Distributor Wires on a Z24 motor

Coils should have a resistance of 0.75 to 1.0 ohms. I only use the Nissan coils as aftermarket parts are like flashy fishing lures.... they catch more fishermen then fish.

I'm really wondering how you are 'using the exhaust side trigger' to run the intake plugs. If you have wired both coils to the exhaust side that's going to be hard on the module.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply switched the trigger signal coming from the exhaust side coil to the intake coil.  I have since seen a post somewhere saying the exhaust side plugs are actually in a better position for complete combustion than the intake side.  Any conformation on that?

I'm guessing I can replace the module in the distributor to restore signal to both sides, correct?

No truth to that. A single plug will work just as well because this is almost a hemi head combustion chamber and they are the most efficient shape. Both plugs fire together at the exact same time all the time. The reason for dual plugs is the efficiency gained from two ignition sources. Like lighting a candle at both ends it burns completely in less time. As it burns in less time, it requires less ignition advance. This is advantageous as there is less time to form nitrogen dioxide. Less time for compression induced pinging and less time for the heat of combustion to be absorbed into the combustion chamber walls allowing it to do more work pushing down on the piston.

I have to assume you are using the exhaust side of the ignition module to fire both coils. While this may work it probably won't last in the long term.

No, I just switched the module exhaust side wire to the intake coil and the modual intake wire to the exhaust side coil.  For some reason, even though the module intake wire won't fire the plugs, there must be some signal left to tell the Hyfire it's trying to work because the Hyfire still sends a tach signal.  The Hyfirs isnt connected to a coil because it won't fire the plugs either.  Left it getting its signal from the intake side of the module.  Don't want to connect it to the exhaust signal side of the module incase it was the cause OS signal loss to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

HyFire is Mallory's version of MSD.  I only put it on for the tach trigger, since I could not get a proper trigger from the stock ignition.  I'm thinking maybe the stock ignition wasn't triggering the tach because the intake side of the distributor isn't working.  I'm gonna hook the tach directly to the exhaust side coil and see if that works, if so I'll remove the CDI.

• 2 years later...

What year? '86-'89 Z24i or '90- KA24E???

Why would you change it??? For one the high pressure fuel pump needs to be replaced with a 2-4 PSI one. Another is the EFI intake won't take a carburetor on it.

The 'distributor' on the Z24i (EFI) is called a crank angle sensor (CAS) and the optical signal from it and many other sensors from the throttle body help the EFI to compute the injection signal and the spark advance. If the throttle body is replaced with a carburetor I don't know how this will affect the ignition.