but a round gauge somewhat like a traditional tachometer. 

If you have a 510 you should join these guys anyway... http://www.the510realm.com/ ... I think they have a registry for 510 car numbers and can confirm my info.

The Japanese didn't really document vin #'s well, like domestic muscle cars did!  datzenmike is correct.........1968-1969 had a "sweeper" speedo, 1970-1973 had a round speedo, but people have changed dash boards around before!  The 70-73 cars are basically the same, with emission changes, some MINOR trim changes, some MINOR electrical changes etc........but again, basically the same!  The 1973 had some "1973 only" parts ie illuminated switches, rear defrost (USA only 1973, Canada had more), so the 73 can have a l'il more value to the right buyer!

Some 1969 cars sat on the dealer lots beyond Jan 1 1970, so SOME states would title a 1969 as a 1970 cuz the car sold after Jan 1.  Other than that anamoly, I think most if not all 1970-1973 round speedo cars are titled correctly, unless somebody tampered with a vin & chassis! 

1980 was the first year of the US government requiring the 17-digit fixed VIN structure.  Many other countries have followed suit but not sure when exactly for any of them. Japan domestic production still uses the chassis number system, but I believe with some indication of exact model year.  MY is much more important now for certification purposes than it used to be.

The US VIN system rolls over every 30 years, so in 2010 MY it want back to letter "A" as the year indicator.

• 2 years later...

Yours is an HL510, also known as an A10.  Later incarnation of the PL510 and not the same chassis.  Some similarities exist.

W is for wagon.  This appears the same as with the PL510, where WPL was used on the wagons.

Nissan wanted to capitalize on the famous 510 name so they named it a 510 but the actual code for the body was A10 just like the S10 was the '77-'79 200sx. I wouldn't call your car a 510 or people will think you have the original PL510. Call it an A10 or an HL510 rather than a 510.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2010 at 2:53 PM, hang_510 said:

the year bought is the date that it was registered, incorrectly refered to as the YOM, which isnt always the case.

if sold in feb 70 but was made in 69, likely reg as a 70. so much confusion!!!

I hope this clears things up. The Japanese auto makers all do this. June is the cut off. So if any car is manufactured from June (6) or after it is considered the next year. So mine is a 1970. 

DDF2C1A7-B01B-4917-9B75-FE2F52D1C1E4.jpeg

Edited by DARIN 510
  • Like 1

Always always always order parts using the build date and month on the vehicle. From June of the previous year to June of the current year there were changes, often major. Around Jan 1980 (half way through the model year) round headlamps changed to rectangular for example and the wiring, grill, headlight pots and perhaps the rad support also changed.

Just curious if anyone could guess what month my 510 was built. It’s the build thread Turd bucket 510. I know it’s a 69 and the number is PL510-053808. Whoever painted the car back in the day removed the door tag as usual for 68-69 510s 🤦‍♂️